Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Record Store Day Special - Felt Mountain Coloured Vinyl
  • 129 Comments sorted by
  • OOh just shipped..... :O
  • Yep. I've had the email from Recordstore as well.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Just got my copy tonight, wow love it.
  • just got my EU white vinyl, i must say that this edition is way better than the USA RSD edition, ok the cover and inner cover are not as good as the original in terms of quality, but the new edition has the right colour labels and not the black and white ones as per the USA edition, and it is 180gram, the USA edition is deffo not 180gram
  • Yep, got mine today. Want to unwrap it and play, but then again, I don't. Decisions, decisions !
  • For those interested, the USA RSD disc weighs 128g, the Euro version, 185g.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-11-14 11:25:22
  • Thus proving that theEuro version is superior. Without rehashing previous long discussions about vinyl v digital, and whether 180g vinyl is better than normal weight, I am firmly of the opinion that 180g is better. In the good old days, many records were pressed out of Columbian Polyvinyl, and most records were actually made from previous records that were returned to record companies as unsold; these were then crushed and melted down and the vinyl repressed as new records. This introduced foriegn bodies into the material and thus increased the potential for snaps, crackles and pops ( cereal complex as we dubbed it) on the new record. All the best pressing, Japanese imports for example) used virgin polyvinyl and thus gave better performance.
    As this is a white pressing, I am guessing it is virgin vinyl. The movements of the stylus in the record groove are measured in nanometers, so any reciprocal movement in the vinyl as the stylus passes would reduce the overall displacement of the stylus in relation to the coil in the cartridge, thus changing the information recorded originally by the vinyl cutter into the shell metal copy of the record from which all the vinyl ones are stamped.
    IMHO, 180g vinyl will distort less as the stylus passes, due to its greater mass, thus giving a more accurate recreation of the original sound wave.
    I played the 180g version yesterday afternoon on a Linn Sondek and this is the first time I have heard Felt Mountain on vinyl. I have to say it was like seeing an old friend again after many years. The sound stage is terrific and you can appreciate just what a delicate, and at the same time, expressive voice Alision has. The high notes on Pilots and Utopia make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Even Oompah Radar, which is a song I have never particularly liked, on CD at least, takes on a new persona and grandeur.
    Absolutely cracking.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-11-15 11:03:41
  • Well, guess who is at No 5 in the Vinyl Records chart !
    Viva la vinyl!
    https://twitter.com/officialcharts/status/668068356138795011

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!