Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • December is always notable for one particular phenomenon - end of year lists! And unlike Christmas parties, I usually can't resist taking part.

I only went to about half the amount of gigs compared to the past few years. Not enough around that appealed. But never mind the quantity, the sheer quality is hard to beat.

Gig of the year: Goldfrapp @ the Royal Albert Hall. Earlier gigs (Glasgow and Brighton in particular) were superb but this was in a class of its own. Not just for the unexpected joys of the duet with John Grant or the choir performing 'Voicething' either. The 'Tales of Us' songs with the orchestra backing are just so affecting, the impact will be with me for a long time to come.

Another gig in a class of its own: Kate Bush @ Hammersmith Apollo. I never thought I'd see the day, so it was very emotional too. The staging of 'The Ninth Wave' in particular was stunning. But more than that - just hearing her sing in person. Unforgettable.

I'd waited a long time for this and seeing Prince @ The Hydro in Glasgow was another dream come true.

The rest of my top 10:

Anna Calvi @ the Arches, Glasgow
    First Aid Kit @ the Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow
    Imelda May @ the Queen's Hall, Edinburgh
    John Grant & the Royal Northern Sinfonia @ the Usher Hall, Edinburgh
    King Creosote @ PJ Molloys, Dunfermline
    Martin Metcalfe & the Fornicators @ the Voodoo Rooms, Edinburgh
    Pumajaw @ Summerhall, Edinburgh

From the Festivals I attended, the most memorable performance was from two sisters-  Twin-Headed Wolf @ Electric Picnic. Off-beat and beguiling.

The rest of my top 10:

Beck @ Electric Picnic
    Jenny Lewis @ Electric Picnic
    Kelis @ Electric Picnic
    London Grammar @ Electric Picnic
    Metronomy @ T in the Park
    Portishead @ Electric Picnic
    St Vincent @ Electric Picnic
    The Amazing Snakeheads @ T in the Park
    Tune-yards @ Electric Picnic

It may be that next year doesn't have any of these gig of a lifetime moments but I've got some brilliant ones lined up. Roll on 2015.

Post edited by KeithJ_gmb at 2014-12-15 03:08:54
  • 5 Comments sorted by
  • I've mixed up the festival and stand alone gigs in my top 10:

01. Goldfrapp @ Royal Albert Hall, Londen, 18-11
    02. Goldfrapp @ Brighton Dome, Brighton, 29-3
    03. John Grant @ Openluchttheater Caprera, Bloemendaal, 22-7
    04. Kate Boy @ The Lexington, Londen, 24-7
    05. Liesa van der Aa @ DeSingel, Antwerpen, 6-12
    06. Amy LaVere @ Meneer Frits, Eindhoven, 29-9
    07. Lykke Li @ Tivoli Oudegracht, Utrecht, 3-5
    08. Melanie de Biasio @ Eurosonic, Groningen 16-1
    09. Metronomy @ Best Kept Secret, Hilvarenbeek, 21-6
    10. Poppy Ackroyd @ Wagehuys, Leuven, 19-2

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Goldfrapp at RAH and Kate bush were difinitely my favourites, closely followed by st vincent.
  • Not been to so many gigs this year as previous year but my list is as follows:-

Goldfrapp at Royal Albert Hall, November

Anna Calvi at St Johns Hackney in December 

The above two are my stand outs for this year as my most admired, loved and respected artists. Plus the shows were fucking amazing anyway! 

Black Submarine in February at Wiltons Music Hall, London. Davide Rossi's new band in a lovely intimate venue. What was not to be liked? Plus a set list purloined.

The Pierces at Cambridge Junction in September. Two very talented sisters who played great songs and had a good support with their friend El May. Signed album from El May.

Goldfrapp at Greenwich Naval College in August. The usual excellence from our fave band. Pointless it being a seated gig, really bloody pointless!

Anna Calvi at The Institute in Birmingham in February. Well what can I say in a review where Im not going to always give Anna a 100% review? Stared right up at her from the front row and her fantastic guitar plucking shook the room so much a bit of plaque came out my tooth. Lovely moment I shall always cherish!

Manic Street Preachers in Leicester De Monfort in March. Fantastic sound and vision from the best band in Wales. Ever!!

Elbow in Nottingham Capital FM Arena in April. The beautiful sound and lyrics of Guy Garvey. What a lovely bloke he is. Great sound and setting plus support from Jimi Goodwin. Only down side was my sister having a good old grumpy session with her partner for making them late :(

Ren Harvieu at Milton Keynes The Stables (Cleo Lanes back garden!) in October. Very low key gig but still nice show for a Monday evening. Got to meet her afterwards and had picture taken. 

Roll on 2015 for more gigs from bands Ive not seen before :)

I forgot to mention Goldfrapp at Town Hall Symphony Hall Birmingham AND Belinda Carlisle in Birmingham this year :)
    Post edited by Hells_Bells at 2014-12-21 18:30:38
  • I saw Goldfrapp twice during the year (or was it in 2013?) but my favourite gig was Sophie Ellis Bextor at the Union Chapel (or was that in 2013?  -- it's hard to keep track).
    Post edited by Pet at 2014-12-21 19:08:17
  • The Great Escape Bristol... Everything about it! No need for other gigs.

Plus Boo Hewerdine in a church in devon. He was on fire and had some new jokes!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!