Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • Have also seen Interstellar now. I'm going to call it 'a science faction bleak-buster'

Very talky. Lots of silence. A final third that made me go out and buy the Kip Thorne "Science Of Interstellar" book - 336 pages of explanations and diagrams that I'm going to have to read more than once.

It IS a long film but none of it seems padding or wasted.

Go. Get comfy. Make your eyes happy.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • 3.10 to Yuma. Only seen it in bits before so watched the whole thing. Bleak times and life was cheap.
    It was interesting as we have done that journey, Bisbee to Yuma. Appy has a funny story involving a border control guard called Sanchez....
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Interstellar

It didn't feel long & I liked the way it was paced. It also had just the right balance of science/science fiction & human drama/emotional charge.
  • Last Saturday was movie night at Pet Towers.  I watched these two beauties.

'Rome Express' is a superior skulduggery on a train movie.  It's British and was made in 1932.  It went on to inspire such later films as 'The Lady Vanishes' and was re-made (less successfully) as 'Sleeping Car to Trieste'.  This original is well worth catching, and the DVD (although stated to be Region 1) is actually region free.

Although the poster for 'Reptilicus' (reproduced on the DVD case) shows the monster attacking the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, the film is actually set in and around Copenhagen.  It is, in fact, the only Danish monster movie.  It certainly makes a change to see Copenhagen as the target of a monster, rather than Tokyo, London, New York or San Francisco.  The film makes rather a lot of its Danish setting, and a section in the middle might be publicity material turned out by the Copenhagen Tourist Board.  It even includes a song about how good it is to visit the city.  Good, perhaps, in ordinary times -- but when a monster is on the rampage????  The storyline seemed to me to make even less sense that such things usually do.  The scientists go to a lot of effort to regenerate the monster (from a bit of its tail) then, when they succeed, immediately want to kill it (before the rampage).  If that was how they looked at it, why regenerate the thing?  The film's in colour, the special effects are of models and what I suspect to be (in essence) a rubber monster glove puppet.  It includes the most inept special effect I can recall ever having seen, in which the monster eats what is obviously a paper cut out of a farmer.  In other words, the film's a lot of fun.  The DVD is Italian, but is easy to play in English without subtitles from the set up menu.  (One can alternatively watch it dubbed into Italian or in English with Italian subtitles... but it is emphatically not the sort of film people watch with subtitles.  Maybe that option is for Italian-speakers learning English, or English-speakers learning Italian.)

I look back on watching the two films as an excellent movie night.

• The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, in it's 2003 restored to 3 hour length form with several missing scenes.
    Fantastic. Leone's cinematography is superb and his camera angles, close ups and wide angle shots are fabulous.
    And Morricone' s soundtrack. Had the sub titles on and it credited all the different sections of the score.
    An inspiration !
  • The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, in it's 2003 restored to 3 hour length form with several missing scenes.
    Fantastic. Leone's cinematography is superb and his camera angles, close ups and wide angle shots are fabulous.
    And Morricone' s soundtrack. Had the sub titles on and it credited all the different sections of the score.
    An inspiration !

Love it, remember watching this as a treat as a kid when the BBC showed a load of Spaghetti Westerns. Almost jumped out of my seat when my name was called out during a scene.

"Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • The Hunger Games - Mockingjay

It's obviously different due to what happened in the last movie. its been getting a lot of stick lately for being slow and "boring"me and the other half compared it to the reactions part one of Deathly Hallows got. lots of talky bits with camping. tbf part 1 of deathly hallows has to be my favourite harry potter film, part two being my least. 

but yeah, if your expecting lots of action like the first and second films, then don't. there is some. but it seems to be more of a set up to whats to come in part 2. at least i think so. i haven't read the book, so i have no idea what goes one.

• Not seen Mockingjay as yet but I'm guessing you're not far off the mark Cookiee. I've read all three books and don't get why they need two films to complete the 'trilogy'! (other than they can cream more cash from the punters)
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Appy61 said:

Not seen Mockingjay as yet but I'm guessing you're not far off the mark Cookiee. I've read all three books and don't get why they need two films to complete the 'trilogy'! (other than they can cream more cash from the punters)

The Potter books were so jammed , the extra movie worked , but Mockinjay seemed um..spread too thin to me . I liked it but it just seemed a bit Twilighty , ie teenage girl mooning around a bit over 2 chaps (actually a lot and it was badly done imo) . Thats not meant to be a sexist comment but I`m specifically talking about Katniss "a 17yr old girl from District 12" and comparing her to the piece of wood in Twilight . 
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-11-24 15:59:58
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Sartori said:

Appy61 said:

Not seen Mockingjay as yet but I'm guessing you're not far off the mark Cookiee. I've read all three books and don't get why they need two films to complete the 'trilogy'! (other than they can cream more cash from the punters)

The Potter books were so jammed , the extra movie worked , but Mockinjay seemed um..spread too thin to me . I liked it but it just seemed a bit Twilighty , ie teenage girl mooning around a bit over 2 chaps (actually a lot and it was badly done imo) . Thats not meant to be a sexist comment but I`m specifically talking about Katniss "a 17yr old girl from District 12" and comparing her to the piece of wood in Twilight . 

yeah, i kind of agree here. i enjoyed the film, but yeah there are flaws. i really don't buy the chemistry between katniss and peta... 
  • The romance part of it was a flat pancake . I wasn't after a rom-com but it seemed unrealistic as you say . But , I enjoyed it , seeing Natalie Dormer was a treat (rubs thighs) and the film sets up the final film very well . As there is a plethora of maudlin matinees going on at this time (Interstellar etc) it could of raised the bar after the high bar of the last but it dipped . My opinion .
  • I really enjoyed it and yes, Cressida does indeed rock - her tattoo/shave hairstyle is most scrumptious. Ok, I'm shallow.

If the first two Hunger Games films were Star Wars then Mockingjay Pt1 is definitely Empire. I liked the complete change of pace and the gradual exposition.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Last night I watched I Married a Monster from Outer Space, which has got to be the best film title ever.  Gloria Talbott was extraordinarily beautiful and a good actress.  She should, I feel, have become a much bigger star than she did.  See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Talbott

Am I right in thinking that people on here here have been talking about Hunger Games films?  I watched one (probably the first) on television a while back.  I was most unimpressed.  The characters seem more two dimensional than those of I Married a Monster from Outer Space (which is a modest film, delivering more than one might expect; whereas Hunger Games is overblown and delivers much less than I expected).  And there's so much about Hunger Games that doesn't make sense.  How, for example, could they change the rules part way through the game?  How would the people who have betted big money on it react to that?  Duh??????????????????????????
  • Mrs T would like to add 'Hot Tub Time Machine' as a contender for best ever (?) film title.
  • U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!