Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 1299 Comments sorted by
  • @Ponygurl @Sartori Let's not get caught in the bramble of misunderstanding.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2015-01-21 08:32:37
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

@Ponygurl @Sartori Let's not get caught in the bramble of misunderstanding.

If people on the forum might think I like "50 Shades of Grey" , it`s either I put everyone straight or napalm the fucking lot of you ;)
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I'm simply pretending that neither the book nor the movie exist. Come February 14, I'll be avoiding the television, walking away from numerous conversations, and wearing noise-canceling headphones in public.
  • iuventus said:

I'm simply pretending that neither the book nor the movie exist. Come February 14, I'll be avoiding the television, walking away from numerous conversations, and wearing noise-canceling headphones in public.

I was forced to sit through the trailer for it at the cinema today , I held back a shout of "Its a bag of shit" (which apparently in scene 4) .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2015-01-21 11:24:51
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I suppose I'll add showing up to movies after the trailers to my list. Thanks for the reminder.
  • If we are looking to hide this, then turn the room into a pantry and paint the lump so it looks like a loaf of bread.

Sorry folks not really been on here since it all went pear shaped around Christmas. Looking at the stuff already posted I'm not sure I can add much - the air brick scenario seems the most logical. As for the damp I'd guess you haven't got a dpc - look for a slate course externally or old bitumen. This can be rectified easily enough although will cost a few shillings. A couple of suggestions 1. Injection dpc - you can hire the kit and DIY - UT & I had a go a few years back 2. Waterproof render plinth on the outside but it needs to extend well below ground level, replace plaster on the inside with similar up to 1m. As for the stump - I'm with Sartori, you could chip away with lump hammer and chisel to see what you find. More pics would be useful - time lapse of you breaking it out would be fun!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Sounds like the external ground level is too high allowing dampness outside to penetrate the wall which, I would guess, is a solid wall not a cavity. That would be the cause of your efflorescence.
    Do you, by any chance, go down a step into the 'office'? I wonder if the room once had a raised timber floor that has been removed in the past, resulting in this stump to cover the air brick.
    I still think the most likely reason for the 'stump' is to turn the air flow from the air brick down to a lower level, hence the question about the cellar.
    Can you see through the air brick from outside? Use a torch to see if you can see anything. I doubt there is a water or gas main as Satori has suggested as these would be obvious externally. Do you even have gas? Where do these (gas/water) come into the house? If somewhere else, then they won't be here as well.
    Ideally, your external ground level will be 150mm below the internal floor level to prevent the ingress of damp. People mistakenly raise external levels all the time and cause damp issues inside, so worth looking at.
    Have you got access to some net curtain wire? If so, get 3 or 4 foot and fish it through the air brick and see if it keeps going in, which would suggest it is passing down to a lower level.
    Still,waiting for @Appy61 to comment. Where are you in the country BTW?

Hey. I haven't forgotten about this btw. just needed time to examine it properly via your questions. strange thing. the lounge before you go in is floorboards then you go into the office/understairs and thats concrete, totally level with the lounge. 

the house doesn't have gas. not to my knowledge anyway. nor central heating. all run on electric storage heaters. 

i'll see if i can get hold of some curtain wire and have a look at the airbrick. thanks so much btw! :)
  • the lounge before you go in is floorboards then you go into the office/understairs and thats concrete, totally level with the lounge

Did the previous owner watch a lot of Brookside ? ;)
    Post edited by Sartori at 2015-01-26 08:34:35
  • Sartori said:

the lounge before you go in is floorboards then you go into the office/understairs and thats concrete, totally level with the lounge

Did the previous owner watch a lot of Brookside ? ;)

oh, god don't. lol. i have a thing with really old houses and "brutal history" lol
  • I hope it's the entrance to a disused torture chamber, or one of the seven doors of death.
  • Haha, you're terrible iuv. The whole thought of torture though..Man's brain seriously needs to be re-wired.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Blob forbid I should want Cookiee to have some excitement and adventure in his life! A little spookiness could never hurt either.
  • Discussed this with @Appy61 over the weekend. We are of the opinion that the crown ( the curved top bit) it a mortar cap to rendered brickwork below. I still think it is most likely to be some form of vent, hence the air brick outside. Have a really good, close look around it and if this looks like the case, get a bolster (wide blunt bricklayers chisel) and a hammer and gently nibble away at the top on the edge/corner to expose what is underneath.
    Interesting that you say other parts of the house are suspended timber, as these will need ventilating, so you will have other air bricks around the perimeter of the house. It could be that this solid part of floor was timber and was replaced with concrete because it had gone rotten. Strange that the air brick is not far above the external ground level the other side of this stump. If it was timber at one time, it would need ventilating otherwise it would rot eventually, which further suggests this is/was channeling air from the air brick to below the floor. By any chance, is the floor level the other side of this area lower? If so, an air brick there would be able to cross ventilate the floor using the 'stump' to ventilate the air out the other side.
    This is getting a bit heavy. More pictures would help showing the outside.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Its a Barbie sarcophagus .
  • It's not pink.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!