Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What do they do?
  • As a newbie to Goldfrapp, what does Alison and co do when they are not "Goldfrapping"
    Is it normal that you can't subscribe to the website or get any response from either Facebook page.
    Do they go into a quiet phase or are they backing off from the limelight?
    Thanks???
  • 12 Comments sorted by
  • Well there s an interesting question! I'm sure everyone on here will postulate some bizarre theories as to " where they go / what do". Alison has commented before that people don't recognise her when she's " out and about"., being a non- pop star I guess. Which begs the question, does she wear a false beard and go underground? Does she moonlight in Aldis? My personal theory is that both her and Will make like Wombles in Wiltshire and go underground, collecting little snippets of weirdness to magic into wonderful music ( we have to be patient though and there's no point hunting them with a bag and a spade because they're elusive creatures).
    I always did think Will is a bit Womblish. In a good way of course.
  • Will is surely a music-o-holic, what with his other sidelines in the Moog ensemble, TV scores and classical writing, producing etc. Maybe he takes a bath sometimes?

Alison works on the checkout at my local Aldi. If I whistle a snippet of "Deer Stop" when I get to the till, she'll slip me a Paper Bag of broken biscuits and Horses Tears, or maybe some Black Cherries or...oh, I'll leave the rest to your imagination...

Angie is still my girlfriend.
  • I don't know about the fb page but people have mentioned comments and such from Alison on the twit.  Don't hold your hopes up, she doesn't do it often and I can't think of anybody mentioning much lately.  But, I've been a bit distracted for awhile.
  • Thanks KatRobin, whisperit and whickwithy for your comments.
    It may be because I am late on the scene, but it does seem that such a musical talent is being a bit stifled by non communication. Or is that just me?
    'Cheers'.
  • Ali's not much of a sharer Tompat. Suggest you follow someone like K T Tunstall on Twitter, who is brilliant at it.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Tompat said:

As a newbie to Goldfrapp, what does Alison and co do when they are not "Goldfrapping"
    Is it normal that you can't subscribe to the website or get any response from either Facebook page.
    Do they go into a quiet phase or are they backing off from the limelight?
    Thanks???

Alison spends quite a bit of her time on instagram posting really quite beautiful photo's of lovely countryside or her dog being adorable :)

will just vanishes. lol.
  • You know, you make a good point, tompat.  They are not the type of people that are willing to play to the press for the sake of their music and success.  It's just the way they are.  I find it interesting because I think it would be a lot better place if no one played to the press.  The results have just become embarrassingly apparent in the form of Donald Chump.  I think we will get there and rather soon.  It would be nice if all of the bullshit would end like a door slamming shut but probably not that quick.  Some of the most staggeringly good musicians are impeded by poor middle-men and unwillingness to do silly things to sell their tunes  The acceptance of their music suffers.  It just about kills me at times.  Actually, Alison was willing to put on quite a show but I don't believe for a minute that she enjoyed it.  Ha!  Better than Will who seldom even went on-stage.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2016-04-05 10:03:27
  • Their elusiveness is what makes them my favourite artists ( apart from the music of course). I admire the fact that they both do their own separate musical / photographic ventures too. It saddens me in one way that they don't get the attention they justly deserve when so many talentless non-entities do, but hey, we're the grown ups here, and Alison and Will gain my love and respect for their hard work, creative longevity and non-manufactured honest talent. I hope they get to spend as much time with their loved ones as they do working. And ( my last word!) I don't care if Alison doesn't " share" or comment over-much! Her photographs say more than any words could, and she does share those. Lucky us.
  • Thanks U-T, cookie_Munster, whickwithy, and KatRobin, Lovely2cu.
    Agree the point about stupid press. The only problem of being elusive is the fact that WE have difficulty obtaining material.
    Unfortunately, if you want widespread recognition of your talent, you have to be 'out there' to a certain extent.
    I follow Kylie Minogue and she hasn't done too bad by being in the limelight, without being 'silly'!!
    I will just have to keep digging around for 'footage'.
    Thanks all...
  • I guess that's the point, tompat.  Some people are so introverted and into their music only that they really have not desire to engage anyone with anything other than their music.  Unfortunately, this is often the best musicians/composers.  And, their success suffers because of it.  One could say that they are not working hard for their success but I think that is inaccurate.  They just want to concentrate on life and their music rather than fascinating people with their coolness.  Yeah, Kylie has done very well and I like her music.  She's pretty entertaining, also, when I see her on Graham Norton.
  • Interesting point you make about remaining elusive Katniss. Because they do not court the media, they remain 'our' band, and I am very pleased with that!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Not me, really.  It's just sad, to me, that such tremendous music is shared by so few.  I feel the same way about Jem.  And, actually, I wouldn't mind, in either case, if they were insanely rich.  They truly deserve it.

And, don't worry, UT, I think we would still have our nice little niche here with little or no disturbance.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!