Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
sciencey stuff and astronomy type things.
  • 83 Comments sorted by
  • ^ Just visit the Cantina bar
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
    Post edited by LuDux at 2017-04-27 18:22:21
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • ^I work with 1& 4. Nice guys !
  • ^I work with 1& 4. Nice guys !

Erectus.. Habilis.. Do you work at White House?
    Post edited by LuDux at 2017-04-27 18:51:59
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • No 5 there reminds me of the biology teacher I had when I was in my teens. Ah....Friday afternoons, str8 after lunch. He used to sit on the edge of his desk swinging his legs right in front of me and spitting bits of his lunch from off of his beard onto my exercise book ( or worse).
  • Science teachers aren't exactly the most erm attractive are they? Lol. I had this rather infamous science teacher with a very peculiar surname that no-one could prounce. I called him Mr McGallivery. I still remember him going ape because someone poisoned the fish in the tank at the back of the classroom.

He went absolutely berserk. I felt bad for him and the fish.

Highlight of science was blowing up test tubes for me. I hated physics and chemistry but i do like human biology.

I have a few tales from secondary school. Design and Technology!! God almighty that was hilarious using the sander machine and drills. I couldn't even make a jigsaw out of wood.

And DO NOT get me started on Ceramics or Textiles either. Had to make this STUPID cushion and in the end my mom did it for me!! Hahaha!! Got to love yet mom for doing your work for you. Mind you asking my mom for help on Maths- forget it.

I'm the one teaching her instead!!
  • Getting back to astrology and the universe- I did have a very old book belonging to my great grandad explaining the universe. I love space, and the planet's. All the stars and cosmos.

And starsigns. I don't take it that seriously but I'm intrigued by it.

And what exactly is beyond our galaxy? It's very strange.
  • Science teachers aren't exactly the most erm attractive are they?

If I were dead, could I do this?
  • It's true though. They all look strange...overgrown hair and weird eyebrows.

The nicest looking men in teaching are the PE teachers and Business Studies ones. But back then I wasn't really into boys. I was into my work! Lol. I thought boys were smelly and stupid.

Actually they still are smelly and stupid!! (PMSL)
  • I can't remember, was it potassium or phosphorus that blows up the test tube with water? That was fun.

And, of course, the teacher said, "please choose a small piece"... Yeah, right.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-05-01 06:36:00
  • I can't remember, was it potassium or phosphorus that blows up the test tube with water? That was fun.

And, of course, the teacher said, "please choose a small piece"... Yeah, right.

It will have been potassium I expect, WW. White phosphorus ignites spontaneously on contact with the air, which is also fun, but doesn't do a lot with water.

Unsupervised access to the chemistry store cupboard during breaktimes was the highlight of my schooldays. Slightly miraculous that I - and the school - survived.
  • Yes I think it is potassium. And turning substances different colours. I miss those days when it was carefree with no stresses.
  • White phosphorus sounds fun too. I don't know if you ever saw GI Jane with Demi Moore, but it had a great line. The doctor asks her why she joined and she took offense saying she didn't ask the men that question. Oh, yes I do. What was the answer? They like to blow shit up.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2017-05-01 11:49:37
  • You've prompted me to remember some Health and Safety at school stories, WW. Not so carefree, either, serenity! The teachers at my secondary school were clueless.

In a metalwork lesson, I was sprayed with molten aluminium when our teacher demonstrated the "safe" way of casting. You never saw anyone move so fast as he grabbed hold of my arm, dragged me past the sink and dumped me outside the school nurse's office, "Now wait there!" he yelled, as smoke rose from my blazer, my hair and face.

In a PE lesson, we were told to sprint as fast as possible to the wall. I tripped and knocked myself unconscious (and broke my arm). The PE teacher waited for me to regain consciousness, then said he would drive me to the A&E department about 15 minutes away. I was laid on the back seat and off we went. After 20 minutes, we came to a halt, and the PE teacher jumped out. "Won't be a minute", he said. When he came back, he was clutching a bottle of whiskey and a packet of fags - we'd taken a detour to the off-license on the way.

• I did Chemistry night class when I was at school ( yeah, we had chemistry back in those day), and we were taught by an American teacher called Mrs Ault. She was a fine looking woman, quite young; probably only 10 years older than us, and in these after school classes, she would smoke. Well she did until we knocked up a little black powder and mixed it in with the ash in her ashtray. Drag, flick, flick. Drag, put in in the ashtray. WHOOSH! What we used to call, a genie!
    We were not popular but boys will be boys!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!