Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • On Saturday night, on BBC4, there was a programme titled "When Albums Ruled the World" which annoyed me for a number of reasons. Here's just one thing: someone said that 'Sergeant Pepper' was the first concept album. Now, I've never been quite sure exactly what a concept album is, but I'm pretty sure that it should have an underlying concept, giving the album a certain unity. 'Sergeant Pepper' is the opposite of that. It was the first Beatles album in which it was abundantly clear that John, Paul and George were off on separate planets, whilst Ringo was just along for the ride.
  • 11 Comments sorted by
  • I meant to watch that, have seen already and quite liked it, maybe will watch on i-player.

The Wikipedia entry has the following to say regarding the concept:

When the Beatles had given up touring, Lennon said that they could
    "send out four waxworks ... and that would satisfy the crowds",[13] and McCartney later explained, "We were fed up with being the Beatles. We really hated that four little mop-top approach. We were not boys, we were men ... and thought of ourselves as artists rather than just performers".[14] In early February McCartney had the idea of recording an album that would represent a performance by a fictitious band.[15]
    This alter ego group would give the band the freedom to experiment
    musically. McCartney explained: "I thought, let's not be ourselves.
    Let's develop alter egos ... it won't be us making all that sound, it
    won't be the Beatles, it'll be this other band, so we'll be able to lose
    our identities in this".[16]
    Martin wrote of the fictitious band concept: "'Sergeant Pepper' itself
    didn't appear until halfway through making the album. It was Paul's
    song, just an ordinary rock number ... but when we had finished it, Paul
    said, 'Why don't we make the album as though the Pepper band really
    existed, as though Sergeant Pepper was making the record? We'll dub in
    effects and things.' I loved the idea, and from that moment on it was as
    though Pepper had a life of its own".[17]

The album starts with the title song, which introduces Sgt. Pepper's band itself; this song segues into a sung introduction for bandleader "Billy Shears" (Starr), who performs "With a Little Help from My Friends". A reprise version of the title song appears on side two of the album just prior to the climactic "A Day in the Life", creating a framing device.
    However, the band effectively abandoned the concept other than the
    first two songs and the reprise. Lennon was unequivocal in stating that
    the songs he wrote for the album had nothing to do with the Sgt. Pepper
    concept, and further noted that none of the other songs did either,
    saying "Every other song could have been on any other album".[18]
    In spite of Lennon's statements to the contrary, the album has been
    widely heralded as an early and groundbreaking example of the concept album.[19]

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • I don't often agree with John Lennon but, in this instance, I do.
  • If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Disc Two

If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Magnum Opus?

• Are Ms Bush's albums concept ones?  That hadn't previously occurred to me.
  • Not all of them.
  • Whenever I think of concept albums, I think of "Tommy" by The Who or "Desperado" by The Eagles.
  • Björk - Biophilia
    iamamiwhoami - bounty, kin
    Beck - songbook
    Beyoncé - BEYONCÉ
    Ely Guerra - Hombre Invisible

This are the ones I remember and love.
  • I'm probably the only person here who rates Pink Floyd's The Final Cut, a great concept album, albeit a very depressing one.

On the subject of concept albums, one of those rumors I've heard over the years is that The Beatles were somewhat inspired into making the sound of Sgt Pepper through Pink Floyd  recording The Piper at The Gates of Dawn  in the studio next door at the time, I don't know how true this actually is, but both are great records when the mood for hippy era psychedelia takes me.

Agreed with Iuventus, Kate Bush is the greatest when it comes to making concept albums, not least Ninth Wave, perhaps the best concept record ever made...
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-12-25 04:50:59
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • The Who's "Quadrophenia" always stands out to me as a great concept album. Quite the rock opera, too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!