Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Kate Bush - Before the Dawn - WARNING - CONCERT SPOILERS!
  • 34 Comments sorted by
  • There's a pretty detailed song-by-song breakdown on another forum if you'd like to spoil yourself rotten (a mistype in that phrase could have been bad...)
  • I was tidying up in the studio today making some space for some equipment changes and had to move a pile of books that had some sheet music and song books in it.  I found some stuff that I forgot I had, the oldest being the song book from 1973 of Black Sabbath Vol 4.  Of note for this thread, I found a song book titled 'The Best of Kate Bush' which dates from 1981 and contains 13 songs from the first 3 albums ( a shame the current concert series does not).  As well as full lyrics, the book has the score of Vocal, Piano and Bass. It was an interesting read after so many years, and some early photographs.  This is the back cover showing the songs inside.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-06 19:38:13
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • One of the good things to come out of Kate's reappearance on the scene is to hear her again on the radio. I heard 3 tracks in 24 hours across a couple of BBC stations with Marc Riley playing 'The Man With The Child In a His Eyes' on Thursday night. I had to stop what I was doing and just listen to it, as it is such a superb piece of work. The emotion in Kate's voice, and the lyrical content is astounding and conveys the thinly concealed metaphor of a young girls sexual awakening with great skill. As I have said before, the fact that this original conceit was formed in the mind of a 13 year old is quite astonishing.
    This is why I find the exclusion of music from the earlier albums disappointing in the current concerts. She has such a great legacy, it is a shame not to play some of it.
  • Here's a live video of the song.  I particularly like the extra bar she inserts immediatley before the bridge; it just makes the performance more...'live'.

• And another favourite on thousand of boys walls at the time. Probably what I dreamed about when I turned the light off, and turned over  :x

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-20 14:50:44
  • ^ Holy shit, is that peacock feathers and a black dildo sticking out from her belt?!?! I really did think Alison was the first to do that! You learn something new everyday :D

Anywho, I remember when I first heard "Running Up That Hill" (Deal with God). I used to think it was about someone who broke their leg and prayed to be able to run again- but hey, I was young. This is what it's actually about...which is faaaaarrrr more interesting-

The song itself has often been misinterpreted. Bush herself has said,

"I was trying to say that, really, a man and a woman, can't understand each other because we are a man and a woman. And if we could actually swap each other's roles, if we could actually be in each other's place for a while, I think we'd both be very surprised! [Laughs] And I think it would lead to a greater understanding. And really the only way I could think it could be done was either... you know, I thought a deal with the devil, you know. And I thought, 'well, no, why not a deal with God!' You know, because in a way it's so much more powerful the whole idea of asking God to make a deal with you. You see, for me it is still called "Deal With God", that was its title. But we were told that if we kept this title that it would not be played in any of the religious countries, Italy wouldn't play it, France wouldn't play it, and Australia wouldn't play it! Ireland wouldn't play it, and that generally we might get it blacked purely because it had God in the title."
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I've never heard it interpreted any other way. Lyrically, though, the song is a little more universal than that, especially today, when gender roles and identities are metamorphosing before our eyes. Besides the use of the words 'baby' and 'darling,' there's nothing even to limit the relationship to that of lovers. Because of its intensity, its accessibility, and its universality, it really is the quintessential pop song.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Yes, thankgod things are changing. To be honest, I've never seen this video before- such incredible expression...just through dance- I love her.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • What?! Never?

Mostly dance, but also costume, cinematography, etc.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I was pleased to find this !
    I'm sure most of you know that the opening spoken lines from Kate's song Hounds of Love are taken from the 1957 British horror film 'Night of the Demon' (Curse of the Demon in the USA).  It also inspired her in parts on 'The Red Shoes', and her short film 'The Line, the Cross and the Curve'.  The film is a great psychological thriller/horror based on the MR James story 'Casting the Runes'. It's a great film which breaks the golden rule of never showing the monster.  Well worth a watch.
    Anyway, someone inspired soul did a homage mash-up on YouTube a few years ago.
    I give you Kate Bush in Night of the Demon (Hounds of Love).  Sweet !

