Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Obsession...(not the fragrance or song)
  • 43 Comments sorted by
  • Maybe because you're losing yourself? Maybe it's a safety mechanism catching, bringing you back to reality? When I read about the "twitter" thing...I felt compassionate. I think they want to be "seen" to feel validated somehow..it's strange, but human. It's within all of us..a need for acknowledgement. The need for validation has become the obsession. They must have lacked that somewhere along the way. I just want to say, "We see you, calm down" hahaha.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I never lose myself in fantasy or in obsession. In fact, in obsession--which is very rare and always short lived for me--I stand face to face with what are likely my greatest weaknesses. In fantasy, I admit to and practice my most admirable qualities, such as compassion and generosity.

I felt for Twitter Girl, too, but I felt horrible that they created an entire thread to criticize and ridicule her. ¡Pobrecita!
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-07-31 01:43:49
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I think your "Fantasy" is more "Reality" than you think..... :x
    U R I E L

• Ponygurl said:

I think your "Fantasy" is more "Reality" than you think..... :x

I've learned that it quickly becomes reality. It took a lot of work to get to that point though.
  • Yes, our thoughts create our actions which become our reality. I'm still having trouble navigating though. I'm still working for someone else's dream, not my own. In time it will come.
    U R I E L
  • OC/DC- the definition of a person with confused sexuality and a psychotic need for tidiness and order

Me then! ( at one time, I'm not confused anymore ha ha!)
  • Well Kat, you are welcome to come visit and stay, and help me clean my house ( see Grey Gardens) anytime you like :)
    -Hyperbole be dammed! Pony that has got to be THE best story ever.
    What else can you tell me...I don't think I'd be able to stand next to him and not say something. I don't think I could bear it.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-08-01 00:47:06
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • I've never been much impressed one way or the other by Prince. He looks like he smells like a Spencer Gifts shop.
  • Now you've made me want to smell a Spencer's Gift shop. Is it a candy store:) I imagine he smells delightfully funky...patchouli and licorice.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • No, sweetie. No.
  • Haha!!! Hilarious! Yes M, it is all true. It was the 90's. Versace cruising at the Warsaw, parties on Star Island...my sis used to model. (I got screwed out of the model gene pool) but anywho, Prince asked her to dance onstage with him at a show. Well she fell in lust/love with him but ended up dating his bro. We actually went to GlamSlam in MN. I remember wearing a pinstripe suit and heels (fucked up) and really not being able to walk in them. I liked Prince, but I wasn't obsessed like my sister. We followed him (he drove a yellow lamborghini back then) to Paisley Park from the club one day. He stopped at gas station to pump gas. So yeah...I watched Prince pump gas- hilarious when you think about it! I was so young and I guess star struck.. I couldn't talk to him. I made my sis give him a poem I wrote! So damn weird, but true!
    U R I E L
  • Fantastic! Such a great story. I'm actually walking into a club right now ( not in a pinstripe suit;) with friends from out of town and everyone wants me off my phone:/ but they have no idea how good your story is! You lucky girl! Argh, I gotta oh but I'll catch you later X
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • So M, have you ever had pervy thoughts about Stevie Nicks?! I'm curious now. Oh, and where the hell did HJ get off to?

Spencer's iuv?! Bahahahaha! It's a funny, gag-gift store. All sorts of x-rated and gross/cool gifts. Say if you want to buy a penis-shaped bong, velvet Green Day poster, or nag champa incense.....Spencer's is the place!

Ok, who was your celebrity crush/obsession when you were young iuv?!?!
    U R I E L
  • Deborah Harry, and Cyndi Lauper for a brief moment. Still love Debbie.

Do you remember Motion Lotion from Spencer's?
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-08-01 07:58:42
  • KatRobin said:

OC/DC- the definition of a person with confused sexuality and a psychotic need for tidiness and order

Me then! ( at one time, I'm not confused anymore ha ha!)

Sign me up for the OCD club. I've got a little bit of that too, hehe. Just like to have my stuff in a certain order...but not in an Adrian Monk's way, thank dog. 

Ponygurl said:

What I mean by "fun" is, it's taking your mind from one thing (like college coursework) and putting it on something far more stimulating like music. I guess a positive distraction. There have been times I've stayed up all night playing guitar or piano, or writing. Passion. Maybe it becomes a negative when the passion is all consuming? Hmm, too much focus on one thing to the detriment of others? Like being so absorbed in something, you forget to eat. It could become a negative when the fantasy overwhelms the reality? Obsession can go both ways, like anything in life. It can inspire or consume-

I agree with you, Ponygurl. During Goldfrapp's Seventh Tree era I decided to go to the concert in San Francisco, imagining it wasn't very probable they would go to Mexico (which happily happened for the next tour) and of course I got all excited. I remember my dad told me off because of that "crazy" decision and I said "well, it's my passion, can't I have one?". And since then I've thought that those little obsessions make us healthy human beings. You know, for example, I've met people who seems to find everything... the same. Has it happened to you guys that you ask someone:
    - So what kind of music do you like?
    - Uhm, I like everything.
    - Well, but you must have an artist or band you like more.
    - Nooo, I like everything.
    I might be wrong, but not having at least one "more favorite" (is it correct to say it like that?), for me is, well, kind of sad.
    And of course, and obsession can become really nasty when that keeps you from doing your regular activities or when you actually harass someone.

I tend to have little obsessions with celebrities all the time, haha. I can be obsessed with someone and the next week with someone else, or I can go back to someone else I'd been obsessed with again. Nothing scary at all, I just have fantasies like anybody else. 
    These last weeks' obsession has been Eva Green.

Edit: Oh, and I want to know about HJ's boy-crush/obsession too!!!
    Post edited by caro at 2014-08-01 08:49:38

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!