Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 1299 Comments sorted by
  • What kind of creative shit you have in mind Cookie? We are all creative in our own way are we not?
    Unless, of course, we are international play boys?? (Or girls. Equal Ops for all)
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

• im envious of you guys who get to do creative shit in your jobs...

Thought you were an artist, Cookiee.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

im envious of you guys who get to do creative shit in your jobs...

Thought you were an artist, Cookiee.

lols. i haven't made any art in a long time. like a really long time. when i meant creative jobs, i meant jobs that make money, my art made no money. it wasn't meant to i guess. i mean folk who are illustrators or designers or architects etc etc. people that earn a living for their work.
  • I know how it is, cookie_munster.  I am always strongly suggesting to young folks that they really need to think about the fact that, if they are creative, they may really regret choosing a job that is not.  I don't think they ever listen.  And, in my case, I chose a lot of very, very braindead jobs and made them creative, whether my bosses liked it or not.  Really pissed a lot of bosses off.

Funny, I actually came here to mention something else.  I really miss those old tickers on GMB, like  how many views per post, and how many comments.  Really hated the "how many posts" and really glad that HJ got rid of that.  But, anyways, I hadn't seen those notations on each of the posts for a very long time and thought they were gone.  And, lo and behold but, if you choose the right address, they show up, once again!  At least, in my case, it's a matter of using bookmarks (or favorites) all the time.

http://www.goldfrapp.com/forum/
  • Yeah, Religion is the problem.

Charleston church shooting

It really is risable that guys that are dumber than a bag of hammers call themselves "supremacists".  Typical.

Basically, haters hate, no matter the reason.

Post edited by Whickwithy at 2015-06-22 16:09:05
  • To get back to Cookiees question about creative shit, Mrs T is the artistically creative one in the family although, like you Cookiee, making money out of it is a real challenge. Let me know if you are interested and I will post a link to her site.
    I do also create. Part of my work involves designing Hospital buildings and wards for a mental health NHS Trust. That is the best bit. As I have got older though, and moved up the managerial ladder, I have to spend more of my time managing people and projects and less actually doing the design bit which I really love. I was an early adopter of AutoCad in 1987 which is before we had Windows. In fact, not long after we had our first desk top PC's ! It was all parallel motion and drawing boards before that !
    A common complaint I would guess.
  • Well, I finally tried something that I've been meaning to try for a long time now.  And, as it's about two hours after my normal bedtime, and I walked six miles today and spent about six hours mowing with a no-engine mower, it seems it didn't work.

I read somewhere that, if you only steep your tea for 30 seconds, you don't get the caffeine.  Ha!  I won't try that, again.
  • I'm a tea drinker and really don't think there's much caffeine in tea.

Coffee is another matter.  Some years ago, I did a short course at Happy Computers (near Aldgate East station, I add for the sake of verisimilitude).  Tea came in the form of tea bags and sub-boiling water.  It made such a rotten brew that I only had one cup of the muck before trying the coffee.  The coffee, by contrast, was real coffee, and very good.  After the second night of the course, I couldn't sleep.  It took me a while to figure that this was because I'd been drinking coffee for a couple of days.

I seldom have trouble sleeping, even last night, which was uncomfortably hot.  (All the worse because my bedroom window was painted shut years ago.)  For what it's worth, I generally close my day with three things.  I never omit the first, and only omit the second if I'm very tired.

1. Evening devotions.  I have an altar above my bed.  The altar forms a focus, but a single image would do.  (A photograph of the altar appears at the head of every page of my website http://petjeffery.co.uk/.)  This little ritual is mostly given over to thanking the goddess for the good things that day has brought.  A counting of my blessings which, I think, helps.

2. After inserting myself in the bedclothes (just under a cotton sheet in this weather), I read for a little bit.  My current reading is Three Men in a Boat.  My previous one was a Dorothy Sayers murder mystery.

3. After switching off the light and settling properly.  I enter what I call a waking dream.  This involves visualising myself undertaking an activity.  Flying an aeroplane or steering a boat seem good ones.  I don't actually know how to fly an aeroplane, but that doesn't matter because I can imagine (presumably wrongly) how it might be.  I seldom, these days, get beyond a minute or two of waking dream before slipping into sleep.  Last night, for example, I imagined my aeroplane (a biplane, but quite a sleek machine as biplanes go) and settling myself at the controls... and that was it.  I hadn't even tested the control surfaces before falling asleep.

I think that falling asleep has more to do with disengaging one's brain from its daily concerns than with the tiredness associated with physical activity.  If one's job was as a pilot, flying an aeroplane would surely be an ineffective, even counterproductive, waking dream.

I hope you can take something potentially useful from that Mr Whickwithy.

• Oh, I seldom have difficulty sleeping.  But, yes, I guarantee you tea has a reasonable amount of caffeine.  At least, the way I make it.  There is one noted difference between tea and coffee, though, that supposedly has an effect.  Tea has tannic acid which is said to counter some of the effects of caffeine.

