Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 57 Comments sorted by
  • Dreeke said:

I think you're confusing me with Pet... ;)

Yes apologies @Dreeke and @Pet. It must have been a long day.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Never mind.

I've taken a dozen photographs showing some of my music DVDs.  (49 DVDs in 12 pictures.)

Here's the Kylie DVD collection part 1 of 3.  The first four of these are collections of music videos.  (Greatest Hits", "Greatest Hits 87-98", "Ultimate Kylie" and "The Artist Collection".)  I suppose that if one was to go for just one of these, it would have to be "Ultimate Kylie" -- but each includes something not to be found in any of the others.  (Or, at least, I believe so.)

Here, too, are the two earliest Kylie live DVDs.  "Intimate and Live" is of a 1998 concert in Sydney.  It's an Australian DVD, long since deleted.  "Live in Dublin" is even older -- a 1991 concert.  It's a German DVD, also deleted.

• Kylie DVDs part 2.  Six DVDs of Kylie concerts.  The one that appears centre bottom is a double DVD -- The Showgirl Homecoming Tour (live in Melbourne) on one DVD, and the 'White Diamond' film on the other.

• Kylie DVDs part 3.

Top: the CD/DVD special editions of the 'X', 'Aphrodite' and 'Kiss Me Once' albums.  I especially like the 'Aphrodite' DVD, which includes 3 live songs from Kylie's 2009 North American tour.

Bottom left: 'Aphrodite' live at the O2.  This is a little boxed set with 2 CDs of the show, and the entire show on DVD.  Of course, this show is also available (and well worth owning) on Blu-ray.

Bottom right: Another compilation of Kylie videos.  Actually a CD and DVD.  I bought this for the DVD, which includes the 'Aphrodite' era videos.  Both the CD and the DVD feature good selections of Kylie songs.

• Moving on from Kylie to Blondie...

From left to right:

Live in Toronto, Blondie's last concert before they split for the first time.  (After 'The Hunter' album -- that split up.)

Live in New York after the band re-formed (in 1999).

Essentially, a Blondie television show from 2004 (with some extra songs not included in the original television broadcast).

• And Blondie part 2.

Top left: 'Eat to the Beat' CD/DVD.  Perhaps my favourite Blondie album.  For whatever reason, Blondie made a video of every song on this album.  And (you guessed it) the DVD collects those videos.

Top centre: 'Blondie at the BBC' CD/DVD.  The CD is of a 1979 concert recorded in Glasgow for the BBC.  The DVD has Blondie on TOTP, on The Old Grey Whistle Test and eleven songs from the Glasgow concert.  The CD has 22 songs from this concert.  What the fuck?  Did the BBC film just half of the concert, covering the other half only as a sound recording?  Crumbs!

Top right: 'Greatest Hits' CD/DVD.  The CD has 22 tracks -- Blondie's hits, plus some remixes and the like.  The DVD is of 17 videos -- from 'In the Flesh' to 'Good Boys'.  I used to have a Blondie videos DVD in a DVD-sized case.  This CD/DVD replaced that because it includes all the same videos, plus 'Good Boys'.  So this is the version to buy, if you want Blondie videos.

Bottom left: CD/DVD edition of the 'Panic of Girls' album (2011).  The DVD is of the 'Mother' video (perhaps Blondie's best video, which is as far as I know unavailable on any other DVD).  There's also a Chris Stein photogallery.

Bottom right: Ghosts of Download/Greatest Hits Deluxe Redux -- special 2 CD plus DVD edition.  Issued in 2014, this is a real oddity. (1) 'Ghosts of Download' is a (CD) album of new songs.  Some of it I like, some it I strongly dislike. (2) 'Greatest Hits Deluxe Redux' is a (CD) album of recently re-recorded Blondie songs.  I like this a lot more than I expected to, and think that some of the tracks are better than the originals.  (3) A DVD of the earliest (1977) Blondie concert to have appeared on DVD.  This set would be worth buying for the concert alone.  But it seems very odd that this seminal concert has been packaged with two (very different) CDs of new recordings.

Post edited by Pet at 2014-10-31 07:01:42
  • Still sidestepping Blu-rays, which are what this thread was supposed to be about, I continue with my music DVDs -- and come to the B-52s.

With the Wild Crowd!   This is the one to buy if you're shopping for a B-52's DVD.  It's a complete concert from 2011 (20 songs.)  There's also a bonus of an interview with the B-52's.  You know it makes sense!

Live Germany 1983.  Although recorded at the height of the band's popularity, this seems to me a rather disappointing DVD.  It's not a proper live concert, but a session recorded for German TV.  (Just 7 songs.)

Time Capsule.  This is a 15 track greatest hits CD plus a DVD of 12 videos.  An odd thing is a mismatch between the two discs.  Obviously, there are going to be at least 3 songs on the CD that aren't on the DVD.  In fact, by my count, there are only 7 songs that are on both discs.  So there are 8 on the CD but not the DVD and 5 on the DVD but not the CD.  I'm at a loss to guess why they did that.  Still, this is (as far as I know) the only DVD of B-52's videos -- making it a must have.

[Oh, and to further confuse the issue there is also a Time Capsule CD with no DVD.  That has the same number of tracks as the CD from the CD/DVD set -- but one of the songs is different.]

