Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 44 Comments sorted by
  • ^ I actually adore that country version of , Ooh La La' (from the Seventh Tree era) and would be more than happy to hear more like it.

hunter
    Post edited by hunter at 2014-02-03 18:23:45
  • I want it to be a reinvention. Not "more electro" like half of their catalogue or "more acoustic" like the other half. I want them to be bold and take an inspiration (like they did with Felt Mountain) and create a timeless piece of music that is hard to categorise. Something without artistic or commercial boundaries. Something that will take both of them out of their comfort zone and they struggle with for a while before they find the 'it' factor of that idea and make it work like only they can.

That would be awesome.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • ^
    That does sound pretty awesome Stranger.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • i think...and this won't be popular...but i think the TOU era HAD to be made for WILL.......the musical didn't go so well....but this launch might be it for him....and i hope he gets all of the accolades he deserves....bring on the next Bond Theme 
  • Duet. With Stevie Nicks. And soaring dance tracks collaborated with Grimes and Crystal Castles. Think the Judas remix crossed with the Perfect Dark videogame soundtrack. I'd buy 100 copies and make a shrine to that any day.
  • Maybe they should focus more on producing for a while...? Reading names above such as Grimes it would be very interesting to see/hear them lending their musical twists to other artists, gather some inspiration from it and start creating something totally different again. I quite like the new sound of St. Vincent right now. Quirky but in a very rhythmic and rocking way. 

Oh, and there's always time for a new, classy bond tune... :)
    Post edited by HolyOwl at 2014-02-01 19:03:31
    Be patient.
  • I adore TOU, but I would be a bit disappointed if everything moving forward is this mellow.  I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever direction they want to go in next.  But since we're making requests, it would be interesting for them to consider...

• Working with a producer who might push them out of their comfort zone rather than self-producing (we might get less of the fuzzy/bubbly synths and harpischord sounds that have become a bit... expected)
    • Do some more electro/up-tempo  numbers but have them be REALLY dark and fucking weird
    • Alison does breathy and ethereal like no one's business, but it would be lovely to hear her full-throated brassy chest-voice (think "Human" but dialed up even more).  You know, perhaps a song in which you understand all of the lyrics right away without having to check the liner notes.  ;)  

Whatever they do next, I hope Lisa continues to work with them.  These TOU videos have been absolutely smashing.  

Post edited by HorseTearz at 2014-02-02 08:01:08
  • Wow!  Lots of good ideas!  I hope they happen across this thread and the eloquence stated by many.  Now, y'all have me wondering.  I don't know.  I kinda feel like TOU was a great deal of effort that really did take them out of their comfort zone or, more exactly, let them savour what awesome potential there is.  It seems weird to say it but, maybe, this was the breakthrough needed to put them over the top (I'm not talking charts, I'm talking music potential).  Hmmm, I don't think I'm putting it well.  Kind of like walking over a mountain and seeing a new, vast, breath-taking horizon.  It's almost like the more they compose together, the more the grandeur is evident to them.  I hope so, anyways.

Anyways, love all the ideas.  I was beginning to think that  this was a dead thread (I wasn't even watching for it, anymore).  Glad to see I was wrong!
  • I adore TOU, but I would be a bit disappointed if everything moving forward is this mellow.

I'm not sure I'd describe Tales of Us as mellow. There's a rising energy in several songs. Even some of the slower compositions have an unreleased tension just below the surface. Perhaps, I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see them take this a bit further.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I think the direction of TOU is a good one, there's more to it than the initial feeling some might have of 'oh this is an acoustic guitar album'. 'Alvar', 'Thea' and 'Laurel' are the sort of musical direction I appreciate the most, but all the songs have their moments, epic at times, nothing can be epic all the time and still be appreciated by me. T O U is a good indicator of anythings possible next, I'd like to see the dark side of Goldfrapp explored further on their next album , if only so people will be begging for Head First mark 2 >:)
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-02-05 14:09:12
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • An epic tale is epic from beginning to end.
  • Yeah I can't think of anything can only think of a few things that come close (to being epic), other peoples ideas of epic are not necessarily the same as mine, but there we are eh
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-02-05 14:16:29
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • I just despise the use of the word epic to mean anything other than epic.
  •  I find certain moments of Tales of Us, have an 'epic' feel in the strings arrangements specifically,  that's what In was getting at really.

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-02-05 14:24:01
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Define epic.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!