Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
New Forum members (and veteran GMBers)
  • 55 Comments sorted by
  • Ah yes, Trembler... And the other one... No recollection of them. And it categorically was not me :)
  • Guessed as much, in fact mirror told Satori as much.  Who's Trembler?
    It must have been manic on here back in the day.  I have been seduced by the Twat side of late but see FB as the pit of eternal doom and the home of those needing a lot of self validation.  Probably the home of a high percentage of people that own Selfie Sticks !
    Sorry !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Trembling Star, I meant L-)
  • ^ Oh, I wondered if you'd seen *that* thread, UT. That is, the 'mirror' one. Were you a member whilst all that was going on?

I know Whickwithy and A_is_A (amongst others) wouldn't appreciate the thread being resurrected (and it *is* painful reading, not least as it's 34 pages long!) so I won't post a link. It can be google-found*.

* The search facility on here is pretty useless.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2015-03-16 10:48:36
  • No, I was not here at that time HJ.  It does make fascinating reading though; a Hitchcockian roller coaster ride of psychological bluff, counter bluff and power play!
    Interestingly, the search engine on here is what led me to it. Adrian said he was previously on here as Gulliver Dark, I did a search just on Gulliver ( as dark would give up too many hits ( it does - trust me) and this led to the ' ' posts and particularly where Satori comes to the conclusion that he knows the identity of ' ' and ' ' says ' ' is not Gulliver Dark' 
    I was hooked! It was a masterclass of attempted interogation and show n tell all rolled up into one.  I think it was this thread where water boarding was first conceived! 35 pages of intrigue to rival any Francis or Christie novel.
    Happy times ! 
    :)
  • Guessed as much, in fact mirror told Satori as much.  Who's Trembler?

It must have been manic on here back in the day.  I have been seduced by the Twat side of late but see FB as the pit of eternal doom and the home of those needing a lot of self validation.  Probably the home of a high percentage of people that own Selfie Sticks !
    Sorry !

Yes I suppose you could say it was manic! For me the whole 'gulliver dark' thing was a learning curve and an episode never to be repeated... I completely gave up forums and limited my social media activity to facebook. Although it drives me crazy a lot of the time, one does have the means to moderate and block any sh*t that arises. Twitter, well I refuse to be involved with it so sadly shan't see any of Alison's tweets :)
  • That thread was just a total waste of time.  Someone looking for their 15 minutes of fame.  And, some gave it to her.
  • Yeah, if I recall correctly, you could ignore people on the old GMB and I absolutely love it on G+.  Flush enough of the garbage and you can actually winnow through to a few intelligent posts.
  • The old GMB... Conditions for 'general chat' were "what you do here is up to you" so it was a free-for-all and the lunatics took over the asylum :) When I encountered the difficulties getting into this board I though "wow, things have changed". Gotta be for the better :>
  • The new forum does a very good job of keeping out spam-bots and real-peoploids whose intention is to antagonise.

What happened in the aforementioned thread is that a couple of veteran-members radically changed their appreciation of and attitude towards Goldfrapp, and came back to "shake things up"... with one if them adopting a new persona/disguise. It might seem a bit odd to allow that sort of thing on an artist's own forum/site, but I still think we were right in not deleting them or the thread. They went away after a while.
  • I agree with not deleting it.  I just can't imagine why anyone ever participated in the threads.  It was just feeding the demon.
  • I am surprised it was a she. Not that I read it all ( I have a life) but that kind of confrontationalism ( have I just invented a word?) I would more normally associate with a male.
    There is a point here that is worthy of a bit of time, if people will indulge me. A lot I read seemed to be based on the disapointment ' ' struggled to hide in the way the GF canon was proceeding. Anyone who has ever indulged in a creative output will know you have good days at the office and bad days at the office and, in GF's case, not every single track can be a Grammy winner or an Ivor Novello. It's a bit like digging for diamonds; you find enough to keep digging and, every now an again, you find a Koh-i-Nor. Then, if you are really good, you find a vein and you are pulling out Cullinans every other day. I read one comment from ' ' that said something like 'why should you have to accept lower quality material that is not as good as the previous stuff?' Well numpty, that is the facts of life, it's not all milk and honey and of all the many, many artists I have followed in my life, not one of them has anywhere near a 100% success rate with me liking everything they have done and nor would I expect it. If you do have an artist, any artist where you think they have achieved a 100% success rate, you are probably not being critical enough.
    The reason why I have dabbled in a studio for many years is I am trying to find something I cannot get from any other source. Sure, many songs are fabulous and influence the way my labours go, but if I had one band or singer that fulfilled my every need with all of their stuff, I could pack up tomorrow.
    You will not be surprised that the hunt for the lost chord continues but, until then, Goldfrapp are helping illuminate the void.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-03-17 15:42:08
  • Hey, U_T! You really want to start that up again, dontcha?
    ;)
  • Not at all Wt. I like to think I am not as easily manipulated. However, it is an interesting area of discussion. To state my view, I think Alision has the voice of a generation and I marvel at what it can do, both in the past, when she was younger and now. I think Will is a magician in both his writing, but also his studiocraft in his production. He is also a really nice bloke if you are lucky enough to bump into him, genuinely happy to talk to you and have an exchange of views.
    Do I think they are Gods? No. Do I hang on everything they have ever written and think it is a work of genius? No. Are there tracks I skip over when they come up? Yes. Do I wish they would do another fantastic album like they did before? Yes, but the truth is, I have no idea what that would be. Are they entitled to do what they want and if I don't like then tough? Of course. Would I start an intimidation campaign to show my displeasure that they were not making records like I wanted, moaning that they were not as good as they were and past their best? Of course not! If you feel like that, you have feet; vote with them and go and bother some other artist?
    As I said further up, all the artists I have ever liked have some songs that I think are not as good as the fantastic stuff they do, but that is just the downside of comparison with the music that is a work of genius.
    If that view is too 'left column' for some, fine. We all have our opinion and are entitled to it. A & W are still delivering the goods and that is good enough for me.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2015-03-18 15:25:09

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!