Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Obsession...(not the fragrance or song)
  • Out of curiosity, have you ever been obsessed with someone or something? Who, what and why?!

Here's a positive business link- http://www.evancarmichael.com/Business-Coach/2915/OBSESSION-Why

U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • 43 Comments sorted by
  • I just put that link up as an example, really you can be obsessed about anything. (Obviously) I find the topic interesting-
    U R I E L
  • No. Nothing.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • ♫ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah♫
    Post edited by LuDux at 2014-07-30 16:37:28
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • My multitude of little obsessions over things and ideas is innumerable and not worth mentioning other than the fact that when I like something I really enjoy focusing my attention on it. It just feels good, it's an indulgence that I find invigorating and edifying.
    My obsessions with people are similar affairs though less frequent (thankfully)
    I will confess to obsessing over Prince, Stevie Nicks and yes, Alison. My obsessions are usually well intentioned, sincere, on occasion slightly pervy, but generally harmless and ultimately fairly positive experiences.
    I am not a fickle person and once I harbor feelings of esteem for someone it's genuine and longlasting. Even when time passes, it's like an old friend or lover you don't see anymore but would defend to the death, and whenever you do think of them, however infrequently, it's always fondly.
    I hope that doesn't sound too crazy. Oh well.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-07-30 21:51:27
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Oh, my! I just thought of one. No, two!
  • Oh yes and Catherine Deneuve, Jesus! I hold her personally responsible for my gayness. I wore her perfume all thru high school because I imagined that's what she smelled like ( insert eye roll here)
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • I'd guess that she smells like cigarettes and coffee.
  • I'll take it:) what about HJ story. I want to know!!
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • I don't know what he finds so appealing about me. Really. I mean, I'm just an average guy.
  • Come on HJ I want to hear about the man you were obsessed with. Give us details!
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • It was probably someone like David Sylvian for his talent or Stephen Hawking for his mind.

Or maybe it's David Baxter...in a totally non-gay bro-mantic way that is.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-07-30 21:59:23
  • I think it was/is David Bowie...am I right HJ?! In your teenage years? M, I love your story about Catherine Deneuve. The Hunger, right? There can definately be a sexual component to it...I mean with people. The first woman I fell for (that reciprocated my feelings) used to wear Halston. I used to wear it too, so somehow a part of her would be with me.

My sister was the one obsessed with Prince. She dated his brother (who was his body guard, back in the day) and made me go to Glam Slam and Paisley Park with her when I was just a teenager! Crazy, I know. He had a VIP, dancefloor upstairs at GlamSlam with purple, red and (if I remember correctly) yellow billowing curtains hung up. He also had this huge-ass portrait of Janet Jackson hanging on the wall. Strange to even think I was there! It was a whole lifetime ago! I was much too intimidated to talk to him, but I stood beside him upstairs at GlamSlam a couple of times. I did write him a poem though, haha! She was truly Obsessed! I mean dating his brother to get to him?!?! (No, she never ended up with him)

Anywho, my obsessions are harmless, daydreaming type affairs that distract me from reality. I used to obsess about Tori Amos. She got me through some tough college years. It's really an escape, isn't it? It's focusing on something fun and interesting rather than something stressful or boring. I was going through a tough time back in 2003 when I became obsessed with Alison...she was my lovely distraction. I don't think I get as obsessed anymore, but who knows?!
    U R I E L
  • Are obsessions fun? I thought they were...obsessive.
  • What I mean by "fun" is, it's taking your mind from one thing (like college coursework) and putting it on something far more stimulating like music. I guess a positive distraction. There have been times I've stayed up all night playing guitar or piano, or writing. Passion. Maybe it becomes a negative when the passion is all consuming? Hmm, too much focus on one thing to the detriment of others? Like being so absorbed in something, you forget to eat. It could become a negative when the fantasy overwhelms the reality? Obsession can go both ways, like anything in life. It can inspire or consume-
    U R I E L
  • I have a fantastical imagination. Ask one of my many boyfriends.

However, when my attractions, fantasies, distractions become obsessive, I feel rather uneasy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!