Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
8th June - BBC6Music - Alison Goldfrapp 'Soundtracking Your Sunday Afternoon'
  • 44 Comments sorted by
  • ^Good point. That seems to happen from time to time with listings on the website. Don't know why.

What a sublime selection of songs. No great surprises but none the worse for that. Alison had highlighted Yma Sumac on a radio show a few years ago - can't remember which one - and it was the first time I'd heard of her.

The first hour had a dreamy, shimmering vibe that was just perfect for a Sunday afternoon in summer. The second hour had more upbeat tunes featuring many of my favourite artists too. I've got 13 of the songs she played and other songs by most of the other artists she featured. I expect it'll be much the same with most people.

The programme trailers that popped up really jarred so at some point, I'm going to edit these out of the recording I make and will try to share this if people want.

I remember some of these songs being played in the 'Now Playing' show hosted by Tom Robinson on 1st September last year. That was the one we contributed to. Francoise Hardy, Nick Drake & Leonard Cohen - same songs then. That show also featured other songs by Nico, Prince, Cocteau Twins, Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood. You can see the trackinglisting at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039hvd1
    In fact, doing a search reveals that there's an MP3 of this still available via a dropbox link (Carpy's I presume). Nice to hear it again. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71438256/#Goldfrapp6Music - Goldfrapp Tweet In.mp3
  • Well, I tried to listen at work today...but f'n work got in the way! Gonna give it a proper listen now at quarter after 10pm with a glass of Riesling. It's never too late to enjoy a good thing- (thanks carp)
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • In my excitement I forgot to log off and have been signed in for the past 12 hours. Yes, thank you Carpy for recording it. It's definitely something people are going to want to revisit. Presently listening to Sundown Sundown again, it's all so good.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • How good to see Yma on Alison's list. It was she who recommended her years ago and I've had a richer listening experience because of that. Thanks again Alison.
  • omg dear lord is there a link to this, a mp3? Birthday is just starting...
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• Listen again... http://bbc.in/1hvBuTc
    Or Carpy has linked to a download a few posts above.
  • ping said:

I have albums by 16 of those artists/bands so it looks like she's been rifling through my record collection :D

haha, yes me too. though it makes sense to me that we have similar tastes really. 

12 for me ;)

a most enjoyable show
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • I heard a long time ago that the song "Birthday" was about child abuse? Does anyone know if this is true?
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• i recall reading an explanation bjork gave that it was a kind of lolita-esque relationship, between a little girl and an old man. i want to say it was just a weird friendship with no actual abuse going on but i read about it a long time ago so i might be misremembering?

ok heres what wikipedia says:
    "It's a story
    about a love affair between a five year old girl, a secret and a man who
    lives next door..."

"... It's like huge men, about
    fifty or so, affect little girls very erotically but nothing happens...
    nothing is done, just this very strong feeling. I picked on this subject
    to show that anything can affect you erotically; material, a tree,
    anything."

so there you are i guess

also! thanks for providing an mp3 carpy, much appreciated :3
  • banana said:

I heard a long time ago that the song "Birthday" was about child abuse? Does anyone know if this is true?

According to Björk, it is, indeed, about an inappropriate relationship between a child and a grown man.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Carpy, you are fantastic. xxx
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• ^ I happen to love creepy birthday songs.
    Anyway, listened to the radio show again today on my bike and it made for a really nice ride. It's so thoughtful and, sort of magic her picks, so many things to love. I wonder if it took her a long time to put it together. It's a real treat.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • I must say, that I'm shocked silly that no one picked, "Funky Town" by "Lips Inc.!" And don't give this shit that you never heard it before, I know all of you have but you didn't list it!
    mahogany= my agony
    'the wind...the wind'

• A_is_A said:

^ I happen to love creepy birthday songs.

Altered Images and Concrete Blonde both have great songs called "Happy Birthday."

The 80s rule!

If I were dead, could I do this?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!