Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What's your Favourite Live Track ?
  • For me, Goldfrapp is all about the live experience.  Don't get me wrong, I love the albums, particularly Felt Mountain and Seventh Tree. However the energy the band create on stage is unsurpassed and Alison holds the whole spell together like a Goddess, transcending the space between this world and some utopian dreamland. Certain tracks really drive this home.

Ooh La La is one for all us dancers, its infectious beat animates your body and you cant help throwing those shapes. Little Bird is fantastic live, the swell of the chorus leading to the instrumental, then as the band cuts loose there is a a real freedom that is unique every time its played.  But my absolute favourite is Lovely Head, it drips with poise and venom in the verse, then when the chorus cuts in its absolutely crazy and the madness of it all transports me to that incredible Goldfrapp paradise.  

So what's your favourite live track, and why?
    Post edited by tweety at 2013-06-21 15:16:10
    "its MY favourite song"
  • 67 Comments sorted by
  • Ride A White Horse, especially the live version they've been doing in the Head First era, when towards the end of the song she just breaks into freestyle angelic bliss. Gets me every time. I hope that's a song they never remove from the set. 

• They did Hunt live a few times

• Utopia is indeed the ultimate classic. For the real belter it's got to be Strict Machine too.
  • utopia - 7th tree tour style. as well as black cherry from the seventh tree tour

Also train xD
    Aaron
    facebook.com/omgitsaaronnnx
  • Utopia, hands down.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Two choices for very different reasons.

1st) Lovely Head.

There's something about the husky tone of such a classy intro, no warning of the attack you're about to receive when that second mic stand gets grasped into submission. Some nights a forlorn wail and others a vicious banshee wall of noise. I've seen live renditions over the years that made me want to give her a hug and others that leave you reeling from the force. The track lives & breathes with each performance, always something different each time. Those first intro notes start and I'm gone, just gone, every single time.

Here's one where Alison takes it out on the chattering Glasgow crowd - talk about going for it!

2) Slide In.

Didn't expect that, did you! This was one of those tracks that came to life for me after seeing it live for the first time at the Newcastle show. It was punchier, slinkier (yes, that's word) and just sexier somehow. It's like Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis (look them up!) had met Blade Runner in some club in a Neo-Tokyo basement. The big groove, the burbling breakdowns, Alison's little mini-yodel. Sometimes a sharp album track loosens it live and kicks all the harder for it.

This one saw her circled by the spooky dancers at Rock Werchter:-

A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.

• They're ALL my favourite!  I WIN!!  \:D/     <- (How annoying's he!)

Post edited by softlad at 2013-06-21 17:13:40
  • Sigur Ros - Popligad
  • Sigur Ros - Popligad

Did Goldfrapp do that one then? >:)
  • Sorry, tatty - a bit evil but hope it makes you chuckle too.
  • ^ you know sometimes this board really gets on my tits, people are bloody obsessed with Goldfrapp. There are other bands out there you know!

;-) hehe.

Yep, Carpy it was the new board (and alcohol) confusing me. It default lists most recent posts so I have no idea what section it's in. Thought we were in off topic :-/

On topic.

Lovely Head (felt Mountain tour) first time she it's the vocorder rift. Unbeatable!!
  • It drew a little chuckle from you so it's all good :)
  • sartorious from the wonderful electric dvd... it has always been my favorite of the felt mountain "b-sides." love the whole thing, especially how she belts "it's been raining for years"

i'm also fond of the performance of slippage from the dvd, that scream was perfect!

also echoing people above, pretty much any performance of lovely head is amazing. oh and any song with an extended outro. and human for the violin solo. so basically everything
  • Black Cherry at Cardiff Uni on the BC tour, tinselly bits came down from the roof whilst she was singing it, I was quite moved and touched (not in a 70's tv star way) .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Ride A White Horse, especially the live version they've been doing in the Head First era, when towards the end of the song she just breaks into freestyle angelic bliss. Gets me every time. I hope that's a song they never remove from the set. 

Whoops! Double post, my apologies. Can't seem to find a way to delete unintended posts. Strange.
    Post edited by Slippage at 2013-06-21 20:13:49

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!