Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Your 10 favorite Goldfrapp songs
  • 43 Comments sorted by
  • Crystalline Green is a very underrated track. It is what hooked me into Goldfrapp in the end. I saw Jools H with Train, Strict Machine and Black Cherry on in 2003 ( Alision soo sexy in thigh boots, short skirt and Kepi) and I went out a bought the Black Cherry album. First track Crystalline Green.
    I was gone man; solid gone! The rest is history. Saw it live at Razzamatazz in Barcelona and it is great live. Shame they do not still do it. According to Setlist, it has been played 59 times, last time in 2011 in Santiago, Chile.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

•  Shame they do not still do it. According to Setlist, it has been played 59 times, last time in 2011 in Santiago, Chile.

It was a regular on Head First World Tour. Two things bother me. First; lyrically the song is just so blah and it's written by one of the best lyricists around. Second; Alison sings the first two verses like a slutty singer (Kesha etc.) the "down" before the first chorus is just plain annoying. But I LOVE the hook. Yeah, could say a bit underrated. But I've got Deep Honey and Tiptoe to complain about first.
  • silverjet said:

Shame they do not still do it. According to Setlist, it has been played 59 times, last time in 2011 in Santiago, Chile.

It was a regular on Head First World Tour. Two things bother me. First; lyrically the song is just so blah and it's written by one of the best lyricists around. Second; Alison sings the first two verses like a slutty singer (Kesha etc.) the "down" before the first chorus is just plain annoying. But I LOVE the hook. Yeah, could say a bit underrated. But I've got Deep Honey and Tiptoe to complain about first.

It's the end section of the song I love, bearing in mind this takes up 1/2 the song as it really starts at 2.15. The layering of Alison's voice and the different sounds zinging and bouncing around in the mix just create a wonderful 3 dimensional sound stage and it is just magical. I never tire of hearing it. Interesting you mention the lyrical content of the song. I can honestly say I have never really paid much attention to what she is singing; I think it is one of their songs where how it is sung, in the manner of viewing Alison's voice as an instrument, rather than what she is actually saying, that is the point. It has also struck me that the bass guitar in the song is incredibly simple, but is all the more powerful for it as in less is more.
    And the transition then into Train is just...fab !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I'm agreeing with you there UT. I love the contrast between the dirty bass and vocals in the verses and the uplifting catchy hook of the chorus. Only Goldfrapp could pull that off, IMO. I drove home from work tonight in a great mood cos I was playing the HF album at full blast and warbling along. I let every waiting driver out with a friendly smile and waved at traffic lights! bovvered? Face? Traffic? Bovvered?!!!!....
  • hmm. it always depends on what mood i'm in. but here goes.
    (in no particular order)

lovely head
    pilots (radio mix)
    paper bag
    black cherry
    strict machine
    ride a white horse
    clowns
    voicething
    stranger
    drew

• Very tough, but I would say (in no particular order) :

Simone
    Stranger
    Laurel
    Clowns
    Eat Yourself
    Let It Take You
    Number 1
    Tiptoe
    Pilots
    Utopia
  • KatR - I'm in the same place with this - it depends on the mood. I 'shuffled' across All Night Operator again last weekend and that was my favourite of the day.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • @Appy61 That's one of my faves. I just discovered a cool little 4-track recording App, think I'm gonna test it out by doing my own guitar rendition of it :-bd
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • @Vesper VERY nice list! :-bd
  • I'll be doing this but having a think first - half are very easy to pick but the other half might take some internal fighting!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • big black cloud little white lie
    white soft rope
    yes sir (extended) 
    head first
    simone
    pilots (on a star)
    you never know
    slide in
    hairy trees
    (the musical bits on My Summer of Love soundtrack)
    Post edited by stevil at 2014-12-16 18:43:44
  • Crystalline Green is a very underrated track.

agreed...it's my number 11 and it's amazing LIVE

Post edited by stevil at 2014-12-16 18:44:11
  • Road to Somewhere (acoustic version)

Thea

Let It Take You

Jo

Felt Mountain

U.K Girls

Hunt

Dreaming

Hairy Trees

Gone to Earth

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!