Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by

Horns

A decent idea very poorly executed. You'll figure the entire movie out within the first 30 minutes and spend the last 90 minutes bored of your ass waiting for the resolution that's so long and drawn out you just don't care when it's finally over. It's frustrating to watch because you know with some proper editing and structuring it could have easily been a 90 minute movie, kept the plot to itself until the proper time you're meant to figure things out, and overall been way more enjoyable. As it is though i wouldn't recommend it.
  • KatRobin said:

Sigh...you all see such arty films... There's nowhere in a thirty to fifty mile radius of here that would show anything in that vein. I feel exempt from this thread, oh dear. :(

I lived in Shropshire for the first 30 years of my life and I therefore feel your pain. We had to go 20 miles to Stoke or 20 miles to Shrewsbury and even then it was for the big retail park multiplex style things. That was great for a gang of you going off to see a new film but it wasn't the only flavour I wanted, for sure.

Now I'm up here I throw myself into the chances to see and do stuff, hence pushing into mad stuff like the Tarr epic.

You're never excluded from anywhere though, that's for sure! :)

Oh gosh. When you say stoke do you mean the film theatre on the university campus opposite the library?
    There were many a time I saw some good films there :)

To be more accurate it was Hanley we used to use - the multi-screen on Festival Park. Still "Up Stokoe, duck"

oh gosh. my Hanley days... *dreams*

last film... hmm... earlier i put on Disney's Dinosaur just to remind myself what on earth it was all about, besides dinosaurs. lasted half an hour.
  • We went to see The Maze Runner the other night. Entertaining yes...(the popcorn was good)..but totally predictable. I was disappointed that the "scary Grievers" turned out to be squidgy oozey mechanical spiders ......again......zzzzz and the ending was lame (nice run up to the sequel £££££). It was just nice to have an evening off and go to the cinema.

Last night we watched Enduring Love, the Daniel Craig film based on the Ian McEwan novel. I hadn't read the novel, but I found it such a disappointing story. The acting was great, but I thought I had the plot figured out from the beginning and I turned out to be totally wrong...but my version would've been so much more original (if I do say so myself phnarr phnarr!). 

• Watched an encore presentation of National Theater Live's Frankenstein last night- outstanding. I don't even know when it was originally presented but dayum..Johnny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch, incredible to watch. :-bd
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Next filming going to watch.
    Saturday night is looking interesting !

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • ^ I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.  Opinion seems very divided on the film.
  • Hi Pet
    Sucker Punch now watched. I can see why it gets such bipolar reviews. It is not a straight forward film with a understandable plot to follow. If the viewer is not paying full attention, or finds it difficult to follow what is going on, then it would be easy just to dismiss it and say it's no good.
    Without giving too much of a plot spoiler, it involves a young girl, (baby doll) who is committed by her stepfather to an old fashioned style mental asylum. ( a nice in joke as the asylum is called Lennox House, and the music playing over the committal scene is Sweet Dreams are made of this by the Eurythmics). Here she meets the chief orderly, the Dr who runs the asylum and 4 other female inmates. In the film, baby doll fantasises that the asylum is actually a seedy nightclub, with the chief orderly as the club owner, the Dr as a woman who runs the troupe of dancers at the club and herself and the 4 other inmates as the dancers.
    Baby doll discovers that when she dances, that she enters a world of fantasy ( so a fantasy within her fantasy) where she and the 4 others become involved in some extreme fight scenes where they battle giant Japanese feudal warriors ( see earlier post from me), trench warfare fighting reanimated German soldiers, a fire breathing dragon, medieval knights and a train full of robots with a bomb on board. All these scenes are a device for the girls to obtain 5 items with which they can affect an escape from the asylum.
    You see now why some viewers may find it hard to follow what is going on. However, you can just go with it as it is beautifully filmed (a film directed by Zack Snyder who made 300), has great action sequences with some unbelievable effects, and excellent music.
    Also, the female leads are very fit, and in the action sequences, seem to wear quite sparse costumes, no doubt so as not to impede their movement. Baby doll in particular does all her action scenes in a gym slip !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-11-02 18:29:50
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • ^ Yes, I can see that could be confusing.  One would need either to be very alert, or prepared to watch it as a WTF spectacle.  The gymslip was originally designed as female sportswear (hence the name) so it should be well adapted to physical action/exertion.

I'm left wondering whether or not I should add my film to my collection of such things.  Perhaps I should add it to my Amazon wish list, as a reminder that I'm considering it.
  • Saw "Fury" the other day , excellent . On a vapid note , I wish I had enough hair to achieve the haircut that Brad has in the film . Anyway , most enjoyable film , bleak , but enjoyable . 
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • It is not a straight forward film with a understandable plot to follow. If the viewer is not paying full attention, or finds it difficult to follow what is going on, then it would be easy just to dismiss it and say it's no good.

Yeah but it is this way because the filmmakers couldn't balance action and storytelling, they could only do one or the other, so you'd have 20 minutes of story then 20 minutes of action which got boring. It was poorly structured and the plot ultimately wasn't that solid in my opinion, that's why it got bad reviews. If they could have kept telling the story when the action sequences picked up instead of hitting the pause button in favor of a glorified music video then it would have favored much better, and been half the length.
  • I watched "Björk- Biophlilia" last night at the theater. There was a Tesla Coil used as an instrument! I just love her spirit and creativity sooo much! I feel as if she's my sista from anotha mista. She ended with "Sacrifice" :x
    U R I E L
  • I know this is old news~ but these instruments are fucking genius~

U R I E L
  • Next filming going to watch.

Saturday night is looking interesting !

I decided to buy that Triple Play edition because it's quite cheaply available on Amazon just now (£7.81, with free delivery if bought with another item I wanted).  For two Blu-ray discs plus a DVD, that seems remarkably inexpensive.  Perhaps the price has been cut because the DVD includes a link to a digital download copy the availability of which apparently expired on 7th August 2012.  I'm not sure why anyone who has the film on Blu-ray and DVD would also wish to download it.  My Triple Play edition arrived this morning.
  • ^ Oh, and one other thing about my ordering the Sucker Punch triple edition -- although I opted for free super saver delivery, it arrived less than 48 hours after I placed my order.  Crumbs!
  • Apart from some classic Hollywood comedy (Topper [1937] and Helzapoppin [1941]), I've also recently watched this.  "Innocence" is a weird film that would almost certainly appeal to some of the people on here.  It starts with a new girl arriving at a boarding school in a coffin (don't worry, she's fine).  The film is visually stunning.  Apparently, the Independent on Sunday said of it: "Bunuel meets Angela Carter meets Enid Blyton".  That seems to me a fair comment although, of those three, the element of Blyton is the least noticeable.

You may notice from image below that it has a 15 certificate in the UK, but only a 12 in Ireland.  I'm always interested to note such discrepancies.

watched this.image
    Post edited by Pet at 2014-11-05 07:57:40

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!