Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 143 Comments sorted by
  • Oh, I should mention; not that I expect this to perk it up but one has to give it a try.  As you are a champion at the attempt, I think you understand.
  • Glad to see this thread back. I've read 2 books by Jed Rubenfeld recently, which I highly recommend- The Interpretation Of Murder and The Death Instinct, which are both set in the US 1920s/30s period, and allude to Freud as you'd guess. V deep plots. Highly rec.
  • So, murder mysteries?  With the titles and the mention of Freud, I'm not sure they are psychological texts, except for the use of the word "plot".  Also, not sure why we would guess Freud?

The more I learn about Freud, the more fascinating he becomes.  He seems a man very far ahead of his time.

Post edited by Whickwithy at 2015-07-17 06:38:16
  • Freud wrote The Interpretation Of Dreams, and The Death Instinct was one of his psycho theories. Yes, they are both murder / crime fiction, but romances and historic as well.
    Personally I think Freud was a bit too f a berk lol.
  • KatRobin said:

Freud wrote The Interpretation Of Dreams, and The Death Instinct was one of his psycho theories. Yes, they are both murder / crime fiction, but romances and historic as well.
    Personally I think Freud was a bit too f a berk lol.

Sorry, I didn't follow your encryption or, maybe I did and I just don't know the phrase.  I didn't know he wrote fiction.  How interesting.
  • I like a bit of escapism, so I read all the Lee Child books based on the character Jack Reacher, who is, most Definatley not the short arse Tom Thumb that is Tom Cruise!
    I also read Jeffrey Deaver and have a liking for his characters Lincolm Rhyme and also Kathryn Dance.
    I also read a lot of science fiction, classic fiction ( War of the Worlds by H G Wells is both of these and is just fantastic ) and also a lot of non fiction.
    Always proper books, not Kindles or the like.
    I am a Luddite !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Just finished Joyce Carol Oates's Zombie. She missed the mark on a couple points, but otherwise it was a hoot.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • WW- Freud didn't write fiction, the books I've mentioned are works of fiction in which Freud himself appears and there are some historical facts in the novels. That's cleared that up!
  • I love Freud, too. Turns out a lot of what he wrote *is* fiction.

In fact, some of the most thrilling books I have read include serious, non-fiction about Freud and his work. One that anyone would enjoy is Jeffery Masson's "Final Analysis:the making and unmaking of a psychoanalyst" . Masson became the confidant of Anna Freud,  and the custodian of the Freud archive. This is the story of his training to be a psychoanalyst and his utter disillusionment with the whole business. It's full of ghastly, yet compelling, anecdotes. Masson is now a big advocate for animal rights. 

Janet Malcolm's "Psychoanalysis: the impossible profession
    " is a short book looking back at the whole "Masson affair", from a less partisan point of view. Everything she writes is good!

• Whew!  Thanks for clearing that up for me, Kat!  Yeah, psychoanalysis.  It seems likely that most pscychoanalysts need to be psychoanalyzed.  Was I reading somewhere that phsychoanalysys is not used so much in Europe and the U.K. as it is in the U.S.?  (I'm asking for some insight here).

I do like some of Freud's insights, though.  I think he only missed being more accurately insightful because of the times he lived in.
  • You are right, WW. Classical psychoanalysis is a small part of psychotherapy practice in the UK, although many psychotherapists would cite Freudian or Jungian praxis as part of their approach. The classical Freudian model involves such a huge investment of time and £££ that London is pretty much the only place in the UK that has a large enough potential client base to sustain a practice.

Freud was undoubtedly a genius, in my opinion, but often wrong. If you are really interested in a brilliant, expert, and fair, assessment, I'd recommend Richard Webster's "Why Freud Was Wrong". 
  • ^ Here's some examples of Freudian Slips-

-While Freud's theories were revolutionary for their time, the majority of them are completely untesticle.

-How many Freudians does it take to screw in a penis?

-I beg your hardon? A Freudian slit you say?

(For those of you who don't know, a Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother. Or it's when you say one thing but fuck your mother. At least it's not buttfuck your mother)
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-07-18 10:28:26
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • whisperit said:

London is pretty much the only place

I was just tying this with something I mentioned the other day, that the suicide rate is exceptionally low in England.  It's like half of the U.S. and a quarter of a lot of other places.  Kinda makes one wonder.

Ummm, my interest in Freud is more in passing.  He was on to something, just a bit limited by the times paradigms.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2015-07-18 12:43:58
  • Like it PG. where do you stand on Penis Envy?! :-q
  • Well I'm sure during the Victorian age women were so repressed and suppressed, no wonder they wanted to be men. Freud was just so cranked up on cocaine and obsessed with his own dick...he couldn't focus on the clit. Another example of how the Patriarchy tried to explain what a woman feels.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-07-19 08:10:16
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!