Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 57 Comments sorted by
  • Never mind Blu Rays. What about the birth of music video, the good old VHS tape? I still have a number of these; some of which have never been released on DVD, let alone Blu Ray.
    For anyone interested, the list is below.
    VHS ( these were video tapes kids that you had to rewind ! )
    Adam and the Ants - Hits
    Blondie - The Best of
    Bowie - The Video Collection
    Eurythmics - Greatest Hits
    Kate Bush - The Singles Files (never released on DVD).
    Madonna - In bed with Madonna
    - Justify my Love
    Police - Every Breath You Take (videos)
    Queen - We Will Rock You
    - Box of Flix ( combination of Greatest Flix I & II - never released on DVD )
    The Mission - From Dusk to Dawn
    Toyah - Toyah, Toyah, Toyah
    - Live at the Rainbow
    - Good Morning Universe
    Top of the Pops - BBC video 3023 ( from 1982 with, you guessed it, Toyah on it)
    Urgh, A Music War ( never released on DVD with many punk and new wave bands in concert including Toyah - give that man a prize !)

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-10-20 16:17:35
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • DVD's
    Amy Winehouse - Back to Black & Frank deluxe DVD box set
    - Live in London. I told you I was trouble
    Bowie - Best of
    Goldfrapp - Wonderful Electric
    - + many videos and bits from DVD singles and deluxe albums
    Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin live at Royal Albert Hall 1970 and Madison Square Garden 1973
    Madonna - Music
    - The Ultimate Collection
    Muse - Absolution Tour Glastonbury 2004
    - HAARP live at Wembley stadium 2007
    Pink Floyd - The making of Dark Side of the Moon
    Scissor Sisters - We are the Scissor Sisters, and so are you
    Siouxsie and the Banshees - Best of (videos)
    U2 - Best of 1990 - 2000
    - 18, Singles
    - 18, Vertigo Tour Live from Milan in presentation pack
    - Rattle & Hum
    - Elevation 2001, Live in Boston
    - 360 degree tour Live at the Rose Bowl
    Various Artists - Rewind, 32 of the best music videos ever

Blu Ray
    Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day
    Muse - Live at the Rome Olympic Stadium
    -

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-10-21 15:06:27
  • ^ You still have VHS tapes?  Crumbs!  I got rid of all of mine years ago.  Long after the tapes were gone, I put my VCR on the front wall, and someone was kind enough to take it.

We have some DVDs in common, but I'm aghast at your Blu-ray discs.  Both Muse and Led Zeppelin are abominations, as far as I'm concerned.  There's music which, while I don't like it myself, I can understand why other people might like it.  But both Muse and Led Zeppelin are bands I can't understand anyone linking.
  • Here's a picture of Katzenjammer discs.  Their two albums, the live CD/DVD and the Blu-ray disc.

• I have to say Pet, that is very opinionated of you. I have no idea who Katzenjammer are; I doubt they are for me, but I respect your preferences and if you like them, then that's fine by me.
    U2 are an odd band. My favourite of their's is The Joshua Tree. The best album they ever did, in my opinion, and not a coincidence that it comes from a time before Bono started believing his own hype and disappeared up his own arse. They do put on a good show though, and I have seen them 4 times now, twice in the UK, once in France and once in the USA. Mrs T has seen them one extra time. She saw them at the Ipswich Gaumont in 1980 when they were hardly known by anyone on their first tour to support the Boy album.
    Muse are a very good band. Accomplished musicians and a scale to their music and changes of pace which is refreshing for an out and out rock band. Also, a nice paranoia stance and railing against the establishment to a lot of Matt Bellamy's lyrics which I like. We have seen them 7 times from memory.
    Just to compound your disapproval, we set up a whole holiday in the USA a couple of years ago to see U2 at the Giants stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The support that night was.....Muse !
    Double Bubble !
    Rock is still very much part of my music psyche from my early days; I temper it with Goldfrapp to make a beautiful musical alloy of my own liking.
    That's my justification for liking these two. Hopefully, you can now find peace with that.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-10-21 14:55:12
  • Also Pet, if you read my original post again, quite a lot of those VHS tapes have never been released on DVD, such as The Singles File by Kate Bush and Queen's Box of Flix.
    I have downloaded many of them to my own DVDs but they remain collectors items as it is the only way to buy them if you want them. The Kate Bush one pops up on EBay every now and then.
  • Never saw Led Zeppelin but I do have a small claim to fame (fans of the BBC 6 Music breakfast show will understand) with a connection to John Bonham.
    Dazed and Confused is a mighty piece of music. Also have a SCTF, along either Appy, to Jimmy Page!
  • I just said that I didn't like Led Zeppelin or Muse.  (And I don't.)  Crumbs!

