Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Cartoons - The funny, the meaningful, the prophetic.
  • Cartoons have always been devices to make us laugh or think; sometimes both at the same time. Be they the wonderful and surrealistic world as portrayed in The Far Side by Gary Larson, or the politically motivated satire and caricature by publications such as Charlie Hebdo, they can be a conduit to put across a message or a view that is difficult to express in any other way. They can be the perfect medium to convey a thought, a concept or just a laugh in an easily understandable way.
    When done correctly, they can be spot on. I have many favourites that adorn my office walls. Please post your favourites here so we can all enjoy.
    To start, one from Gary Larsons world of aliens, monsters and strangely biped cows. It works at a very psychological level...
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-08-10 16:50:33
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • 11 Comments sorted by
  • Another favourite series of mine is Calvin and Hobbes. Who hasn't got an imaginary Tiger companion!
    One Pony Gurl should like as it sums up her view of the male psyche if I read her posts correctly. I
    looked just like Calvin when I was 6 !

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-08-10 16:36:10
  • Interestingly, I have another version of this cartoon; I would suspect earlier, where Calvins last line is " A squadron of planes nuking a city". Not sure when the planes became B1's or the city identified as New York, but the earlier version is, IMHO, more timeless.
  • There's a whole series on Snowmen.

• Another favourite series of mine is Calvin and Hobbes. Who hasn't got an imaginary Tiger companion!
    One Pony Gurl should like as it sums up her view of the male psyche if I read her posts correctly. I
    looked just like Calvin when I was 6 !

Haha! Yes. Have you ever wondered why the human race marks time by Wars? It's the male brain. There is a major difference between male and female brains, obviously. A Neuroscience report was released over a decade ago that explained it. There is an area of the prefrontal cortex (if I remember correctly) that controls 'forethought' and 'consequence'. This area of the brain takes much longer to mature in males, then also declines at a much faster rate when entering middle age..than a female brain.

Think about it, who in their right mind would build oil rigs in the middle of an ocean, in the middle of an established Hurricane route? (aka- Deep Water Horizon) Who would build four nuclear reactors on the shore of an island known for its earthquakes? (Fukushima) ....I mean I could go on and on and on about 'Man' made disasters...which brings me to War. There is little recognition of consequence or forethought...it's simply about destruction. Why evolution has created the male brain to this end is the real question here. It's a shame that time on this planet is marked by War. It's a shame for women, children, animals and the environment to be destroyed because of this male drama. I do know wonderful men who are pacifists too and value Peace..but essentially War is a male specified objective..which features a highly unevolved brain.

Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-08-11 00:48:51
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Thanks PG. No cartoons then?
  • Thanks PG what about the, widely published, women killing wild animals for fun?
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • I just love finger-pointing.  It is so useful.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-08-12 09:46:23
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Cartoons people. Happy thread ! We have enough angsty threads as it is.
  • Another favourite of mine is Fat Freddy's Cat. A ginger Tom cat who belongs to; well more cohabits with, Fat Freedy Freekowski, who is one of the Fabulous Furry Freak Bothers, and is an underground cartoon strip started in 1969 by Gilbert Shelton. Anarchic, anti-establishment with storylines mainly driven by drug taking or the acquisition of drugs ( well it was 1969 !) drinking, sex and the ongoing conflict against authority. The cat appears in the main cartoons but also has his own panels in a 'topper' strip on a lot of the pages; sort of like a 'B' feature. These have been collected into a series of Fat Freedy's Cat books which are a great read.
    The attached is typical.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!