Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Lies, damned lies and statistics - The gigs and Goldfrapp Covers
  • I love statistics, so I am bound to be ecstatic about Goldfrapp statistics. One place to get these is Setlist.fm, and for those of you that are signed up to the database and add in the gigs; good on you. When this info is updated, and not only new gigs, but the old ones you know of, the more these statistics become useable. 
    According to Setlist, Goldfrapp have been playing gigs since 2000; performing gigs every year except 2002, 2007 and 2012. So far, the database says they have played 229 gigs in total; the first being at Les Nuits Botanique in Brussels, Belgium on the 22nd September 2000 (no Setlist songs listed) and the last being at the Barbican, York on the 5th April 2014 (full Setlist posted). Now, you may disagree with these statements, but that is what people have posted. If there were earlier gigs (Goldfrapp are an English band and their first gig was in Belgium?) no-one has added it to the database.
    There are obviously missing gigs in the middle, so if you have any of these facts locked away, you need to get yourself a Setlist.fm account and get on there to update the data. That way, the interesting statistics become more accurate. 
    For instance:
    The song Goldfrapp have played the most is Strict Machine with a count of 114, followed by Train at 109 and Oh la la at 95.
    In all the posted concerts, Goldfrapp have played 417 songs from Supernature, 393 from Black Cherry, 357 from Felt Mountain, 298 from Head First, 246 from 7th Tree and 113 from Tales of Us. (+ 87 from other sources such as the Singles Collection (Yellow Halo and Melancholy Sky and various covers).
    Goldfrapp have never joined anyone on stage as guests. Neither has a guest band or artist joined Goldfrapp on stage. (They should befriend Elton John. He pops up as a guest at a lot of people's gigs. What about Adrian Utley or Beth Gibbons?)
    Finally, until recently, no-one had covered a Goldfrapp song on stage. Yes there are a couple of Goldfrapp covers on YouTube, but no- one had included one in their own gig as a cover. That is, until the 26th Jan 2014 when one Suzi Quatro covered Strict Machine during a gig at the Mulwala Water Ski Club in Australia. (Played in between Rock Hard and She's in Love with You). She's played it 6 times and it has only just popped up because at that last gig, someone finally posted it as a Goldfrapp cover. The first time was in 2011. There is a video which I have posted below. 
    Not all the posted gigs have set lists attached so if you have any details locked away in your souvenirs, get on there, up date the info and make that data more accurate for those of us that lap this stuff up! 

Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-05-02 19:29:46
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • 33 Comments sorted by
  • Hm, interesting figures. Expect the HF songs count to remain fairly constant. ;-)

Oh, there was one other gig since the York one... at the Sage/Gateshead on the 7th.

People might find extra info on gigs/setlists at the awesome http://www.goldfrapp.free.fr site, although I don't think David/ignite_me updates it much these days. And sadly it lacks setlist info for gig numero uno... Botanique.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-04-28 19:11:58
  • Hm, interesting figures. Expect the HF songs count to remain fairly constant. ;-)

Oh, there was one other gig since the York one... at the Sage/Gateshead on the 7th.

People might find extra info on gigs/setlists at the awesome www.goldfrapp.free.fr site, although I don't think David/ignite_me updates it much these days. And sadly it lacks setlist info for gig numero uno... Botanique.

Hi HJ
    We need people to get on Setlist and put in what they know. Last time I was on Free.fr, it had not been updated since 2010 I think. I have used that source to update info on Setlist before, but it is a labour of love.
    I've added the Sage gig but did not go, so perhaps someone who did wants to input the Setlist. I assume it will be the same as recent gigs?
    And that is gig número uno as we currently know it !
  • I like the Suzi Q rendition and she ain't bad for 64!
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • If I remember well the setlist of the gig at the Sage was the same as the one in York.
    The fratellis performed a cover of Ooh la la :

In the Suzy Q cover of Strict machine the high notes are completely absent ...
  • Giancarlo. That's probably because she has a throat like gravel.
    What was the date of the Fratellis gig?
  • Interview with Alison 2010 - The Supernature singer-songwriter told the Daily Star: "Most of our fans are really lovely intelligent people - but there's always been weird men right at the front of our shows, staring at me."

"I just think people are attracted to things for all kinds of reasons."

So is this you? - if so, stop staring!

Post edited by Appy61 at 2014-04-29 09:23:39
  • I don't know about The Fratellis, just noticed that video on YouTube time ago ...
  • So here's how it went down - I'm trying to promote the wonders of Goldfrapp to colleagues so one goes on Google and finds a plethora of delectable images of our Alison but also this article about A thinking her fans are weird! As you can imagine much hilarity ensued. Does A really think her fans are weird?
  • ^ I remember that interview appearing. A did write a blog about it, I think she felt that she had been misquoted and she seemed pretty upset that she may have upset people. That's what I remember anyhow.
  • ^ Yeah, that seems about right, ping. The blog is long gone now, but here's the related thread on the old board: http://goldfrappmessageboard.emihosting.com/showthread.php?t=16110
  • The fratellis performed a cover of Ooh la la :

Giancarlo. I think this is what the 'youth' of today call a 'mash-up'. It is mainly Oh la la but slips now and then into Hot Love by T Rex. I think they have only played it live once. It will make an interesting challenge on Setlist to categorise.
  • Thanks for that Ping & HJ - interesting read. I hadn't seen that before and I was slightly taken aback although we are not often at the very front except in Amsterdam when Angie winked at me during LB! I did laugh at the story by lutz - physically removing an interloper. I recall one gig where a women pushed between me and Mrs A and in my bestest posh voice said 'excuse me madam would you mind buggering oft' to my surprise she did
  • Ok. I have altered all the Suzi Quatro gigs where she played Strict Machine to indicate a Goldfrapp cover and will see what is possible with the Fratellis and Oh la la.
    I have also put in the set list for the Gateshead Sage based on the previous gig at the York Barbican.
    Dig out your gig info and get on to Setlist.fm and input any missing Frapp gigs or songs played that you know of. Let's get that counter ticking upwards !
  • Depeche Mode playing the Goldfrapp version of Halo it's not valid I think ...
  • Giancarlo said:

I don't know about The Fratellis, just noticed that video on YouTube time ago ...

Thanks for the tip Giancarlo. I have edited all the (24) times the Fratellis have played Ooh la la on Setlist.fm. With Suzi Quatro at 6 times for Strict Machine, the Goldfrapp covers by others is now standing at 30.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!