Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Thea - Totem Mix by The Devious Corporation

I had a go at remixing Thea. There's a bit of an angry mob in there somewhere, so sit back, relax and grab a burning torch.

http://thevibes.me/2013/09/24/thea-totem-mix/
    Post edited by Sparky at 2013-09-24 17:08:40

• 12 Comments sorted by
  • Solid remix, lovely stuff...
  • Cheers Ryanoc91 :-D

• That was fun! It reminds me a bit of Ceronne's Supernature, which is fitting:)

LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • well done.. very textured, which gives a different feel... like hunt, it feels ground level, earthy but instead of a literal forest landscape, i imagine the jungle of a dying city, darkness ala becoming x.. pairing that gong clash with church pipes, very interesting... stuttering the gallops was pretty clever... i sense portishead was an inspiration..  
    Post edited by error60091 at 2013-09-25 11:38:17
  • Fabulous remix Sparky!

This is how it should be done :D 

• @A_is_A now that you mention it, I can hear it too. 

@error60091 Portishead, maybe subconsciously. The biggest influences are Toyah's Anthem album (loved her when I was Little Sparky) and my years spent in The Hacienda. I was mining the pagan theme that runs though BC, ST and some of TOU, so I went for real percussion - sharp metal, sticks and grunts. The whoops and screams are from an All Blacks haka...

@Jules thankyou - made my day!

• Post edited by Sparky at 2013-10-06 08:19:12

• I'm getting pirated on YouTube! I'm onto my third takedown notice as various jolly rogers try to pass my work off as their own. I was going to let it pass, flattered that they liked my stuff enough to steal it, but then I remembered the phenomenal amount of work involved in the remix and the video. And all for an amateur, fan-made tribute to my favourite band.

• Hey Sparky
    Just found this thanks to your latest post. Still running through old threads as a relative newbie.
    Loved this remix and the video is sooo atmospheric. Good job my man.
    Little Sparky was into Toyah huh? I was into that from Sheep Farming to Changeling, then it started to tail off with Minx when she herself stepped back from the band image.
    PM me and tell me about little Sparky's time with 'tatty head', (as my mates Dad called her). Perhaps we have shared experiences!
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Thanks, Urban Tribesman! I got into Toyah through my best mate at school who also introduced me to Adam and the Ants and Hazel O'Connor. It doesn't get more colourful than that. We went to see the Changeling tour, and The Vow, and her energy on stage was stunning. Force of nature. Anthem, the album had some freaky soundscapes and name checked The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Monty Python, which were two huge obsessions of mine at the time. I loved all that fantasy tribal stuff, and it was going through my head when I did my mix of Thea. I just checked on YouTube, and there's a bit of Masai Boy in there somewhere...

• I just checked on YouTube, and there's a bit of Masai Boy in there somewhere...

Rise o sun. Golden one ! Anthem was an album ahead of its time. 33 years ago. Wow ! I really love Jungles of Jupiter and particularly 'I am' the way the synths swirl around at the end, fabulous. It persuaded me to buy my first synth, a Roland JX3P. As for energy, Toyah did a dance to Ieya where she had two little round mirrors on straps in the palm of her hand and twirled and danced around the stage for the full 8 minute version of that song, flicking these mirrors in the spotlights that tracked her, with the reflections flashing into the audience. It sounds basic by today's standards but really effective in its time. You can see it on YouTube where she is dancing around a massive Native American warrior. Ah, memories.
    Love is the law, Love under a will. Fraternally, 666.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-05-07 16:35:43
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I was listening to 'I Am' just  before I read this! It was hypnotic at the end, and it used to bring my teenage heart rate down. Toyah was hugely underrated and her husband still marvels at her lyrics to this day. I must say, looking back her work has matured rather than dated. She sounds better than I remember.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!