Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • Reminds me a bit of home. Mrs T's latest project she is musing involves 100 mole skulls, which even I think is excessive ! I do know a mole catcher though.......

She isn't making making mountains out of moleskulls again, is she?
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • LOL!
    Neither is she making mashed potato replicas of the Devils Tower.
    She is a little bit touched. Even I think 100 mole skulls is excessive ! Painting them is one thing but actually attaching them to a canvas? Macabre! Who does she think she is, Damien Hirst? She will be cutting a shark in half next.
    It seems the 'Fairy Tales Stripped Bare' series has not yet topped out!

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-06-26 18:06:29
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Finally made it to the cinema to see Mad Max Fury Road and it was even better than I hoped it would be. I am completely obsessed with this film right now. It was completely bonkers, crazy, over the top, brilliant and perfect!
  • One for Ponygurl, perhaps.  I recently watched Nancy Drew, Detective (1938).

All four of the Nancy Drew films of that era are included on this double DVD:

Bonita Granville made a sparky Nancy Drew, and had a great roadster.

So far, I've only watched the first of the four films.  It's a lot of fun and, at 66 minutes, doesn't consume an entire evening of your life.  Recommended.
    Post edited by Pet at 2015-06-30 08:35:11
  • Welcome back Pet. Long time, no here (sic) !
  • Yay! Welcome back Pet- it actually looks charming-
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Thank you for your welcomes back.

Funnily enough, Ponygurl, that trailer is for the second film ("Nancy Drew, Reporter") which I watched tonight.  I think you'd enjoy both of the films I've so far watched.

Also watched this evening was "She" (1935), which I'd never seen before.  It's often panned, but is a great film.

• Pet said:

Thank you for your welcomes back.

Funnily enough, Ponygurl, that trailer is for the second film ("Nancy Drew, Reporter") which I watched tonight.  I think you'd enjoy both of the films I've so far watched.

Also watched this evening was "She" (1935), which I'd never seen before.  It's often panned, but is a great film.

I read the book many years ago. An intriguing novel if I remember.
  • ^ You read the book years ago?  Rider Haggard's "She"?  Or one of the Nancy Drew books?
  • H Rider Haggard's 'She' Pet. She, who must be obeyed. I have never seen the 1935 film, but I have seen the one with Ursula Andress in the titular role. It also had Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in it as well.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-07-02 09:09:13
  • Has anyone seen The Danish Girl (starring Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander).

Any thoughts? I am considering going as my annual Xmas treat.
  • I'm definitely going to- it looks great :)
    U R I E L
  • Just got in from seeing The Danish Girl

Hmmm....I think I should have stuck to the panto.

Eddie Redmayne played it pretty convincingly, but frankly, I was irritated to death by that character - a bit of a drawback, considering.
  • ^ I watched this last night whisperit. My God, very emotional..how can you not weep? Well, the story was different from what I expected. I almost feel like Gerda was gay and was simply feminizing her husband. What starts as erotic play turns psychologically serious. I think an alter ego develops in Einar, because of the shame associated in society. Still the same today..expression of Anima/Animus is still somewhat oppressed/judged. Ultimately, i believe it's fear of homosexual sex. Since society has taught for centuries it is wrong, fear inhibits natural sexual character and fluidity. Einar does become homosexual and Gerda had possibly instigated it. Then there is the bigger question though- was Einar physically transitioning into Lilli and becoming completely female to avoid the stigma of society's view on homosexuality back then? Who knows.

Well, I guess my review was one huge spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it. Oh, well :). As for your irritation at Eddie Redmayne..do you think he overplayed the "self-conscious" bit?
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-01-09 14:17:13
    U R I E L
  • ^Exactly, PG. I think the heavy use of "Princess Di" type glances from half closed lids mannerism was perfectly justifiable - in interviews, Eddie Redmayne says that he spoke to a number of trans women who said they went through an early "hyper femininine" stage before settling into a more authentic self presentation, and that fitted with the character. But it made her really, really irritating to me! As I have said before, I like strong women! 

As for your thoughts on the whole business of trans/homosexuality etc, I had a long discussion of this with my daughter, esp about whether transgender is a biological or a cultural or sexual or identity category or if all we can say is that it varies from person to person. Like you say, the trouble is that we are stuck inside a society which is so profoundly hetero-normalising that its impossible to strip out the effects of internalised heteronormativity to see who we "really" are. Maybe the best we can do is to be kind and compassionate to each other and angry at the system that forces people to go through the pain that they do.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!