Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 1299 Comments sorted by
  • ^ it's a load of crap whickwithy, stick with prime suspect
  • East Enders is a half hour drama serial with a couple of episodes each week (otherwise known as a soap opera).  A lot of people (apparently) watch it, but it's hard to see why.  I've never watched an episode, but occasionally see a snatch of it by accident.  It seems to concern miserable people being angry with each other.

But here's an interesting thing about it, Mr Whickwithy, to add to your mental store of such things.  East London postal districts ran from E1 to E18.  (I have the great good fortune to live in E11.)  So, they set East Enders in a fictitious E19.  As you may know, they built the Olympic site on derelict railway lands around Stratford (E15).  (I can recall, in the 1950s and 1960s, a huge and busy marshalling yard on the site.)  Post Olympics, they wanted to turn a lot of the site into housing, and decided to make it a new postal district.  And, because of East Enders, they decided to make the new postal district E20 rather than E19.  I don't suppose that anyone who's ever seen East Enders would want to live in E19.  Still, it seems remarkable that the numbering of a real place takes account of a fictitious one.
    Post edited by Pet at 2013-11-24 06:02:06
  • ping said:

^ it's a load of crap whickwithy, stick with prime suspect

Yeah, a soap opera??!?!  Sheesh!  I have yet to watch any from of Soap Opera.  I was hoping for something like "Good Neighbors" or whatever the British name for the show was, though maybe not quite so silly.  Just jolly, you know?
  • Pet said:

And, because of East Enders, they decided to make the new postal district E20 rather than E19.

Hahahaha!  Fascinating.  I just love little known stuff like this.  Hmmm, sounds like a good thread, though I doubt many would be interested.  I was reading on Wiki that it is a powerful influence on popular culture.  Too bad they didn't reference this.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-11-24 09:42:00
  • While we're on the subject of London postal districts, you may be interested to know that a lot of them are numbered in alphabetic order.  The ones I know best are the E (East) ones.

E1 is not alphabetic, being the Whitechapel area.  It's the area just east of the City of London (as you might expect).  It was, I think, known as "London E" in the 19th century, before the present day postal districts were devised.  Thereafter, it becomes alphabetic:

E2 Bethnal Green
    E3 Bow
    E4 Chingford (very much outer London)
    E5 Clapton
    E6 East Ham
    E7 Forest Gate
    E8 Hackney
    E9 Homerton
    E10 Leyton
    E11 Leytonstone
    E12 Manor Park
    E13 Plaistow
    E14 Poplar (in spite of the high number, immediately east of E1).
    E15 Stratford
    E16 seems to be out of sequence.  It's the Canning Town area.  Even if it's regarded as Silvertown, it's still slightly out of order.
    E17 Walthamstow
    E18 South Woodford (as Woodford, South?)
    E19 The fictitious Walford of East Enders, slightly out of order.
    E20 The new one... I think they call it East Village.  Obviously not in alphabetic order.
    Post edited by Pet at 2013-11-25 16:16:01
  • So, it's chaotic and doesn't help one find anything?  Sounds like Tokyo.  In Tokyo, the addresses are based on circles instead of lines.  In other words, if you walk around a block, the numbers follow you arond the block on the inner side of the circle.  Across the street, it's a different circle!

East village sounds like something from NYC.

That's a different Stratford than where Shakespeare was born?
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-11-26 07:42:43
  • ^ yes it's a different one.
  • Is anyone else shit at cooking. I dont know whether to blame my parents for not encouraging me, school for not teaching properly or me for pure thickness not leaning for myself all these years after leaving school.
    I follow ingredients but then I lose interest and rather someone else do for me. Only ever cooked Sunday lunch once in my life and that was stressful enough.
    Find it much easier to eat out! Anyone else like that? 
    :-??
  • I bought myself a microwave combination oven , for things like roasts , baked potatoes , tell the oven the weight and it does the rest. For actual cooking itself, I have about 6 things I can cook and that's my lot. But, recently my kids got well into Great British Bakeoff and we've made enough choc cookies and Angel cakes for Dad to put weight on, the only recipes I've ever used in my life and from the BBC website, so they weren't Nigella Einstein level.
    I have more of a problem deciding on the What to eat
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • always keep your chicken chilled before cooking

• Softlad coincidentally just reposted this on Twitter....`aye car-salmonella-rumba` . 

Post edited by Sartori at 2013-11-28 14:10:48
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • @Ping and @Sartori  LOL. Funny pics. The only problem thats put me off eating chicken now!!
  • Breakfast and barbecue is about it.  I find I can eat just fine without ever lighting the stove or opening the oven.  Too much trouble.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!