Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Who should remix the first single 'Drew'?
  • 96 Comments sorted by
  • Alan said:

That's the problem that the majority of you impetuously assume REMIX = DANCE. It's not.

Even a slightly different version of a song IS a remix.

+1 on that Alan , I think there`s also an element thinking Goldfrapp are too good to have promote themselves via different genres as well . I`d want Goldfrapp to primarily remix it but if they did want dance , the only name I`d want is Joris Voorn (Detroit Techno) . To take it in a different direction -  Seven Lions can make atmospheric and somewhat euphoric direction with his remixes , this one he did for Florence - a stringy , harpy , synthy masterpiece , I`m sure Rewak will drop dead on hearing this ;)

Seven Lions - Cosmic Love (Florence and the Machine)
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-16 08:33:59
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Komet_16 said:

rewak said:

If you listen to Felt Mountains remixes most aren't that terrible save for some Utopia mixes. If you listen to Seventh Trees remixes your ears bleed.

I disagree here. I really like most of the remixes of ST. Some were quite leftfield like the Animal Collective Remix of Little Bird which I liked very much. Do I remember correctly you found this particular one atrocious?
    :D

I agree with you on HF. Only a few good remixes. I listen to the Penguin Prison remix as I type and quite like it. The Cereal Spille Remix of Alive also gave it a funny twist.

The Animal Collective Remix of 'Little Bird' is somewhat listenable. Not at first though.
    Penguin Prison's, Cereal Spiller's ones, don't like 'em much.

My fave ST remixes are:

Beyond The Wizards Sleeve
    Metronomy
    Rex The Dog (rejected by Goldfrapp)

Yeasayer did a fine job on 'Eat Yourself'.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • If The xx ever touch Goldfrapp I'll cry.

• I think where the confusion is coming in its the interpretation of 'remix'. I think those of us not so enthused for this era are thinking of those that do more to showcase the person or team doing the remix rather than the original track.

Also there's the different takes on when something is an edit, mix, remix, reworking, reinterpretation or version. We probably all have certain ones in our own heads that we'd class as each of them but by the sound of it we're not thinking of the same ones!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • I think those of us not so enthused for this era are thinking of those that do more to showcase the person or team doing the remix rather than the original track.

But don't fall these two categories together in case of a good remix? It showcases the original song and schowcases the remixer is capable of delivering a new version worth listening to because they offer a new aspect to the song?

That's what I liked about most good remix singles. The horizon of an album can be quite narrow sometimes. A remix done by someone from the outside has a different approach, adds something new and widens the horizon of an album. A genereic dance remix surely doesn't provide this but the new material doesn't lend itself to this.

• Sorry if some of you may disagree but:

Edit, mix, reworking, reinterpretation, version, they all are considered a remix.

Remix is simply a different version of the original recording. It's just that on paper sometimes, they are labeled differently or more specifically, i.e., edit, rework, reinterpretation, xyz version, etc.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Alan said:

Sorry if some of you may disagree but:

Edit, mix, reworking, reinterpretation, version, they all are considered a remix.

Remix is simply a different version of the original recording. It's just that on paper sometimes, they are labeled differently or more specifically, i.e., edit, rework, reinterpretation, xyz version, etc.

I know what you mean. The other expressions give more of an idea what has been done to the track. But since most remixes go into the 4 2 the floor direction this is what is typically associated with a remix.
  • Alan, you kinda missed the point of my post. I'll try and clarify it a bit.

What I was trying get across is that many people, for right or wrong, associate those different terms for different styles of mix. For example, in a lot of people's minds a 'version' is often very sympathetic to the original whereas the generally accepted use of the word 'remix' is the more different end result.

Yes, they are all mixes and yes, there are good and bad of all types, but there are definitely ones some of us would prefer to others with this current style of material.

Hope that makes a bit more sense.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Alan, you kinda missed the point of my post. I'll try and clarify it a bit.

What I was trying get across is that many people, for right or wrong, associate those different terms for different styles of mix. For example, in a lot of people's minds a 'version' is often very sympathetic to the original whereas the generally accepted use of the word 'remix' is the more different end result.

Yes, they are all mixes and yes, there are good and bad of all types, but there are definitely ones some of us would prefer to others with this current style of material.

Hope that makes a bit more sense.

Yes, it does make more sense. Sorry,  I guess I read through the previous post too quickly.
  • remix by David Lynch would be interesting. Also Emika. And yeah, some edits by Goldfrapp themselves, as they did for Utopia and Lovely Head
  • Oh my god, if iamamiwhoami remix a Goldfrapp track I'd lose my shit.  8-X
  • ^I'd love that!
  • Goldfrapp
    The Knife
    Crystal Castles
    Ladytron
    Trust
    Maya Postepski of Trust/Austra
    Cyril Hahn
    Issac Tichauer
  • (removed)
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-06-28 04:03:22
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!