As to VHS tapes, I bought a DVD recorder and recorded the stuff I couldn't locate on disc.  Actually, there were only two VHS music tapes I had that I couldn't find on DVD... and, I might as well have not bothered recording them because they were released on DVD eventually.  But I never had the tapes you list as never released on disc.  I have noticed that very little of Kate Bush seems to have appeared on DVD.  I do have a few of her videos on compilation DVDs -- The Man With the Child in His Eyes, Army Dreamers and Cloudbusting. -- but my collection of Kate Bush watchables is unimpressive.
  • No problem Pet. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, (even when they are wrong, as Appy constantly reminds me). After all, how else would One Direction get an audience ! I would imagine there are people out there who do not like Goldfrapp. Fools !
    The Singles File is the only visual from Kate Bush I have, although I did download and keep the recent hour long montage of Kate at the BBC.
    Surprising how soft the picture is from a VHS tape now we are all used to the crisp digital image we get from HD TV's.
  • I wonder whether the picture on a VHS tape grows softer as the tape grows older.  Be careful with any tapes you value.  Once, while handling a a VHS cassette, my thumb slipped and brushed the tape itself.  Doing that obliterated a few seconds of the content.
  • Not Blu-rays, but here are two of my DVDs that include a Kate Bush video apiece.

The Greatest Eighties comprises 18 music videos.  The Kate Bush one is 'Army Dreamers'.  Other videos featured include Katrina & the Waves 'Walking on Sunshine', Kim Wilde 'View from a Bridge' and Mel & Kim 'Respectable'.

The Rewind DVD/CDs comprises a 15 song CD and a 17 song one.  The DVD includes the videos for all 32 of the songs on the CDs.  The Kate Bush song is 'Cloudbursting'.  Amongst the more notable videos is Dire Straits 'Money for Nothing'.

These compilations always seem to include things that any sane person would skip, but they also have some great material that's hard to find anywhere else.

• Cloudbursting...? :-?

I noticed that I forgot a couple of DVDs in the list:

Leonard Cohen - Live In London
    David Bowie - A Reality Tour
    Nirvana - MTV Unplugged In New York
    Pulp - Ultimate Live
    Morrissey - Who Put The 'M' In Manchester?
    Kashmir - The Aftermath
    Death Cab For Cutie - Live at the Mount Baker Theatre
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • I have that Rewind the 80's combined Cd and DVD Dreeke if you look at my list. I agree it is the usual compilation mixture of real gems and germs !
  • I think you're confusing me with Pet... ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Whoops!  I should, of course, have written 'Cloudbusting'.

I agree entirely that compilation DVDs are usually a mixture of gems and germs (an apt phrase, a bon mot).  There's also quite a lot duplication between the various compilations.  A while back, I got rid of quite a lot of these DVDs, retaining only those that included a gem that was difficult to find elsewhere.

Anyway, here are my other two compilations with a Kate Bush song.  In both cases, these include "The Man With the Child in His Eyes".

Each of these contains at least one gem I've been unable to locate elsewhere.  "Greatest Hits of the 70's" has Dr Feelgood's "Milk and Alcohol".  "The Greatest Hits" has Kim Wilde's "Kids in America".  In my view, "Kids in America" is amongst the very best pop songs of the 1980s.  I'd expect to have the video for the song on more than one compilation DVD -- but I don't.  Weird!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!