Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
TALES that would make a fine SONG of Tales of Us
  • In this discussion we can post films or books that we consider share the vibe of Tales of Us and would make a fine song. Wouldn't it be fun if Alison and Will saw this and ACTUALLY consider some?
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-11-10 08:23:03
  • 18 Comments sorted by
  • I SHALL START: 

Marianela by Benito Pérez Galdos

Is the story of a blind boy that falls in love with a charming girl, but she is not beautiful and things start to crumble when a doctor comes to town to cure his blindness, will he still love her once he sees she's not beautiful?

http://mispeliculasenlinea.blogspot.mx/2013/04/marianela-1972.html
  • The City and the Pillar by Gore Vidal (original ending) would chime very nicely with Clay. One of the first mainstream gay novels from the 50s, which was controversial for depicting gay men as... normal. You just know things are not going to be easy in this moving tale from America's most famous author.

The Life and Loves of a She-Devil by Fay Weldon. Forget the dire movie from Roseanne Barr, and even the sublime BBC adaptation. The book is written as a cautionary bedtime story, innocent and grotesque at the same time. I would love to hear Alison's take on the animalism behind the net curtains of suburbia.

• I heard Frapp had to drop the track 'Thatcher' from the album as it just didn't fit in....

I tale of one women's battle against ...er everyone.. that ends in dark times and much pain... very unpsettling song ... had a kind of My Bloody Valentine influence.
  • I'm sure that one ended up as Thea....

• @tattmaylor where did that come from? you sound as if you've heard it? OMG I would love to hear it, thanks for sharing your tales guys!
  • that's a good one tatt
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • The Sibyl by Par Lagerkvist

"In this powerful, poetic, and moving parable, the Wandering Jew of
    medieval Christian legend journeys to Delphi to consult the famed oracle
    of the pagans. He is turned away but not before learning that one of
    the most adept of the old priestesses, or sibyls, lives in disgrace in
    the mountains above the temple. In her rude goat-hut he seeks the
    meaning of his disastrous brush with the son of God. She reveals that
    she, too, has been touched by the son of a god, a very different son,
    not quite human, born of her own body. He dwells with her as a constant
    reminder of the betrayal of her mystical and erotic union with the
    divine, her punishment, and—perhaps—her redemption." (amazon.com)
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • That sounds tremendous @iuventus , it reminded me of Medusa and Perseo.
  • "Rhapsody: A Dream Novel" - by Arthur Schnitzler

Kubrick made the film "Eyes Wide Shut" out of it, so maybe not that fitting, but

"Fräulein Else" by the same should really kick ass as a tale-singing-song.
    To be honest at some point I expected another trad. Instrumental on TOU, maybe about a mute character or such, wouldn't that be a nice concept?
    soundcloud.com/hrknopf - whoop whoop, check check check
  • I SHALL START: 

Marianela by Benito Pérez Galdos

Is the story of a blind boy that falls in love with a charming girl, but she is not beautiful and things start to crumble when a doctor comes to town to cure his blindness, will he still love her once he sees she's not beautiful?

http://mispeliculasenlinea.blogspot.mx/2013/04/marianela-1972.html

I believe the Dutch movie 'Blind' may have been inspired by this as the story seems to be practically the same. :)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808174/?ref_=nm_knf_i4
  • @HrKnopf Oh my Goodness! you made my mind trip, a mute character would be fascinating, Alison is all about voice for me imagine someone that doesn´t have one? Which mute characters in art do we know? 
  • I will so watch taht film @Anoukvdm I bet it is based on that book too, it's quite an old book and very beautiful, Benito Pérez Galdos would be a sort of spanish Elizabeth Gaskell.
  • What a great idea! To be quite honest, I see Tales of Us as depictions of duality. A girl trapped inside the body of a boy..a soldier who is a lover, "Stranger, you're the in-between"...A duality within oneself. Look for them in the songs. I'm taking a clip from "The Company of Wolves"...Duality.

U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Stranger is about a soldier?... mhhh reminds me of the women the japanese military enslaved as comfort women (sex, so the soldiers wouldn't do something out of excitement or such)

WELL... to be honest I don't know that much mute persons and I don't remember any names :(
  • @Ponygurl actually annabel is a hermaphrodite, the duality still exists as you described it, but she is not trabbed in a boys body. As I understood it, she was forced to live under a male identity. correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!