Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 143 Comments sorted by
  • HB, literature is pretty much pretentious by nature.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I have read every Jack Reacher book that Lee Child has written. A modern day Robin Hood style character who defends the weak and the vulnerable and dispatches the bad guys to the hell they deserve. Well written in a pulp fiction style by Childs who is a Brit by birth but now live in the USA. The books are generally set over short periods of a few days.
    An enjoyable read with a straight forward character who is very likeable.
    Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher! Tom Cruise is about as big as one of Jack Reacher's testicles !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I've been reading Hocus Pocus lately. I've not read Vonnegut since high school; so, I recently collected a handful of his novels to reread or read for the first time.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I dont read fiction. Partly due to lack of time but a lot to do with not being able to remember anything ive just read. I just got Zen n the art of motorcycle maintenance. I was nagged to read it a while ago and remembered recently. It better not be hippy shit.
  • tweety said:

sorry its not a book, but it ought to be

Hi Tweety. This looks like an excellent candidate for the Great name for a Band thread. You even have the first album cover! A sort of Jamiroquai clone. jazz-funk?
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-04-13 19:14:00
  • Ponygurl- I read The Bloody Chamber on my degree course many moons ago, The Passion is also good by AC. I think The Company of Wolves with Angela Lansbury remains one of my top 3 films of all time, I just wanted to be in the set and lost in those woods ( tho it'd be better if the wolves were fluffy spaniels I guess) x happy reading.
  • At the moment I'm reading The Top 100 Cover-Ups , I do like a good conspiracy theory! I'm assuming that Michael Gove will be mentioned in the sequel. Through learning about stuff in this book and Googling / YouTubing conspiracy documentaries I've watched some fascinating and utterly terrifying stuff, a doc about the Jonestown Cult for instance...so sad. Cath thinks I need to stop cos I'm getting too heavy (man) . Anyone here think that Justin Bieber is a member of the Illuminati? Hmm?!
  • KatRobin said:

Ponygurl- I read The Bloody Chamber on my degree course many moons ago, The Passion is also good by AC. I think The Company of Wolves with Angela Lansbury remains one of my top 3 films of all time, I just wanted to be in the set and lost in those woods ( tho it'd be better if the wolves were fluffy spaniels I guess) x happy reading.

I get really ADD with books..and maybe even life in general at times.. :P What I read of her was actually pretty good, if somewhat overly flowery with description at times. Such good creepy stories though, will check out "Passion" ;) I believe it might be called "Passion of New Eve" (?) ...at least that's what I got when googling. That looks even more disturbing than the other!
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I've just finished reading "The unexpected pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachel Joyce.  It was a bit weird... one of those easy to read feel good books really.  Although I did cry at the end... but then I'm a crier! If you want something that's going to make you feel like you should probably do something with your life, or at least learn to appreciate it, then it's worth the couple of evenings it took to read.  

Before that I read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman... I've read a lot of Gaiman's stuff but never got around to this one.  I actually think it's up there with my favourites! I have a tendency to like slightly 'mystical' books set in London (I love the Peter Grant novels by Ben Aaronovitch) so I don't really know how I'd not read it before now! 

Just about to start The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.  Friends have said it's good although I've got no idea what it's about! After that I think I'm going to start the Benedict Jacka books (starting with Fated)... so if anyone has any other recommendations for me then please throw them my way! 
  • Finished the husband's secret.  It was ok.  It was all just a bit obvious, which, as someone who spends their whole life trying to guess what's going to happen next in everything, it was a bit of a let down.  But I know lots of people who loved it and couldn't put the book down, so each to their own! 

Just about to start Fated now... after which I have nothing to read, so I'm going to take it slowly! 
  • I am eagerly waiting for the final book in the All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness, "The Book of Life".
    I will need to re read the other two books, to remind myself of the characters and plot details.
  • So, #thathurt, what happened to the Zen book?  I've always been curious about that book but, unlike you, I read almost exclusively fiction - speculative fiction to be exact - so, have always hesitated.  I'm afraid I am also opposite in that I kinda hope it's hippy shit.
  • "Requiem for a Conquerer" by W. Michael Gear.  SciFi, kinda old.
  • ^Are you digging up old threads WW?
  • Place was getting boring, once again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!