Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
St Vincent
  • Pretty sure there isn't already a thread about this lady?

Well, there was one on the old board.. so this is a kinda continuation of that one.
    It was started in 2011 by folklore (where the hell are you nowadays, folkie?) and it can be found here.

I am so, so late to the SV party * kicks own ass * Why didn't I act on yous guys raving back then?

She has actually been releasing albums since 2007, I believe.

I've just got the most recent (eponymous) album... I like what I hear so far.
    So.. what do people think of the 4 solos + the David Byrne collab?

EDIT/UPDATE: Having now listened to the whole album...
    2 songs seem to me to have a very Bowie feel: 'Prince Johnny' and 'Severed crossed fingers'.
    Lyrics from the former:
    Remember the time we went and snorted
    That piece of the Berlin Wall that you'd extorted
    And we had such a laugh of it
    Prostrate on my carpet

What an amazing shift in tempo half-way thru 'Huey Newton!
    Definite Talking Heads influence on a few tracks and I'm also hearing echoes of The Knife - Deep cuts. All good!
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-08-04 15:39:20
  • 25 Comments sorted by
  • For some reason the Byrne collab didn't grab me but her solo stuff certainly does.

Still getting to grips with the new one but Strange Mercy proved itself to be a real grower and is very much loved by me.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Her new self titled is still the undisputed AOTY for me. I can't find anything that equals/is better than it this year, and I doubt that I will. That said I'd love to be proved wrong, but I just doubt it.

• The new album may be her best yet & in 'Prince Johnny', she's probably made her most beguiling & accessible song. A mesmerising performance on Friday's 'Later', too, especially those final moments. It's on the iPlayer at the moment & hopefully on YouTube before long.

The collaboration with David Byrne has obviously had a lasting impact, not least on 'Digital Witness', with the irresistable brass sound. I was lucky to see them at the Electric Picnic festival & they were superb. In addition to songs from 'Love This Giant', we got some of Annie's own songs and a few Talking Heads numbers too.

Looking forward to seeing St Vincent at this year's Electric Picnic. Meantime, I'm still savouring the album & all its strange, but attractive, idiosyncracies
  • Annie was excellent at Glasto :-) I've uploaded one of the more-chaotic / less-melodic songs she did. Mental audience interaction and epic guitar playing!

• I really love her last album, but I think her best are Strange Mercy and Actor. It was a real pleasure to listen to many songs of these albums live when I saw her in Paris. And she came down the stage too, but it wasn't as crazy as that Glastonbury show. How not to love her? 
  • I just saw her perform Wednesday night here in New York on Live on Letterman at the Ed Sullivan Theater. She was flippin' amazing! I love, love, LOVE her new album!
  • On a side note regarding St. Vincent, while we were standing in line out front of the theater my wife and I noticed these four teenage boys milling about dressed in quasi punk looking attire - Ramones t-shirts, Doc Martens, etc. I remarked to my wife that they looked like they should be in a band. I finally figured out who they were today! Turns out it was the guys from 5 Seconds of Summer. Nobody knew who they were. Apparently they're big in every country but America? Who knew? Ha!
  • On a side note regarding St. Vincent, while we were standing in line out front of the theater my wife and I noticed these four teenage boys milling about dressed in quasi punk looking attire - Ramones t-shirts, Doc Martens, etc. I remarked to my wife that they looked like they should be in a band. I finally figured out who they were today! Turns out it was the guys from 5 Seconds of Summer. Nobody knew who they were. Apparently they're big in every country but America? Who knew? Ha!

I know who they are but not what they look like. Honest to God I wouldn't have a clue who they were if they walked in front of me.

• Was lovely to see Annie's contributions to the Kate Bush doc on friday. She even sung a bit of 'hounds'.
  • Fine contributions indeed. I'll be seeing her at Electric Picnic this weekend :)
  • Oh, lucky you. I'll be seeing her at the roundhouse in October. Laura too. :-)
  • And me in October too! But in Brum.
  • I'm interested in a St Vincent cover of a Kate Bush song now. Or has that already been done?
    Post edited by Low at 2014-10-22 13:49:49

• Finally got around to getting another St V album. Downloaded 'Strange mercy'. At least they're all available in uncompressed format... I'd much rather pay £9 for the WAV/flac than £6 for the mp3 version.

She starts UK leg of latest tour tomorrow, and I'll be seeing her at the Roundhouse on Saturday... along with the GMB's very own Laura. Can't bloody wait.

Oh, Annie can be a wee bit mental on stage, as per this gig in Texas recently: link
  • Today, Annie won the Q Awards 'Maverick' award.

Her acceptance speech thingy seems to have been taken down... but here's a clip of her chatting afterwards. Looking ghostly pale! Link

And here is a fab pic from tonight's gig at the Albert Hall, Manchester (yes, the TOU premiere venue):

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-10-22 19:00:35

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!