Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Royal Albert Hall - 18 Nov 2014
  • 497 Comments sorted by
  • Hi HJ, no did not get time to get to the pub, so missed alot of you.......and edited
  • Wonderful concert.Great venue.Alison in very fine voice.Lovely strings and choir.Nice souvenir programme but a bit wafer thin for £15.She said that was the last gig for a long time so a fitting end to the 'Tales Of Us' era.

Anyway,there's some videos already floating around worth watching:

Alison and John Grant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WxApOKUJhE  The highlight of the night.

Post edited by 8bitcruncher at 2014-11-19 11:10:51
  • What a spectacular evening. Lovely to meet so many of you :-)
    I want to swim your silk black skin to the floor
    On lava moons
    A song of hooves playing loud
  • Pineapple said:

Wonder where Simone went?

Was wondering that too. My favourite from TOU.
    I want to swim your silk black skin to the floor
    On lava moons
    A song of hooves playing loud
  • From where we were sitting - not far from Charlie's left shoulder - the sound balance wasn't great: drums and bass too loud and Alison too quiet. When Charlie and Seb were rocking (and when Seb's rocking everyone nearby is in serious physical danger!) we couldn't hear much of Alison........but they are such a fine rhythm section that concentrating on them for once was quite fun. 

If I'd been told in advance that Lips Choir would feature centre stage with Voicething and that Alison would duet (with anyone on anything) I'd have been disappointed. As it was Voicething and SVM were two of the highlights, along with Black Cherry, Drew, Stranger (all of which were superb with the orchestra in full flight) Happiness (which I hadn't previously heard live), Laurel, Ulla, Little Bird, Clowns etc, etc

But where was Simone? Her presence was definitely missed........ 
  • Hi guys. Great show last night. I have put up some photos on my instagram Howiet1971 along with Alisons set list that I managed to get. (I actually had a security man almost drag me half off the stage as I couldn't quite reach it... the show had long finished by the way, lol). Anyway, hope you like them.

ps. Did anyone else think what Alison said about this being their last show, "probably for a long while" was a little odd? I didn't think much of it until she started crying at the end of Black Cherry and couldn't finish the song. I wonder if they are taking a break? (And I don't just mean in between albums)
    "The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men." - Leonardo da Vinci

FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/howard.trigg
    INSTAGRAM - https://www.instagram.com/howiet1971/
  • I can't tell you how it feels being an ocean away...but it's always been that way. As for the "probably in a long while", maybe they're gonna work on the Kathleen Winter adaption? Didn't I hear they bought the rights?

Did anyone happen to record Monster Love or Voicething?! Or Black Cherry? Even though I'm sure it will bring tears for me too. Sounded like a magical evening-
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I do remember reading a tweet not long ago about them getting back into the studio, so I'm gonna just hold onto that, and this...Gorgrous outfit from last night

https://twitter.com/hungermagazine/status/535125395813593088

I had posted a link to videos I found on youtube but they have since been erased? Fascination Managment (their management) tweeted one of them. Check their feed

[EDIT by HJ: No, your post with 2 vid links is still there! Thanks for those!]
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-11-19 15:34:44
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • With that being the last gig of the era's final tour and all singles & cinema having been done I'd wager they'll be taking their foot off the gas, getting the TOU mood out of their systems and letting the slate fall blank so they can start afresh off down the line somewhere.

When you consider the first gigs of an era are normally quite close to an album launch that would make for a good long break from last night to whenever.

It worked for them last time so I'd say it's probably the best thing - all the sweeter when things eventually regroup and stops it becoming a chore for her/them.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • I have uploaded 6 vids to YouTube. Inc Voicething. Will post links later to the board. Look for Lisa Rippon on YouTube and you will find them.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • ^ brilliant UT, looking forward to seeing them. thank you!
  • Yeah, the vids are a great "flavour of" for those of us unable to make it. Top stuff.
  • It was a bit dark on stage as it was lit from behind and above but nowt from the front. Vids appear ok ( I got Some Velvet Morning with the great John Grant) but the stills were looking a bit dark, so I had to go up to 1600 ASA which is not ideal. Some look ok in the camera so will try to process tonight and upload to Flickr.
    We had a great night but did not get home and into bed until 2.00am. Up again at 7.15 to get ready for work.
    Totally worth it. Saw Will before and after the gig. Before, he was pottering around the corner of the stage he would eventually play from fettling his instruments ( a Korg MS20 among them). He seemed more pensive than usual, probably more stress as he was performing later, but he still found time to sign my ticket and said he hoped we had a great night. Then at the end, he was back, picking up his recorder. Did not speak to him then but he was back out only 10 minutes after finishing.
    Great to meet you all again. Perhaps we should have a meet up next year somewhere to just chew the Frapp cud without having to rush off to a gig. Toyah fans continued to meet at the pub across from the Mermaid Theatre where she did Trafford Tanzi annually for some years after the event.
    Something to do while we wait for the next incarnation of Frapp. Anyone interested, say so and we can see if we can get some inertia.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-11-19 15:59:13
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Perhaps we should have a meet up next year somewhere to just chew the Frapp cud without having to rush off to a gig. Toyah fans continued to meet at the pub across from the Mermaid Theatre where she did Trafford Tanzi annually for some years after the event.
    Something to do while we wait for the next incarnation of Frapp. Anyone interested, say so and we can see if we can get some inertia.

Loving the idea - maybe somewhere like Manchester as that was great for MIF with good transport links in all directions (north AND south) and the accommodation we used was cheap & pleasant. A fresh thread beckons for you to create, I'd say!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!