But, really, I don't experiment haphazardly.  Tea does have caffeine and it does affect my sleep.  Any caffeine if I drink it late in the day affects my sleep.  I used to drink gallons of coffee a day (on the order of 12 cups?) and never had any difficulty sleeping.  So, the body can build tolerance to it.  But, that doesn't necessarily mean it's okay to overindulge.  I did finally notice the effect the caffeine had on my body.  It was bad.  Too much caffeine of any kind has its physical effects and they are not good.  Basically, a tenseness in the muscles, call it a form of stress.  And, I
    am convinced the number one killer in the world?  Stress.  As with everything, it seems moderation (I truly hate the concept) is best.  Caffeine, in small doses, no doubt, has tremendously good effects.  Everything I do is a little sharper.  I've actually wondered sometimes if the overindulgence in caffeine was part of what caused some of my chemical imbalance that I experience.

I agree with you on the idea of disengaging the brain, to a great extent.  But, as I age, I find that disengaging the pain, sometimes, is just as big an effort.  But, maybe that's just me.

By the way, your waking dreams seem a sort of meditation.  I do practice that both in the evening and the morning.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2015-07-01 07:55:22
  • ...i meant jobs that make money, my art made no money. it wasn't meant to i guess. i mean folk who are illustrators or designers or architects etc etc. people that earn a living for their work.

The only GMBer (current or ex-) I can think of that (I believe) makes a living from art... is the guy who used to be on the old board as 'Jaxsbudgie'. Here's his twitter profile: https://twitter.com/jackmrhughes
    Oh, I see you're already following him, cookiee.

Layla (https://twitter.com/LaylaHolzer) is a very talented illustrator, puppeteer etc but I don't think she is making money from that (yet). Recently did a Master's. Oh, and Jess (Laura's ex) is another illustrator... although I'm not sure if she makes money from it at the mo (https://twitter.com/McSchmesh)
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2015-07-01 10:11:17
  • ^
    You know, this is the thing with the 'Arts'. I think most creative people are sooo interested in their ideas and process that the business end escapes/eludes them. I mean, Dalí would have been just another painter without Gala. Gala marketed him and would actually guilt patrons into buying his art. She would tell wealthy patrons they had no food, etc. and get them to buy his paintings for huge amounts. Once he was collected, this established 'Fame.' Soon Dalí himself wouldn't even pay for food or services- he simply would sketch a little drawing on the back of a check and the proprietors wouldn't cash it- because that 'little drawing' was attached to his name- FAME...the great ILLUSION.

My family is friends with a well established artist- but he has great marketers and persuasive salespeople in his galleries. I mean, he's talented- but without ads in luxury living magazines and the 'word of mouth' from wealthy patrons..who knows? ...and unfortunately/fortunately fame gives way to fame..i.e.- "Oh, you say 'insert famous name here' owns several of his paintings? Well they must be worth owning"...and so really- is the value of the piece based on sheer beauty/vision and quality or relational status? Social status? That's just a part of it.

I also know a woman who has a contract with a hotel doing architectural sculpture for them- I guess part of it is just finding the right market and putting yourself out there. To make money at it I guess you just have to sell yourself or have someone talented do it for you- it seems it simply isn't enough to just be the creative end. I don't know, just rambling now-
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-07-01 14:11:26
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Ponygurl said:

it seems it simply isn't enough to just be the creative end. I don't know, just rambling now-

That is so very accurate.  And, that really goes for anything that is sold.  I used to say that if you had gold and no one knows it, you can't sell it.  If you dazzle, you can sell shit.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone has literally sold shit.  Hmmm, there is a particular tea that comes from some bird's shit.  And, it sells at exorbitant prices.  Close enough, I guess.  But, it would be fun to pursue just to prove the point.
  • What can I say ?
    I mourn the passing of art that had true technique in its construction, be that with oil or watercolour or whatever other applied medium you care to mention, or with clay, or bronze or stone. The recent vogue of imagineering art; it is art because I put it forward as art, leaves me cold. Hirst with his dissected Sharks and artwork made of dead flies, Emin with her tent and 'unmade bed' just leave me cold. I understand the need for art to challenge popular perspective but when Picasso and Braque did this, at least they continued to exhibit mastery of their technique and it was their perception that they used to challenge. I get the feeling a whole slew of modern artists are lazy and just sit back and dream up things to put forward as art because it's easier than mastering a medium. Dechamp started this but at least he was original ! Shit in a tin. TV sets at the bottom of drums of water, a pile of boiled sweets where you, the viewer, are encouraged to take one so as to 'modify the artwork and become part of it'. Please ! Charlatans. Emporers New Clothes !
    I visited a gallery in Amsterdam once where a room had been cleared and sitting right in the middle was a large plastic dustbin with all the crap and sweepings in it and bits of wood sticking out ready to be taken away and quite a number of people asked the attendants if it was an artwork. Well, why not? It was a credible as a lot of the other crap that is being passed off as art.
    Just saying mind.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-07-01 18:40:36
  • Take a look at the New York Times Best Sellers list. At least visual/performance/installation art is attempting something.
    If I were dead, could I do this?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!