Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Kate Bush demos
  •  Came across a folder of Kate Bush demos this afternoon whilst clearing up my hard drive from a billion years ago . Anywhat , I`ve mp3ed them and uploaded them as zipfiles . Got them from Dime originally I believe , for those Hammersmithing in September or er...not like me . I have another Kate demo cd in the loft somewhere from The Red Shoe era , but haven`t seen that in ages . (I would have kept them as flacs but I haven`t got the space for that or bandwidth) . I`ve tagged them etc - they`re not a `hi-fi` experience imo , something to have on whilst gardening (euphemism or otherwise) .  

Post edited by Sartori at 2014-08-09 12:38:44
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • 12 Comments sorted by
  • Parts of Info file within Zipfile 

Kate Bush
    Alone At My Piano (Ukinel Records NY 1988) 

modestly remastered & expanded
    The 22 demos which Kate Bush recorded all by herself & her piano in November of 1976 can be found, as a whole or in part, on a number of bootleg CDs. The most common ones are "Cathy's Home Demos", "Practice Makes Perfect (Piano Demos No 1)", "If You Could See Me Fly", and "Passing Through Air". The order of the songs varies across those discs, the pauses between songs have been edited out and all of those bootlegs appear to be taken from a vinyl source. The sole exception that I know of is "Alone At My Piano", which presents an (almost completely) uninterrupted recording of all those demos, with inbetween-song pauses & noises intact, taken from a tape source (be it several generations removed from the master cassette).
    As for the "expanded" bit: I have added six tracks which can be found on the "Cathy's Home Demos" bootleg. They are two further solo demos from 1980 of "Babooshka" (the first with Kate alone on the piano & some vocal overdubs, the second with Kate at the piano & a rhythm box and vocal + musical overdubs) and five demos with band from 1977, the so-called "Kick Inside" demos. All those clearly derive from a vinyl source; I have removed the worst clicks & pops with the pen tool in SoundForge, but I did not remove the last bit of surface noise as, again, I didn't want to compromise the sound in any way by using a generic restoration tool.
    re: the tracklist. The song titles of the 1976 demos are a moot point, as most of those songs have never been released officially. That's why these songs can be found with different titles on different bootlegs. What you find here are, first, what may well be the true original titles, followed by the various alternatives found for the songs in question on different bootlegs.
    The 1976 demos
    1. The Kick Inside aka Brother
    2. Hammer Horror
    3. It Hurts Me aka Feeling Like a Waltz aka A Rose Growing Old
    4. Stranded At The Moonbase aka The Air Is Getting Low aka Keep Me Waiting
    5. Kashka from Baghdad
    6. Surrender Into The Roses aka Coming Up aka Carmilla
    7. Oh To Be In Love
    8. Rinfy The Gypsy aka Playing Canasta In Cold Rooms
    9. On Fire Inside A Snowball aka Hot in the Ice
    10. Dali aka Ferry Me Over
    11. Where Are The Lionhearts aka On The Rocks
    12. Violin
    13. The Craft of Love aka Craft of Life
    14. The Gay Farewell aka Eddie the Queen
    15. Something Like A Song aka In My Garden
    16. Frightened Eyes
    17. The Disbelieving Angel
    18. Nevertheless You'll Do
    19. Come Closer To Me Babe aka Who Is Sylvia? aka Goodnight Baby
    20. So Soft aka You're Soft
    21. The Rare Flower aka Pick The Rare Flower aka I Don't See Why I Shouldn't
    22. While Davy Dozed aka Davy aka Hold Me

The 1980 demos
    23. Babooshka #1 (piano & vocal overdubs)
    24. Babooshka #2 (rhythmbox & vocal + musical overdubs)

The 1977 "Kick Inside" band demos
    25. Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake
    26. Kite
    27. L'Amour Looks Something Like You
    28. Strange Phenomena
    29. Scares Me Silly (But It Gets Me Going) (unreleased song)
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-08-09 12:02:31
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  •  And a blast back to the old days of the Wolfmen based Goldfrapp forum - no thanks required or requested , just post a random number .
  • Thanks Sartori, I will check that out later. EDIT: Oh, just saw your plea... scratch the thanks, then... and here is a number: 51,201

Can I post a general Kate Bush link here? There is a new doc being shown on BBC4 a week on Friday: link.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-08-10 10:44:46
  • That's epic thanks, love her demos. The red shoes one sounds interesting....

I recently downloaded the 1979 Manchester gig, with the best quality, wow wow wow wow! Such an amazing gig....
    Anyone else off to see her soon?
  • Cheers Rob, Mike 19092014 (Not so random that number though, Hammersmith here we come !)  
    www.themummers.co.uk
    photo 48d99ea1-4ff3-47b4-a076-5c9c0bc0a716_zpsbb643bce.jpg
  • I'm looking forward to Hammersmith too! :-) Oh, and my number...
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-08-10 10:48:40
  • Precious.  Sunny day here now so, for some reason, my random number generator has come up with...
    38-24-36.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Sartori, do you remember what was the red shoes era cd? That sounds intriguing....
  • Pineapple said:

Sartori, do you remember what was the red shoes era cd? That sounds intriguing....

I can't sorry , I picked it up at a record fair but that cd and a few others I've searched for , are lost in the Bermuda Triangle in my loft .
  • Ah cheers anyways....

The demo/original version of Why Should I Love You is one of my all time favourites....
  • 17031978 Cheers, Rob. I remember you sent me these as rar files way back when & I'm damned if I know what happened to them. So good to hear them again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!