Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 138 Comments sorted by
  • Funny thing about Toyah is that the only song of hers I can remember is Its A Mystery. I remember finding her very scary as a kid! I need to go listen to some I suppose.
  • There's the rub as they say. Toyah is remembered for Its a Mystery and I want to be Free, but they are probably the two most commercial tracks she ever released.
    They both come from an album called Anthem, and this is a slice of the early 80's. The album after this, Changeling, is much darker. The two before, her freshman Sheep Farming in Barnet, and Sophmore The Blue Meaning, are also dark slices of post punk, or New Wave as it was called. Both are chaotic, energy infused and manic recordings.
    Go onto Spotify. Start with Anthem, then go back to Sheep Farming and listern to Computer, Our Movie, then hop on to Blue Meaning and listern to Visions ( Oh Visions is a gem !) and Insects, which is a song about the audience groping her at the front of the stage as she performs ( she always works very close to the fans).
    You may not really like it but you will get a fresh perspective.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Hmmm....I'm doing my Miss Marple thing again and deducing here that....
    A) if Toyah got close enough to her fans to let them grope her....
    B) so that was the REAL reason you're a fan....then
    C) it doesn't bode well for the music.
    But I'll keep an open mind and play with my Spot while I'm ironing on Sunday. I know how to ROCK!
  • Hi Kat
    Never groped Toyah. Hugged her a few times but Definatley no groping.
    Take the time to watch this; the Holy Grail of any true Toyah fan, the ATV Toyah Documentary from 1980. It is a fab period piece and will give you the only insight you need into what we find so charismatic about her. A great depiction of the music industry in 1980. It is peppered with her early music ( No It's a Mystery or I Want to be Free here) She has always worked really close to her audience ( the antihisis of Alison) and you can see Insects and the audience interaction around 15 minutes in. Great period ads in the middle and even an early Boy George before he was famous in the crowd at the nightclub around 43 minutes in.
    I still follow a lot of her philosophy in life, such as, 'If you can't beat them, join them, then corrupt them' .
    Take the time and enjoy, then report back for a Q & A ! ( open to anyone interested) .

• My first thought was "Well that sounds generic", my second thought was "How's his piddly wee voice going to match up here?" https://amp.twimg.com/v/d6cd9589-7497-413a-9114-a67189a22f77
  • It's Dog Shite.
  • To be honest, I quite like the orchestration, very Bond, but then his voice starts and I think, Oh dear! It is particularly irritating when he goes up to the upper register.
    It makes me wonder how much of a free reign you are given when you do a Bond theme, or whether you are given a fairly tight framework in which to work.
    Could have been so much better.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-09-25 16:14:01
  • To be honest, I quite like the orchestration, very Bond, but then his voice starts and I think, Oh dear! It is particularly irritating when he goes up to the upper register.
    It makes me wonder how much of a free reign you are given when you do a Bond theme, or whether you are given a fairly tight framework in which to work.
    Could have been so much better.

i do agree. the orchestration is great. very bond. but it just doesn't seem to kick off... it just stays at this kind of snails pace throughout. And yes... his voice. yikes!
  • Sam Smith claims it only took him 20 minutes to write the song - it shows.
    To think they could have had a unique theme song by Alison, full of emotion, and beautifully crafted by Will :-(
    To think they could have had a unique theme song by Alison, full of emotion, and beautifully crafted by Will :-(

i kind of think he shouldn't be proud of the fact it took him 20mins to write it. lol. just kind of shows how committed he was... too much work and not enough play time...

Hi Peter. Seems a long time since we have seen you here. All well with you?
  • Not to defend what is likely musical drivel of the Adele variety, but you might know as well as anyone, Cookiee, that inspiration often comes in short & glorious bursts.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • True, many a great song has been laid down in 10 minutes. I am of the opinion though that, in this case, it is only in the breverty of effort that it will share comparison.
  • ....McDonald,....Michael McDonald......( orchestration, yes. Sam Smith, ........uhhmmmmmm, NO)
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-10-06 18:04:33
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Went to see Spectre on IMAX last week-end. In a word, fantastic. The opening scene is set in Mexico City at the Dia de Muertos - Day of the Dead celebrations and has a superb tracking shot as a character in a skull mask walks through the crowd. On IMAX, the detail in the shot was immense. Only bad point was this scene then cuts into the title sequence with the theme tune. I don't mind the song; in fact when it keeps popping up in the film as an orchestral score, it is lovely, it is just Smith's weedy little voice spoils it. Far too high a register for a male to sing in.
    Anyway, 5 stars for the film. Well worth 142 minutes of your time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!