Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Does anyone else prefer some of the b-sides to album tracks?
  • Will we ever get a b-side / unreleased / other sides collection?

Lee, Gone To EarthWhite Soft RopeBoys Will Be BoysBeautiful, We Radiate, All Night Operator etc etc......

Lee is my favourite track at the moment.

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-01-23 16:14:01
  • 11 Comments sorted by
  • 'Beautiful' and 'all night' are right up there with the best of Supernature, I'd say. Better than 'Lovely 2CU'.
  • Let's put it this way there should be more obscure Goldfrapp tracks as there are some real gems just sadly too few, it's perhaps an album's worth of material, shame it isn't two or three ;)
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Didnt they say in a HeadFirst era interview about there being a "drawer full" of finihsed tracks that haven't made the cut as didn't suit the style of the albums etc?
  • I find the b-sides very special somehow. It's almost like they have this extra mystical element or just plain character to them. They're actually some of my favorites.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • ^ I agree. Some of my most favorite Goldfrapp songs are B-sides. One day, when i win the lotto, I'll pay to have them play a night of B-sides and rarities. Wouldn't that be stellar?!
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • I love all those listed. The term, B-side makes them sound like they are 2nd rate tracks. Quite the opposite with our fave band. They are great songs.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • cw37frapp said:

I love all those listed. The term, B-side makes them sound like they are 2nd rate tracks. Quite the opposite with our fave band. They are great songs.

A side (side one), B-side (side two), more of an appropriate term to the era where there were just vinyl singles really. Most of The Goldfrapp singles sadly comprise of remixed or live tracks rather than an exclusive track which is a shame. B-Sides  can be the best of tracks and often the more experimental and less commercial ones.

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • ^ It makes me wonder why a track like "beautiful" is only a B-track, since a lot of people on this forum seem to like it very much. It is neither experimental nor "less commercial", is it?

• ^ didn't beautiful feature on a film soundtrack? I wonder if maybe there was a deal about providing it for the film and what they could do releasing it themselves, if you get what I mean. They played it live quite a bit in the SN tour, so I think they knew it was quite popular.

• ^ It makes me wonder why a track like "beautiful" is only a B-track, since a lot of people on this forum seem to like it very much. It is neither experimental nor "less commercial", is it?

I guess it is neither of those things no.

Time was when bands released great tracks that were not on albums, and the single really meant something, name check any great band of the 60's, 70's and 80's and you'll know what I mean.

To some 'Beautiful' is an album track, I think I am right in saying it is on the US version of Supernature but not the European ones.

'Yellow Halo' and 'Melancholy Sky' have that feel of great non album singles, even if they were made available just for the singles collection.

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • A_is_A said:

^ I agree. Some of my most favorite Goldfrapp songs are B-sides. One day, when i win the lotto, I'll pay to have them play a night of B-sides and rarities. Wouldn't that be stellar?!

Your love of them is stellar...and love overrides money every time.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!