Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Royal Albert Hall - 18 Nov 2014
  • 497 Comments sorted by
  • Or what the boys in the backroom would have!

Actually ... now I think about it ... yeah I'd trade all that for Dietrich the Imperial Violinist of the Second Viennese School.

Don't mind me, just geeking out, nothing to see here

If I may geek out, too, perhaps Dietrich wouldn't have been a very good violinist.  She was a woman of extraordinary, but very limited, talents.  She made about ten films that are worth watching and a much larger number that are not.  (I could list the ten, but perhaps that would be too geekish.)  As a singer... I once had a CD of her songs, but it wasn't something to which I ever wished to listen in its entirety.  A song or two is sufficient.  Her best songs are all embedded in films and, I think, are most enjoyable when heard/seen in context.  Amongst her well remembered songs is Lili Marlen (to take its original spelling) of which she made (in my opinion) a dog's breakfast.  Lale Andersen's original version of the song is deeply moving and (again in my opinion) belongs in anyone's record collection. Dietrich's would have been better not made.  I could discuss Lili Marlen at length, but suffice it to say that the subject matter of the lyrics is not as most people seem to assume.

If we are to continue this discussion, perhaps it should be on a Marlene Dietrich thread.
    Post edited by Pet at 2014-09-04 05:08:28
  • The GMB is well-known for having threads drift off-topic :-)

Wikipedia tells me that song has been known as "Lili Marleen", "Lili Marlene", "Lily Marlene" and "Lili Marlène". So "Lili Marlen" can be added to the list?

What does the Lola Lola comment refer to? I googled, but it only came up with the Kinks song and Gina Lollobrigida...
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-09-04 06:47:50
  • I think that Lili Marlen is the correct original spelling.  The lyric dates back to the First World war and, I believe, took the names of two real girls called Lili and Marlen who waited by the gates to some barracks for their sweethearts who had the happiness (or otherwise) to be conscripted into the German army.

Lola-Lola is Marlene Dietrich's character in The Blue Angel (1930).  She is a cabaret singer in the Blue Angel nightclub whose costumes include the iconic one with top hat, stockings and bare thighs.  This is the edition I have:

• Ah, ok. As LuDux suggested, that clip sounds very Roisin-y, but I'll be sure to check out her own/solo stuff. Dreeke mentioned an album...

Her own stuff is a bit more like Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man.
    Less experimental but in the same veign.

Here's a live thingy from a gig at Union Chapel:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Ah, ok. As LuDux suggested, that clip sounds very Roisin-y, but I'll be sure to check out her own/solo stuff. Dreeke mentioned an album...

I meant that video is kinda similar to Fun For Me, not that music is similar
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • ^ Oh,  OK... just me then. LOL Well, *something* reminded me of RM. The phrasing, I think.
  • Pet said:

If I may geek out, too, perhaps Dietrich wouldn't have been a very good violinist. 

In all fairness to her, singing /acting was about her third choice of career. Personally I like to imagine hearing the air of another planet had she been able to continue her preferred career.

ETA She'd have been The Queen of All Cleaners though, by all accounts.

ETA 2 oh dear lord, please let Mara Carlyle take up the musical saw in earnest instead.
    Post edited by wild_corgi at 2014-09-05 13:31:58
  • Aaaaaah, can't believe it. I'll be there!! I've been working too much during the last months (reason for not being around here lately). So I felt like buying the tickets spontaneously today as a reward and will do a 
    little 2-day-trip visiting my loved one and my beloved LDN! Really, really looking forward. :)

Hopefully going to meet some of you guys there as well finally!
    2nd Tier, Box 38 for me.
    Post edited by HolyOwl at 2014-10-06 09:52:30
    Be patient.
  • ^ that's great news HO! :)
  • Just a heads-up that there are some good seats (still) available:

Stalls (row 3) £45
    Grand Tier £55

These are mostly in pairs (ie 2 seats next to each other).
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-10-08 15:41:51
  • btw... shot gun not doing the seating allocations on the seating plan for this one haha. 

LOL. Not to worry, Sally... I've done one. Have put it in a separate thread. And locked it... otherwise - if/when loads of posts are added... it's sometimes hard to get back to the first one.

Oh, some people have mentioned their section/row but not their actual seat number(s). If you don't mind people knowing.. please state it in this thread and I'll add you to the plan-pic. :-)

@ping, are you going? @A_is_A - might you be hopping over the pond again? :-)
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-10-09 19:04:39
  • please add me HJ: stalls, Block O , Row 5 , Seat 128
  • Royal Albert Hall!  Good Lord!  The setting just seems perfect for Goldfrapp.  I'm drooling, drooling, drooling!  Y'all have a great time!  This has gotta be the best on record.
  • You're not wrong WW! It's a sumptuous venue. As I mentioned on Twitter, we shall feel like the royal deer.
    When I saw Goldfrapp there in 2008, Alison mentioned how she felt humbled by the place.

@Giancarlo - have now added you to the plan. :-)
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-10-08 20:09:56

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!