• Thumbs up to the B52's Pet. Been following them since the late 70's. I have a great 'They came from Planet Claire' T shirt. I seem to remember @KatRobin is a fan as well.
    I also have the Blondie Redux 2 CD DVD release. The concert footage is a bit blocky in places but a great gig at the New York CBGB club, Debbie resplendent in her Coca-Cola pants. What I found strange is that she is already 32 in that footage.
  • Thumbs up to the B52's Pet. Been following them since the late 70's. I have a great 'They came from Planet Claire' T shirt. I seem to remember @KatRobin is a fan as well.
    I also have the Blondie Redux 2 CD DVD release. The concert footage is a bit blocky in places but a great gig at the New York CBGB club, Debbie resplendent in her Coca-Cola pants. What I found strange is that she is already 32 in that footage.

There's nobody else like the B-52's.  The world would definitely be a sadder place without 'Rock Lobster', though my favourite B-52's song may be 'Song for a Future Generation'.

You're right: the footage of Blondie at the CBGB club leaves something to be desired, but it's a great gig.  And, yes, it took Debbie a surprisingly long time to emerge as a star.  And, I think, Blondie became big in the UK quite a while before they really made it in the USA.
  • Here's another clutch of DVDs from my CD shelves.  A decidedly mixed bunch, varying from the super cool to the not cool at all.  I suspect that everybody except me will find something to love and something to hate amongst these six.  I love them all, although I may not love them equally.

Top left: Lily Allen: It's Not Me, It's You.  Special Edition CD & DVD.  I think that 'It's Not Me, It's You' is Lily's best album.  (And to judge from her most recent one, it will remain her best.)  The Special Edition CD has 9 extra tracks, including an acoustic session.  The DVD has 8 songs from a live gig (or perhaps two live gigs, unless she had a costume change part way through).  There's an interview, and all four promo videos of 'It's Not Me, It's You' songs.  The videos (as videos) vary (in my opinion) from good to awesome.  The concert footage is also very enjoyable.

Top centre: The Best of Babes in Toyland and Kat Bjelland.  It's a CD plus DVD, and there's a lot on both discs.  For those unfamiliar with Babes in Toyland, they were (are?) a riot grrrl band.  Kat Bjelland was (is?) their leading light -- and puts plenty of grrrr into it.  Kat, I believe, was at school with Courtney Love, included Courtney in her first lineup, before chucking Ms Love out of the band.  Make what you will of that.

Top Right: The Very Best of Bucks Fizz.  Another CD and DVD.  The CD has 18 songs, the DVD has 17 videos.  The selections on the two discs differ somewhat, but both include both 'Making Your Mind Up' and 'The Land of Make Believe'.  I'm not hugely fussed about the other songs.

Bottom Left: Kleenex/LiLiPUT, Live Recordings, TV clips and Roadmovie.  This is super cool.  Kleenex and LiLiPUT were essentially the same band, but they changed their name due to pressure from the Kleenex company.  (There's at least one other [very different] band on my CD shelves who ran into similar trouble -- The Hazzards, originally the Ukes of Hazzard, to which the makers of a certain television programme objected.)  LiLiPUT was a Swiss band, and they don't sound like anyone else.  The Roadmovie is something I've watched repeatedly -- just footage of them on tour, mostly on the road, with their music as the soundtrack.  A super cool film.  The videos are great, too, and the CD well worth several listens.

Bottom Centre: Madonna Celebration.  In CD-sized packaging, but actually a double DVD.  47 of Madonna's videos.  It probably requires no further comment from me.

Bottom Right: Spice Girls Greatest Hits.  CD and DVD.  15 track CD plus a DVD of 12 videos.  Again, it probably requires no further comment from me.

• I've got that Lily Allen special edition as well.
    Agree on it being her best album.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Dreeke said:

I've got that Lily Allen special edition as well.
    Agree on it being her best album.

It really is!  I used to have at least half a dozen (more, I think) Lily Allen CDs, and have reduced them to just three:
    1. "It's Not Me, It's You" Special Edition CD & DVD.
    2. "Alright, Still..."  Her first album, which also includes some good songs (though it's a very long time since I last played it).
    3. A "Smile" single that includes the video (albeit in a form that only computers can play -- ages since I last played a video on a computer) and two B side songs.

Her latest album and several singles went -- items not wanted on voyage.
  • Now, I come to Pop Princesses.

Each of these is a CD and a DVD.  There is also a Pop Princesses 3, but that has no DVD and -- in my estimation -- these compilations are worth owning only for the DVDs.  All of them mix gems and germs.  I hope that the very worst tracks will never assault my ears again.  (Gah!!)  All three of the DVDs, though, include videos I enjoy and which I don't have elsewhere.  The best of the three, in my estimation, is Pop Princesses 2009.  The DVD includes my only copies two videos I really love:
    1. Gabriella Cilmi: Sweet About Me
    2. Alesha Dixon: The Boy Does Nothing
    Sometimes when I slip this into the player I also look at/listen to:
    1. Girls Aloud: The Loving Kind (but I have it elsewhere, of course).
    2. Pink: So What
    3. The Ting Tings: Shut Up and Let Me Go

Pop Princesses and Pop Princesses 2 both include my only copies of Rachel Stevens and Avril Lavigne videos that I enjoy.  Most of the other gems duplicate other DVDs I own (Girls Aloud, Kylie, Britney Spears, etc. -- you get the picture).

• Pet said:

There's nobody else like the B-52's.  The world would definitely be a sadder place without 'Rock Lobster', though my favourite B-52's song may be 'Song for a Future Generation'.

>

Have you got this live disc of the B52's Pet?

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-11-07 16:19:55
  • I own only one music dvd (I have no idea where it is.) Even my VHS recordings have long since traversed the eBay Highway. YouTube has eliminated the need.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the elusive Tishbites...

If I were dead, could I do this?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!