Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
David Bowie
  • http://www.davidbowie.com/news/diamond-dogs-40th-anniversary-special-uncut-52951

40 years since Diamond Dogs. I'm doing a Bowie album chronology at the moment and that's yet to come. I have never understood why some of Bowie fans never liked Diamond Dogs. Surely one of the Bowie greats, I've always thought so anyway. It's also obviously an album that means a lot to someone else around here too ;)

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-08-04 15:51:57
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • Oh bollocks... I'd written a paragraph or so and then Firefox crashed. And the stupid forum didn't auto-save a draft.

Anyway... yes, the title track gave rise to my user-name here, if anyone is interested (or even if not). And yes, it's a much underrated album IMHO :-)
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-03-12 16:00:10
  • Totally under rated in my opinion. I used to see D D as Bowie still in the glam period, probably because of the album artwork, I would still argue 'Rebel Rebel' as a glam rock classic, like marking some kind of death of glam.

I've  taken in Bowie's first four studio albums in the last 24 hours, hopefully the next 24 hours will allow the next four of his albums, and DD is in that lot.

I'm really taken by how great an album the debut David Bowie is, only a recent acquisition, and it's just so off the wall and surreal, one of my favorite Bowie albums for sure. I am curious to track down Bowie's pre solo recordings too now ;)

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-03-12 16:07:27
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Oh, the first album is indeed a fascinating gem.

Amazing that a 19-year old could write something like 'Rubber band'. And 'Silly boy blue'. And 'Uncle Arthur'... etc

I only realised recently that one song (Little bombardier) is about a man thought to be a paedophile!
  • Yes that appears well documented H_J, it's mentioned in the sleeve notes of the two disc version of David Bowie, lovely little package that is too.

I wonder how long we'll be waiting for the follow up to the next day eh.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • I totally agree with you, Border_Mind and Halloween_Jack. It's a damn shame I wasn't born 10-15 years earlier. It feels like I've been missing out on all the fun when it comes to Bowie. Still, I too am wondering if there will be a next next day. Fingers crossed then...
  • First play today (BBC 6 Music), of new Bowie song, 'Sue'.

Well, he can't be accused of resting on his laurels. Recent converts and fans of 'The next day' may shake their ears in disbelief.

The nearest relative within the DB family is probably 'A small plot of land' from Outside. And a similar vocal style to the Baal EP songs. Can't say it quite works for me (but I've only listened twice). I do love the break in the middle, and his lead-up refrain (can hardly call it the chorus) to that. Oh, and there's a big ol' orchestra backing him, which I'll perhaps be able to appreciate later when I listen with headphones.

I'd give it 10/10 for audacity. I wouldn't call it a classic Bowie piece, but it's too new to say for sure.

Oh, and I'm dreading j**z-hater @Sartori coming across this! :-( ;-)
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-10-12 11:49:41

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!