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-20 14:16:34
  • I went on Friday night with ping, Drew, Big Bird, Laura, Halloween Jack, DC Baxter & a couple of others (who weren't Alison & Lisa!) and it's fair to say it was a highly emotional experience.

Fortunately, I'd managed to avoid most of the spoilers. I knew she wasn't going to play anything from the first 4 albums and didn't mind too much. In the end, she didn't play many of my favourites from the later albums (This Woman's Work; The Sensual World; Moments of Pleasure; Pi etc) and it was only with 'Among Angels' did we get a moment where she just sat alone at the piano and sang for us. So a little disappointing in that respect but that's easily overshadowed by what we did experience.

At first, it was almost overwhelming just to come to terms with the fact that she's here, almost in front of me (my group was in the middle of the 8th row in the circle), finally, after all these years. Once I'd got that feeling behind me, I was able to savour the impact of the songs and the staging. It was 'Top of the City' that first got the tears going, as the richness of her voice & the sentiments shone through. Following that with 'Running Up That Hill' and 'King of the Mountain' was just sublime.

What came next will rank amongst the best things I've ever seen in a concert hall or theatre. Musically and theatrically, 'The Ninth Wave' was a tour de force. Bold, imaginative and breathtakingly realised, it was wholly absorbing and hugely affecting. I can't imagine how it will come across on a DVD - it would need to be shot in 3D to do justice to it.

I must admit that 'A Sky of Honey' didn't have the same impact. It doesn't have the same coherent narrative for one thing but was still engaging & the likes of 'Aerial' still has the power to move.

'Cloudbursting' was a suitably joyous way to end the set, though, and I was hoping that the rapturous reception might encourage her to play one more song. It wasn't to be, of course, but she was clearly taken with the outpouring of love & goodwill. I'd like to think that will encourage her to do more shows one day. If not, at least I'll have Friday's show as a cherished memory.
  • Glad everybody had a good time seeing Kate. Enjoyed the reviews and any pictures people managed to get. Gutted I couldn't go but monies, travel and not being able to get time off from work put a hold on that. At least my ticket could go to a fellow Frapper to enjoy thanks to the kindness of another Frapper. Cheers pal :)
  • You were missed, Helen. :-) But it was the sort of show that will work very well on disc... so we should all be able to experience it (again) soon.

I would sell my grandmother's soul for said item...
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-09-23 04:05:57
  • ^
    Yes I shall certainly get the DVD if one is released - which looks pretty possible!
    I missed you guys too but its just one of those things. Definitely be at RAH for the Frapp of course 
    :D
  • Even though I am not going to one of the concerts, this sequence of events has reawakened my love as Kate as artist.  Today, another long drive to a site, so I plugged the Ipod in and listened to a few things; ending up with Never For Ever.  This is my favourite Kate album and one I have listened to many, many times since its release in 1980.  I got to 'Infant Kiss' and remembered why I love this album so much.  The words and concepts of this song are so sublime I kept clicking back to the start and must have listened to it 5 or 6 times in a row.  I love the way it flows into 'Night Scented Stock' with the sustain on the cellos, and then how this runs into 'Army Dreamers' with the cocking riflle sound ( good old Fairlight) and finally running into 'Breathing' with its call and response vocals at the end, as pointed out by Natasha Khan in the recent BBC documentary on Kate.
    I must do a Kate Bush top 10.  Here is one from an American blogger called Popped Density to be going on with. http://poppeddensity.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/top-10-kate-bush-songs.html

Hi on my list will be Infant Kiss. Kate was influenced in the writing of this song by the film 'The Innocents' from 1961, which, in turn, was based on the book 'The Turn of the Screw' by Henry James.
    Here is a fan video with the song lovingly cut to scene from the film.

Keep up the good work you people who make these fan vids. Your dedication is appreciated !
    That's Peter Wyngarde in the locket photo btw. Later to become Jason King from Dept. S.  Hirsute ladies man!

All my barriers are going.

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-25 19:45:56

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!