Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 1299 Comments sorted by
  • Thanks Kat - I upgraded to Maverick a few weeks back whilst in France. The VPN I wanted to use to fool iPlayer I was still in the UK required it. The upgrade took about 36hrs on a pitiful French snailband. Do you find you're running out of hard disk space? I replaced my hard drive a few months back for a 1tb - it's brilliant if you have 15k photos and a large music collection. If you need it I can walk you through it - took me 9 months to pluck up courage but it was really easy.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • ^ I would be interested in knowing that appy, I've got a MacBook Pro and I'm on maverick. It's definitely running a lot slower.
  • Em - I'm not sure a new hard drive will solve that issue Ping - do you run a maintenance programme at all? I run a programme called MacKeeper which clears out all the crap - seems to work. I'll put together what I used for the HD replacement when I get chance.
    Post edited by Appy61 at 2014-08-07 15:18:04
  • I've got clean my mac.
  • OK does it make a difference when you run it?

• It probably has been a while since I used it, I'm gonna run it now and see if it helps. Though generally I felt that there was a real drop off in speeds after getting maverick. Which is why I made the connection. :)
  • Here's what I did to change my macbook HD. First you need to buy a few things.

1. A compatible hard drive I bought a Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB 2.5 inch SATA II 8MB 9.5mm Hard Drive through Amazon for £61.00. This was over a year ago and I couldn't justify paying 5x more for a solid state drive - these may be cheaper now and I'm told factory installed kit is exceptional.
    2. Hard Drive caddy - again I bought through Amazon a Screw Less 2.5" sata hdd USB 2 2.5 sata hdd hard drive case Enclosure for pc laptop, 2.5" HDD SATA Enclosure Caddy USB 2.0 For Laptop Hard Drive - XP, VISTA, WIN 7, MAC.
    3. Some antistatic kit to save frying any components when you've got the lid off. (not essential but salved my paranoia)
    4. Software to allow you to make a mirror copy of your existing HD to the new drive. I used 'SuperDuper' freeware and it worked fine.

So once you've got everything you will need to have a look at this YouTube vid which will walk you through the physical process - it looks easy and if you follow it implicitly it is.

Also read through this article it will give you advise on mirror copying the drive and addresses different MacBook varients 

One thing to note you won't need to bother with the start up disk (in the vid) if you do a mirror copy.

Suggest you do your research (loads of stuff on line) before anything so you understand what you're doing. Let me know if you need owt else.
  • thank you, i will have a good look into it all. cheers
  • Thanks for all that info Appy ( but I've got one of my heads coming on! All this tech stuff is more than a Numpty from the Land Of Cabbage can cope with). I haven't ( so far) encountered any problems with Mavericks ( great song that one, in the supermarket). And I too use Mackeeper, which I'd highly recommend. Since having my machine nursed, it's received several new parts inc a logic board, which sounds important to me!
    I'll come crawling to you next time I have any Mac issues :)
  • Blind people can legally own/use guns in the US. A bit much?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28587041
  • Am I the only one that thinks people are rather obsequious when it comes to Alison's Twitter and FB pictures? Latest offering 'Hackney Sundown' - hardly a masterclass in photography. I'll get mi coat!
  • @HJ I'd say it's a bit much, in fact, downright whack. I think painting would've been a better choice.

@Appy61 Agreed.

Ok, my enquiry is about diet Pepsi. I'm not sure what kind of chemicals are in there, but it really screwed with my brain! I had a huge brain fog, then severe headache after drinking one yesterday. Never again.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Does anyone know anything about blu-ray 3D?  I have on order a 2 disc blu-ray.  One disc is 2D, the other 3D.  I wonder whether I'd need a fancy blu-ray player (mine's basic) or a fancy television to watch 3D blu-ray.  I have a feeling that it isn't just a matter of glasses with blue and red lenses.
  • Peter, a '3D blu-ray' disc definitely needs a dedicated '3D blu-ray' player (such a player will of course play the standard 2D blu-rays). It also requires a dedicated 3D TV!

Are you sure the material on the 3D disc isn't just a 3D version of what's on the 2D disc?
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-08-26 09:08:52
  • Thank you Elliot, that was exactly the information I was asking for.  Basically, I'd have to spend a lot more money to watch the 3D disc.  (Looking on Amazon, I could pick up a 3D blu-ray player and 3D television for about £250.)  And, yes, the 3D disc is just a 3D version of the 2D disc, so I'm not losing anything other than the ability to watch it in 3D.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!