Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 1299 Comments sorted by
  • It seems the UK political process is working just about as well as the U.S.
    version.  I hate to endorse a conspiracy theory but it seems to me that
    the conservative parties have found a way to rig the system.  In the
    U.S., at least, it is fairly straightforward.  Bombard the public with
    outright lies that can be believed (do it often enough, it seems, and
    the public actually starts agreeing (there is little doubt they will be
    listening/watching) - kinda like religion used to be.  Talk radio, in the U.S., is apalling.  Otherwise intelligent people in the U.S., nod their heads as if it makes sense.  Which is another
    interesting point.  Religion has gone out of fashion with those that
    wish to manipulate and mislead the public.  Who needs religion anymore,
    not opportunists, when they have TV and Radio to distort reality!

No, there's something much more deeply wrong with humanity that religion, etc.  They are just the fall guys.  We need to go much deeper than that before we find the source of our problems.

I think you're basically right. It's not the only factor (step forward a parody of an electoral system and a shockingly bad principal opposition which could have easily brought the coalition down 3 years ago).   There was an interesting piece in yesterday's Grauniad written by a guy who'd been Barack Obama's media advisor and had been brought over to advise Miliband.  He considered the GB media to be shockingly partisan, compared to the USA. 

Certainly this seems to me to be the case in large part, including TV (frequent programmes demonising immigrants and the welfare-state, for example) and above all the print media (and their online counterparts). In my view particularly nasty are the free newspapers which are quite literally flung in one's face if one is a commuter - Metro (same people as the Daily Mail) and in London the virulently rightwing Evening Standard. Very difficult to see how their can be informed and balanced political debate in such an environment, in my view. 
    Post edited by 37201xoIM at 2015-05-08 11:26:28
  • Kinda wierd as I just can't imagine anything worse than the U.S. media.  I mean, Fox News?  Unbelievable.  The the talk radio, the same.  The interesting thing is that they really attempt to make it all sound so sensible and people listen!  It's amazing to me that so many Americans really believe that there is not climate change and that humanity isn't having an affect.

Since I'm not really familiar with U.K. press, I guess I can't say.  But, maybe, they don't do as good a job of prettying up the insanity they spread?
  • I don't really know either - I don't know Fox & their ilk well enough (largely by repute), but you may be right. As far as climate change is concerned, denial or no denial, it doesn't seem to have any substantial impact on Brits' behaviour, I feel...

(Sorry, feeling rather negative today...)
  • 37201xoIM said:

denial or no denial, it doesn't seem to have any substantial impact on Brits' behaviour, I feel...

Ha!  That seems true in the U.S., as well.  As usual, people want somebody else (e.g. the government) to do something about it...and, then, they elect conservatives.  Go figure.
  • 37201xoIM said:

denial or no denial, it doesn't seem to have any substantial impact on Brits' behaviour, I feel...

Ha!  That seems true in the U.S., as well.  As usual, people want somebody else (e.g. the government) to do something about it...and, then, they elect conservatives.  Go figure.

Speaking of the "government"...parts of it just seem to be a criminal entity looking for profit. I don't remember voting on having my food genetically changed and inundated with pesticides. When I travel to Europe or the UK, I don't see much of that. I think the EU has banned alot of that. But then again, we have to go back to WWII and realize that former Nazis started many of these entities.

Just an example, I went to buy a friend a ginger ale for her sick stomach. I went to a local grocery store and couldn't find any brand with actual Ginger in it! It shouldn't even be allowed to be called ginger ale!

-ingredient list-
    carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, NATURAL FLAVORS, sodium benzoate, caramal color.

Basically a carcinogenic beverage with a GMO sweetener. These companies will burn in Hell for this.

*citric acid and sodium benzoate together cause cancer, never-mind the petroleum derived "caramel color"
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2015-05-09 13:33:05
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • And they know it, which is why some soft drinks add disodium EDTA.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Now, tell me this doesn't sound like some advanced civilization's engineering project.  Freaky!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedorminey/2015/06/12/strange-extragalactic-cloud-is-a-star-forming-monster/
  • With the news we get everyday about someone else's Son/Daughter that has been indoctrinated or brain washed into some suicide bombing or other display of mindless brutality on innocents, I continue to wonder why people follow religion at all. An enlightened and prophetic man once said:

‘The real villain is religion – at least, religion as generally practised by people who somehow become sure that they, and only they, know the “real” answer. How few humans there are that seem to realise that killing, much less hating, their fellow humans in the name of their “God” is the ultimate kind of perversion’.

His name? Gene Roddenberry. Now you know why Kirk was so hard on any form of deity worship in Star Trek !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Excellent quote. But there are quite a few humans that realise...etc. thank God.
  • Kinishi nai de.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2015-06-17 14:20:41
  • This is actually a Goldfrapp inquiry- does anybody remember back when Black Cherry came out and there was a t-shirt with a black&white drawing of Alison picking cocks, from a cock-garden? I mean, there's really no other way to describe it- sorry. There's got to be an old-timer on here who has one/ seen it. Come on peeps, Ping...Softlad, anyone? Annnyyyyooonnneeee???
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I know what you mean, but sadly, not in my wardrobe. Good hunting!
  • I beg your pardon
    I never promised you a cock garden.
    Hmm. Not quite the same ring about it. Definitely not Radio 2 !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • anyone here do some seriously creative shit in their job?

im envious of you guys who get to do creative shit in your jobs...
  • Ponygurl said:

This is actually a Goldfrapp inquiry- does anybody remember back when Black Cherry came out and there was a t-shirt with a black&white drawing of Alison picking cocks, from a cock-garden? I mean, there's really no other way to describe it- sorry. There's got to be an old-timer on here who has one/ seen it. Come on peeps, Ping...Softlad, anyone? Annnyyyyooonnneeee???

i have that image on a tote somewhere...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!