Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Royal Albert Hall - 18 Nov 2014
  • 497 Comments sorted by
  • Just the most brilliant gig, still buzzing. Yes there was nerves and it was emotional, that's what it's all about performing at this level. Black Cherry at the end was sublime and perfect, tears were rolling down my cheeks for sure so how Alison held it together I don't know! Mind you I was weeping openly after Alvar!!
    Oh my, let's hope good things come to those that wait ...

On a separate note anyone joining me in Hammersmith for Mr Numan next Friday?

Cheers
    Ted

• A scribe with a heart. Who would have thought. Cracking review.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Cool
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I'm afraid I have a more pessimistic take on the 'this is our last gig.....' comment. I HOPE I'M WRONG.

It has seemed to me, ever since Manchester, that ToU is so perfect that it is going to be extremely difficult, perhaps impossible, to follow. Each album has been a change of direction from the previous one, so it is possible that the genius combination that is Will and Alison will find a new direction to go for album 7. But what could it be? I think a return to 'pop-songs' (a la SN and HF) would represent no challenge to them and less-than-usual joy to us. Another album in the FM/ST/ToU vein could not possibly be an improvement on ToU (could it?) so risks being an anti-climactic disappointment. The only development I can imagine would be a full-CD-length operatic/symphonic exploration. That might be hugely rewarding and enjoyable - but could it really be under the Goldfrapp badge, which is gloriously associated with masterpieces of 4 or 5 minutes?

If Alison and Will have been thinking along these lines much of what we saw on Tuesday is explained. Alison was more nervous and emotional than usual, which caused her to trip over several of her spoken links and crept into the songs two or three times (eg, Laurel was beautiful and haunting, but not faultless). This emotion could have been triggered by the majesty of the venue, and with little or no front lighting the thousands of eager faces would have been more obvious than usual - but I think it was more than that. If there are no plans for a new album the possibility that this might really be the last ever gig may well have been dominating her thoughts, and may well explain the breakdown at the end of Black Cherry (which I thought she sang even better than she has before). And her comment that this would be the last gig was only qualified with 'for a very long time' after a long pause - as if she wasn't sure that there'd ever be another.

It might also explain the fact that BC was the only encore song. It looked to me as if the band - and the orchestra - were expecting there to be more. They only put down their instruments when it became clear that Alison was waving goodbye. We've never known a gig to end on a 'slow' song: I suspect that 'Strict Machine' was lined up but Alison felt she could do no more after ending BC in tears. 

As I say, I hope I'm wrong and that there are ever greater heights for Goldfrapp to reach in the future.   

I have Alisons set list and there was nothing after BC.
    "The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men." - Leonardo da Vinci

FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/howard.trigg
    INSTAGRAM - https://www.instagram.com/howiet1971/
  • Pet said:

I know this won't be popular, but to strike a dissenting note, I've looked at a couple of clips from the concert on YouTube and didn't like either of them.  One of them was of Utopia, which is a good song, but that version struck me as spoiled by the way in which the musical instruments (not least the drums) seem so much louder than Alison's voice.  I could scarcely hear her for much of the song.  Perhaps it was just a bad recording.  The other YouTube video at which I looked was the duet.  I hadn't previously heard of John Grant, and had no preconceptions about him, but rapidly decided that I strongly disliked his singing voice.  Having heard (I thought) much more than enough, I turned the video off at 1 minute 23 seconds, glad to escape the remainder.

The sound was incredible in the RAH, aalison was definitely heard. As for Utopia, personally I thought it was stunning. Mobile phone video does not capture concert sound well in my opinion.
    "The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men." - Leonardo da Vinci

• If anyone wants to see my photos from the night, search my profile name on instagram HOWIET1971

• I failed to spot any cameras. I doubt it was filmed. The gig itself was a great treat! I would love to have it on DVD or at least mp3... But hey... Ho-humn... :-)
    “The inexpressible depth of music, so easy to understand and yet so inexplicable, is due to the fact that it reproduces all the emotions of our innermost being, but entirely without reality and remote from its pain...Music expresses only the quintessence of life and of its events, never these themselves.”
    ― Oliver Sacks, Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain
  • DuhVeed said:

I failed to spot any cameras. I doubt it was filmed. The gig itself was a great treat! I would love to have it on DVD or at least mp3... But hey... Ho-humn... :-)

There were 2 camera's shooting from the back of the soundboard

• There are some great pro shots, which were put up today on the GF Facebook page - well worth taking a look.

I'm really hoping someone - officially or not - recorded it because that was the best GF gigs I've ever been to and one of the top 10 by any artists. No sign yet of any recordings on any of the "usual suspect" sites... starting to get a bit anxious!
    :-S

I recorded it.
  • The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
  • Hopefully, this may calm a few jittery nerves. On Twatter from the lady herself responding to fans posts about the RAH gig.
    I'm so pleased you enjoyed it, it really has been a treat doing all of these shows for you. I can't wait til the next ones....
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
  • BIG thanks to all those that have posted pictures and videos. Ive given up trying to take any myself as just come out crap.
    Brings back happy memories seeing these :)

• There are some great pro shots, which were put up today on the GF Facebook page - well worth taking a look.

I'm really hoping someone - officially or not - recorded it because that was the best GF gigs I've ever been to and one of the top 10 by any artists. No sign yet of any recordings on any of the "usual suspect" sites... starting to get a bit anxious!
    :-S

I recorded it.

You scamp! Your intentions?

Well...I want you all to have it.Unfortunately I ran out of battery juice near the end so I only have half of Happiness,2 x 60 second clips of Caravan Girl and 1 x 50 second clip of Black Cherry.I used an Ipod Touch,using the video facility in 1080p but only recorded audio,although it sounds good.I didn't take any visual footage.
    What's the situation with regards to posting links for downloads as I don't want to tread on anyone's toes and get into trouble.

• I have some videos (including pretty much the worst video of Black Cherry - I didn't actually record the video, just audio), but not sure when I will get around to uploading them...
    Formerly known as alex_t.
  • What's the situation with regards to posting links for downloads as I don't want to tread on anyone's toes and get into trouble.

Pretty much post whatever you want as long as it's not an album leak, at least that's how i've always understood it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!