Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Head First... best to worst...
  • Seeing as HF has been quite a hot topic I'm curious.... Tell me how you rate Head First in terms of favourite to least favourite track....
    I'll start

1. Hunt
    2. Dreaming
    3.Alive
    4. Rocket
    5. Voicething
    6. Head First
    7. Shiny and Warm
    8. I Wanna Life
    9.Believer
  • 74 Comments sorted by
  • the track HEAD FIRST is so unbelievably gorgeous......
  • Its an overcast and rainy day and I woke up late, in a foul mood. Grabbed my headphones and decided I needed something up. Head First is actually a really great album for what it is...turned my mood right around. Maybe it is "a bit too on the nose" but its got some great song writing and those synths just force my hands into the air.

I am still very much of the Felt Mountain, Tales Of Us and Seventh Tree club but I love Head First for what it is and sometimes the mood calls for it.

• 1. Believer
    1. Shiny & Warm
    1. I Wanna Life
    1. Alive

The rest is kind of meh.

Edit: I agree, 'shite' was too harsh. Sorry.
    Post edited by Alan at 2013-06-15 16:50:17
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • 1. Believer
    2. Alive
    3. Head First
    4. Shiny and Warm
    5. Voicething
    6. Hunt

Others don't register because really don't like. The live version of Dreaming with Davide Rossi's violin solo at the end is pretty amazing though.
  • 1. Hunt
    2. Dreaming
    3.Shiny and Warm
    4. Voicething
    5. We Radiate (it may as well be there)
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • chokka said:

Seeing as HF has been quite a hot topic I'm curious.... Tell me how you rate Head First in terms of favourite to least favourite track....
    I'll start

1. Hunt
    2. Dreaming
    3.Alive
    4. Rocket
    5. Voicething
    6. Head First
    7. Shiny and Warm
    8. I Wanna Life
    9.Believer

1. Voice Thing
    2. Hunt
    3. Dreaming
    4. Really sorry Beliver (yes I like that one too)
    5. Rocket (ditto)
    6. I wanna life
    7. Shiny and Warm
    8. Alive
    9. Head First
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Hunt
    I Wanna Life
    Head First
    Shiny And Warm
    Dreaming
    Voicething
    We Radiate
    Rocket
    Believer
    Alive.... (what were they thinking on that one?)

1. Dreaming
    2. Head First
    3. Believer
    4. Rocket
    5. Hunt
    6. I Wanna Life
    7. Alive
    8. We Radiate
    9. Shiny & Warm
    10. Voicething
  • It's sort of funny for me.  Although Head First isn't my favorite Goldfrapp album, and indeed Alison herself is not satisfied with it, I still love it.  I was waiting for them to put out an album like Head First ever since I heard Black Cherry.  It may be sort of strange to say, but I had for years been calling Goldfrapp:  "What the 80s wished it was."  So I was terribly amused when they put out an album that sounded so blatantly like a glossed up 80s album.  I suppose that's why it was still so much fun for me rather than being a blatant disappointment.

1. Believer
    2. Dreaming
    3. Voicething (A straight up Steve Reich tribute.  Check out a Steve Reich track:  
    )
    4. Alive (For the music video alone.  Anyone who wanted to talk about sparkly vampires got it wrong til then.)
    5. Shiny and Warm
    6. Hunt (For some reason, I always associate this with the feel I get listening to Massive Attack (feat. Tracy Thorn)'s melodramatic version of "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game.")
    7. Rocket
    8. Head First
    9. I Wanna Life

This ranking may change a bit by day and depending on my mood, but I really don't dislike any of the songs on Head First.  I still feel like that's strange to say because I was never a terribly big fan of 80s pop.  hah
  • I love Rocket! Rest was a bit of a let down.

Not pop enough! ;-)
  • Ha! Very varied opinions!

For me:

1. Hunt
    2. Dreaming
    3. Head first
    4. Voicething
    5. (Don't like the others much at all)
  • Dreaming
    Hunt
    Voicething
    Believer
    Alive
    Rocket
    Head First
    Shiny And Warm
    I Wanna Life

Dreaming, Hunt and Voicething being the only really creative, standout tracks. The rest is pop. Some nice, (Believer, Alive, Rocket, Head First) some not so nice. (I'm lookin' at you Shiny And Warm and I Wanna Life.)

Also if I were to include We Radiate, it would be higher than most of the album tracks.
    Post edited by Low at 2013-06-14 19:09:52

• The very good ones -
    Hunt
    Dreaming
    Shiny And Warm
    Believer

The one that just doesn't fit but is good as an unfinished idea -
    Voicething

The ones that are good pop but poor Goldfrapp tracks that drag the whole album down as a Goldfrapp release thus forcing me into such a long and unwieldy lowest section title -
    I Wanna Live
    Alive
    Head First
    Rocket.

The first four are in my favourite Goldfrapp tracks. I actually play them quite often. Stick them in a shuffled playlist with their other albums and they hold their ground very well. The rest. No. Just not Goldfrapp, however good they are as exercises in catchy pop.
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-06-14 19:11:09
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • silkysun said:

It may be sort of strange to say, but I had for years been calling Goldfrapp:  "What the 80s wished it was."  So I was terribly amused when they put out an album that sounded so blatantly like a glossed up 80s album.

Good interesting reflections all around folks, particularly enjoyed this one

would you believe I'm listening to Believer now on the headphones, it just came up on random, like Carpathian I enjoy shuffled playlists, except this was rather all songs on random ;)

That 'dreaming...' bit is just divine beautiful, might have to stick it on again ;)
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
    1. HEAD FIRST (the best ABBA song never written)
    2. DREAMING
    3. SHINY AND WARM
    4. ALIVE
    5. HUNT
    6. VOICETHING
    7. BELIEVER
    8. I WANNA LIFE
    9. ROCKET

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!