Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • Palo Alto. Good with a deep and interesting story but not a very interesting storytelling.
  • Exodus: Blah & Blah. Worst dialogue ever in a big-ass motion picture. Christian Bale? Sigourney Weaver? Needless to say, it was very white. 20th-Century Hollywood would've been proud. I actually went as a favor to a friend who wanted to see a movie but was too scared to see the Hobbit or the other film playing.

The Babadook. Liked it. Great art direction. Could've been a super low-budget horror flick, but it seemed like two or three screenplays stitched together, and rather haphazardly. Maybe Tim Burton could re-work it. Good thing I went during Late-Night Matinee.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • silverjet said:

Finished watching Midnight Cowboy just now. Hated it. Barry did a great job though.

I saw that in a cinema when it first came out.  (Late 60s, 70s?  I dunno.)  If anyone wanted me to sit through it again, they'd have to pay me.  I mean a useful sum of money -- not treating me to popcorn and/or a choc ice.

• Pet said:

silverjet said:

Finished watching Midnight Cowboy just now. Hated it. Barry did a great job though.

I saw that in a cinema when it first came out.  (Late 60s, 70s?  I dunno.)  If anyone wanted me to sit through it again, they'd have to pay me.  I mean a useful sum of money -- not treating me to popcorn and/or a choc ice.

Hahahaha. :D I actually thought you were gonna say something like "what are you talking about?!". I watched because Alison praised the film and Barry's composition in that summer BBC radio gig. Real torture.
    Post edited by silverjet at 2014-12-26 18:11:05
  • Watched Blade Runner tonight. Don't know why, since I didn't really like Alien(s). Didn't like this that much either. Enough of Ridley Scott I guess. He goes for this cool spacey atmosphere that doesn't grab me entirely. Very good soundtrack, though.
    Post edited by silverjet at 2014-12-26 18:13:47
  • I saw Tim Burton's latest 'Big Eyes' and I didn't care for it. Hard to say exactly why I didn't like it but, i will volunteer the following, that it rang a bit too hollow and it lacked magic. It's definitely not one of his better films and I might even say that it may be his worst.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Thank goodness you said something, as a friend is currently trying to convince me to see it.

Tonight: The Shining. No review needed for the renowned terrible casting, acting, and script. Again, lovely art direction, which created a sublimely eerie atmosphere. Loved it.
  • Just seen Half Nelson. I'm going through my to-watch films before I start another series, that's why I'm on a roll these days. Anyways, the film was moving and very touching. Ryan Gosling is brilliant. Got nominated for Oscar with this film.
    Post edited by silverjet at 2014-12-27 10:33:14
  • The Searchers with John Wayne, directed by John Ford. Set over 5 years, it tells the story of a ranchers search for his young niece taken from his brothers ranch by a Commanche raiding party. Set predominantly in Monument Valley it is a quite magnificent film. We visited Monument Valley once and it is both a spiritual, timeless and breathtaking place.
    Interesting trivia. The niece, Debbie is played by a very young Natalie Wood. John Wayne's character, Ethan Edwards, is assisted during this long search by his brothers ward, Martin Pawley, played by Jeffery Hunter; the first choice to play the lead in Star Trek before Bill Shatner and the James T Kirk character. He can be seen playing Captin Pike in the original Star Trek pilot episode 'The Cage' which later became the first season two parter, 'The Menagerie'
    It also includes the legendary line ' I'll thank you to unhan' my fi'ancy' !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-12-27 20:24:50
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • A_is_A said:

I saw Tim Burton's latest 'Big Eyes' and I didn't care for it. Hard to say exactly why I didn't like it but, i will volunteer the following, that it rang a bit too hollow and it lacked magic. It's definitely not one of his better films and I might even say that it may be his worst.

Worst? Even compared to Alice and Dark Shadows?

Post edited by Dreeke at 2014-12-27 20:28:59
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Hmmm well, Alice at least had the novelty of being one of the first films back in 3D and Dark Shadows had the novelty of kitsch nostalgia. This just seems rather flat and uninspired. I think it's a fault in character development/script?? Also there's just not enough of the surreal element that one comes to expect in a Burton film, there's really just a taste and it's not enough to hold the film together.
    See it and tell us what you think D.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • There was nothing nostalgic about Dark Shadows. Depp was far more like Count Chocula than Barnabas Collins. I actually enjoyed it for its utter lack of depth and lunch room humor. Every so often, I need that. I was surprised, too, as I usually can't stand Depp in anything.
  • I agree it had a certain charm. And this new one, just doesn't. At least not one I can detect.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-12-27 23:40:15
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • I've always hated those paintings anyhow.
  • Just watched Happiness. I'm in AWE! BRILLIANT PIECE OF ART!!! WOW!!! One of the best films I've ever seen for sure!!! Became an instant favorite of mine!
    Post edited by silverjet at 2014-12-29 18:03:11

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!