Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Head First... best to worst...
  • 74 Comments sorted by
  • Here's my four-pennoth, for the record! I love this album, I find it impossible to pick a favourite album because they're all so different. It's a bit like trying to judge Crufts (I imagine ) - how do you compare a chihuahua with a doberman etc. Head First got me through some rough times when I needed a pick-me-up and I still play it incessantly when I want to sing to the air freshener in my car. In order for me:
    Hunt
    Believer
    Head First
    Dreaming
    I Wanna Life
    Rocket
    Shiny and Warm
    Alive
    Voicething
    The album is such a contrast to Tales of Us, I can't wait to hear what their next departure will be. That's the best thing about following such a creative band. Well this was a nice little lunch-break activity!
  • Is it odd that after all this time, I consider Head First to be kind of... interesting?
    I mean, musically I suppose it's their least interesting. It feels practically forgotten about. I just think it strange that it's become the "black sheep" so to speak of Goldfrapp's discography. Every time I listen to it now (which really isn't that often if I'm honest) I can't stop thinking about how rushed they were when making it, how Alison even claims to dislike it, yet at the same time, it's better than what some artists make. Even when they're stuck for time, Goldfrapp can still make songs of high quality, like Dreaming and Hunt. In that aspect, I find it interesting.
    Just thought I'd share all that :D Perhaps I have too much time on my hands lol

• Think the set lists at the recent shows prove Alison really does not look back at the HF era with any fondness. I am not trying to prove i am the biggest and best Frapper by saying this, But i just do not think the tracks are that bad. Far from it in fact. Different from the others. Yes. Of course. I play the album loads.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • I agree with you @Low ! You just have to be in the right mood for HF.
    That being said, I must confess that I am starting to like "We Radiate" more and more....
    Post edited by Jeronimooo at 2014-04-15 12:29:38
  • I am a Felt Mountain baby all the way...it was my first Goldfrapp album and is still my favorite all these years later. That being said I have a special place for all their albums (Supernature is my least played)...Head First gets tons of play in the springtime (now, yay!)...it is just so bubbly, bright and up. I love singing along at the top of my lungs.

Believer
    Shiny And Warm
    Alive
    Hunt
    (We Radiate)
    I Wanna Life
    Head First
    Dreaming
    Rocket
    Voicething

But I really enjoy all of them.

Shiny And Warm makes me think of Satin Chic (which is my second fave Supernature track after Time Out From The World).
    Post edited by hunter at 2014-04-15 16:58:26
  • No no no, it has no merit compared to the rest of their output. Kidding yourselves to think otherwise.

End of in my book.

BTW Koko is the standout track for me on Supernature.

Tedx
  • I wouldn't say it has no merit. Some of the songs stand very well on their own.

• OK, so I played Head First today and skipped "Rocket." Needless to say, I felt a little tinge of guilt as I clicked the right arrows on Windows Media Player.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • In my opinion, although "Alive" is fun somewhat, it's the only minor misstep on an otherwise perfect and flawless album. "We Radiate" is much more interesting of a track.

It was really a great era including the "Judas" remix and "Sex Exciter".
  • 1. Believer (I think this is Supernature quality)
    2. Head First
    3. Hunt
    4. Dreaming (sometimes it feels like it's too long at the end)
    5. Alive
    6. Shiny and Warm
    7. Voicething
    8. Rocket
    9. I Wanna Life
    Post edited by silverjet at 2014-09-22 15:17:50

• stevil said:

the track HEAD FIRST is so unbelievably gorgeous......

Agree! One of their bests in my opinion. It could be equal with Believer.

• Voicething is Sheer Genius..my fave off HF. What a gorgeous clip someone added too-
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-10-14 20:43:34
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • This is the only Frapp album where I'm stuck when it comes to a ranking order - mainly because I have little connection with the album as a whole. I do have softspots for Voicething (such an interesting composition) and the title track. I could never get on board with Rocket, I tried to!

1 Head First
    2 Alive
    3 Believer
    4 Voicething
    5 Hunt
    6 I Wanna Life 
    Dreaming
    8 Shiny and Warm
    9 Rocket

• Alive
    Shiny and Warm
    Head First
    Rocket
    Believer
    Dreaming
    Voicething
    I Wanna Life
    Hunt
    We Radiate
    Post edited by Glitterizer at 2015-10-07 18:54:25

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!