Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • Ok. You may have read about this in other threads. I checked with Keith and he is cool that this does not crash his thread, but for some months, maybe even a year, I have been playing with the idea of the Soundtrack of your Life.
    The premise. We are making a biopic of your life (cheer up - your famous/rich yeah!) We know the story (it's your life ) but now we need the music for the soundtrack. This needs to follow your life, so start with what you first remember, or music from around that period and move on from there, picking up the relative music as your life progresses. We do not need narrative, just the music that defines your journey to where you are now.
    No restrictions on number of tracks. If you have had a busy life, you will need lots of soundtrack.
    Take as long as you like. This will take me several weeks to complete but if anyone wants first crack, the floor is yours.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • 11 Comments sorted by
  • I started to think about this and decided that too much of the music that would be the soundtrack to my life is stuff that I cannot now abide.
  • Lol....not for me that I can't abide it, but well....would you post The Smurf Song? If we are going back to childhood...( obviously!!). Some things are perhaps best not shared.
  • I'm not sure that I've ever heard The Smurf Song.  I was thinking of the dreadful stuff I liked in my 20s, in the 1960s.  Amongst the stuff I can't abide is anything by:

Bob Dylan
    The Rolling Stones
    The Grateful Dead
    Captain Beefheart

I'm not even keen on The Beatles any more.
  • Monkey Man, You've got the Sliver, Can't you hear me knocking, Lay Lady Lay??!?!?  Still love 'em.
  • Perhaps you are thinking about this the wrong way. It can be stuff you liked and then, looking back, you dislike, but it can also be stuff you look back on now with the perspective of age and now appreciate; perhaps still not for its quality, but because you were there.
    An example I think. When I was in early senior school, I liked Roy Wood and Wizzard. Now, I would not have that in my soundtrack, but I could. I am much more likely to put in Jean genie by David Bowie as this was around at the same time and I think is more indicative of that time. In 1977, I hated Punk with a vengeance, and thought the Sex Pistols were a scourge on music. All that gobbing on people; it was not right. I was into Ted Nugent and Sabbath at the time, but now, with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight, I see it was just a passing moment in time and I 'may' put Pretty Vacant in as, again, it was indicative of that period of my life.
    It's your soundtrack, so you can put in what you like. No one else will know the kind of info I have written above unless you cough it up.
    Tubby the Tuba anyone? The runaway train? My Lovely Bruvver? I was there but they ain't going in !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-06-17 13:52:36
  • When I was in junior school, my favourite record was "Rock Candy Mountain" by Burl Ives.  A few years ago, I made the mistake of buying a Burl Ives CD to listen to the song again.  It's unutterably awful (as, indeed, was the entire Burl Ives CD).  Still, I could go for "Witch Doctor".  I liked that when I was young, and can still enjoy it.  There must be things on I have on CD from the year I was born (1946).  Peggy Lee?  Dinah Shore?  Jo Stafford?  Anita O'Day?  Hmmm...  If I think on those lines, maybe I could come up with a plausible soundtrack to my life.  Perhaps Sandie Shaw (whom I now like, but to whom I felt indifferent at the time) could fill in for 1960s horrors...  I'll think on it.
  • Didn't Burl do Ugly Bug Ball?  Enjoyed that as a kid Pet. A critic once said of Burl:
    "Ives's voice ... had the sheen and finesse of opera without its latter-day Puccinian
    vulgarities and without the pretensions of operatic ritual. It was
    genteel in expressive impact without being genteel in social conformity.
    And it moved people."
    Couldn't all have been bad!
  • Just noticed. 500 posts up in about 2 months. Make that 501.
  • I think that Burl did do Ugly Bug's Ball.

I'm stuck on 362 no matter how often I post.
  • This is the Burl Ives I know and love:

If I were dead, could I do this?
  • My list in the sunday afternoon thread is ACTUALLY the soundtrack to my life. This thread would be a better place for it :-)

Probably a better idea UT is to a desert island discs. As each song on that usually relates to that persons life.

8 songs (one favourite)

Book + Luxury item!
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2014-06-18 05:37:36

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!