Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • Hi all Thought I would share the first record I ever bought, in the continuing quest to find out more about other GMB members. The first record I owned was when I was 6. My parents bought me the soundtrack to Walt Disney's Snow White as a birthday present. They followed up with The Jungle Book when I was 9. I still have both of these. Have since moved on from the Disney phase. The first record I bought was a 7" single, Nothing Rhymed by Gilbert O Sullivan, followed by Rock n Roll part 1 by Gary Glitter, followed by many Rak record singles from Suzi Quatro, etc. all now quite embarrassing. Still like Devil Gate Drive though. I did better with the first album. I bought Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield when it was first released, and then Dark Side of the Moon and Wish you were here by Pink Floyd, then Sheer Heart Attack by Queen. Pleased with that little run ! I resisted CD's for many years, believing in the sonic superiority of vinyl. I still do ! I succumbed in 1993 when on holiday in Hong Kong. I bought a portable CD player ( and a drum machine ! ) and 2 CD's; Rod Stewarts Greatest hits (hang head) and David Bowies Black Tie, White Noise (Hurrah!) What were yours?
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-04-14 08:31:18
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • 31 Comments sorted by
  • "Meet the Beatles"
  • Look sharp - on vinyl - by Roxette. Though I am not sure this is of any help to your quest of finding out more about your fellow-GMB-members, Urban_Tribesman. Mind you, I was 13 at the time!

I do appreciate your recent posts to the GMB btw. It gets more & more difficult to find certain posts back, but keep up the good work of adding new threads!
    Post edited by Jeronimooo at 2014-04-14 11:25:07
  • I resisted CD's for many years, believing in the sonic superiority of vinyl. I still do ! I succumbed in 1993 when on holiday in Hong Kong. I bought a portable CD player ( and a drum machine ! ) and 2 CD's; Rod Stewarts Greatest hits (hang head) and David Bowies Black Tie, White Noise (Hurrah!) What were yours?

my mum brought an everly brothers greatest hits CD two years before she brought a CD player.

the first record i was ever brought was a nursery rhymes/stories thing. the first one i ever brought for myself was youthquake by dead or alive.
    Post edited by ping at 2014-04-14 12:25:49
  • First single was Tears For Fears, Shout. and my first album was Songs from the big chair by the same artist.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • I need to confess - bless me father for I have sinned - my first single was Sugar Sugar by the Archies first album the story of pop by K-Tel or some such mail order outfit
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • keep up the good work of adding new threads!

Hear! Hear! or is it Here! Here!  Never did figure that out...
  • Hear here maybe?
  • Just consulted my aunt Google. She says:
    The actual source is the Hebrew Bible, Samuel II 20:16. "Then cried a wise woman out of the city: 'Hear, hear; say, I pray you, unto Joab: Come near hither, that I may speak with thee.''
    It is also credited as a shortening of 'hear him, hear him' which was shouted out when you agreed with a speaker. At Eton college, this is then followed by them tossing their top hats ( or Toppers as they would say) into the air. But then again, they are a toffee nosed bunch of twats.
    Hope this clears things up. Happy to try to explain the Mother tounge to any American cousins interested.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Hmm, I grew up in a house full of music...dad is a big audiophile. Was raised on Led Zeplin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Joplin, Mark Knopfler, the Beatles from dad and from mom, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Depeche Mode, Bowie and Kiss.

The first album(s, a gift certificate for Christmas bought me my first two cds at the same time) I ever bought for myself were Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes and Nirvana's Nevermind back in early '92 which promptly opened the flood gates of my musical obsession.
  • UT: I kinda figured it had to do with whether I was talking about music or calling a dog.
  • There there...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Single: Are Friends Electric
    Album: Unknown Pleasures

I'm only just learning how to 'smile' ...
  • Fleetwood Mac-Rumors, bought at a yard sale for 25 cents. I was 10 or 11 years old. Best quarter i ever did spend!!

Speaking of, has record day past?? I didn't hear anything about it this year.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-04-15 21:28:32
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • KISS, Destroyer

I think.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-04-15 21:21:44
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

KISS, Destroyer

I think.

I remember catching re-runs of Kiss's short lived TV show when i was little. i don't remember what it was called. I found it frightening and fascinating! Now I'm thinking it was probably all hilarious camp. Children don't get camp :D
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!