Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • Pet said:

^ Oh, and one other thing about my ordering the Sucker Punch triple edition -- although I opted for free super saver delivery, it arrived less than 48 hours after I placed my order.  Crumbs!

I've usually found the accelerated delivery from Amazon is not worth it. More often or not the package turns up within 48 hours anyway.
    It seems you and I are at the vanguard of a Sucker Punch revival! The review from Rewak earlier was probably valid from a pure film critique angle but sometimes, I just like a film to wash over me.
    Take the Matrix. The first film was brilliant. The second just as good but no longer original in concept, so lesser in some respects. The third? Disappointing. There was so much that was just wrong about the finale that it did spoil the whole trilogy. On reflection though, the first film was worth it, bonkers though it was.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • ^ Yeah, it's hard to see why anyone would pay for delivery on items purchased directly from Amazon.  (Items from Amazon Marketplace sellers are, of course, another matter.)  There's bound to be something inexpensive but good to top up the purchase to a tenner, and free super saver delivery is really quick.  Not long ago, I ordered the Maleficent Blu-ray.  With the free delivery option, it was delivered on the official release date.

'Bonkers' seems exactly the right word for The Matrix.

Rewak comparing the Sucker Punch action sequences to music videos didn't bother me.  As should be clear from the Music Blu-ray thread, I like music videos a great deal.
  • Best delivery service we had was from Nespresso - order Sunday afternoon arrived Monday morning with free delivery.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • That's a great surname that director has! Sounds like my sorta thing this. Wonder if ebay can help?
  • I was referring to Pet s film a page back, I missed a page. Oops.
  • Hmmmmm, boarding school. I may have to take a look at "Innocence" too.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Ponygurl said:

I watched "Björk- Biophlilia" last night at the theater. There was a Tesla Coil used as an instrument! I just love her spirit and creativity sooo much! I feel as if she's my sista from anotha mista. She ended with "Sacrifice" :x

Just realized I spelled that wrong! It's supposed to be "Biolphlilliallioac"- whoops
    U R I E L
  • Yes, the director of "Innocence" has a wonderful name (as long as I'm not asked to pronounce it, anyway).
  • Just watched a small clip of it- aw, it's about little tykes. I'm not sure if it can hold my interest to be honest..although it had a "Pinic at Hanging Rock" vibe. Looks like beautiful cinematography though.
    U R I E L
  • Ponygurl said:

Just watched a small clip of it- aw, it's about little tykes. I'm not sure if it can hold my interest to be honest..although it had a "Pinic at Hanging Rock" vibe. Looks like beautiful cinematography though.

Yes, it's about little tykes.  If you're looking for something sexually stimulating, you need to look elsewhere.  It does (as they say) what it says on the tin: "Innocence".  It does have something in common with the "Picnic at Hanging Rock" vibe -- but is much weirder.  And, indeed, it's full of beautiful cinematography.
  • Saw Interstellar this morning/afternoon , most enjoyable , human relationships , robots , black hole thingies - tension , wonderful cinematography , a Hans Zimmer score that emotifies scenes even more . Not for pretentious types that go t`cinema in a `wanting to be negative` mindset though . I can only say to ignore any and all reviews and just enjoy the film as a cinematic spectacle (ps take some sandwiches and a pissbag as it`s a bit long) .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • ^ Might I ask how long?  An advantage of waiting until it appears on DVD or Blu-ray is the facility to pause it to have a wee, make a cuppa or a bite to eat.  Of course, it would be more spectacular on a bigger screen.
  • About to watch Interstellar too. Ta for mini-review, Rob.

It's 2 hours 50 mins.
  • 169 earth minutes , about 20years if you get caught in a black hole thingy . Enjoy Elliot :) . The one-liners from Tars are well worth the money as well - "60%" haha
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-11-07 12:06:23
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Last night, I watched Sucker Punch.

The storyline is too complicated and incoherent.  But the thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth is the theme of abusing children and vulnerable young adults.  This is a serious issue.  Many cases have come to light in recent years, not least that of a vile DJ, whom I will not name, who abused many of his victims in hospitals.  I have grave doubts about placing this theme (as here) in what is essentially entertainment.  The fact that so much of the film looks unreal, like CGI, even when it presumably isn't, leaves me even more uncomfortable about the way the abuse is treated.  Of course, I should be uncomfortable about the abuse -- but is my discomfort, here, of an appropriate kind?

The dance and action sequences are very enjoyable, but...

Post edited by Pet at 2014-11-13 04:27:15

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!