Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Tales Of Us remixes
  • I'm sure there will be lots of remixes for this album, so I thought we'd keep and discuss them in a special thread.
    Here's the first one for Annabel
    Post edited by subrussian at 2013-09-13 12:55:49
  • 22 Comments sorted by
  • omg awful :(

I had a go at remixing Thea. There's a bit of an angry mob in there somewhere, so sit back, relax and grab a burning torch.

http://thevibes.me/2013/09/24/thea-totem-mix/

• Sparky said:

I had a go at remixing Thea

Totally brilliant!!! I love the way that you've enhanced it by still respecting the work of the band.  I hate remixes where you can no longer make out the original track.  It personally would love to hear all your other remixes now too.  Also, I'm hoping that you might be persuaded to remix every DM single post 1993 as 90% of them since then have been appalling.
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • Oh, I just detest remixes these days.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Aw thanks, mode_devotion! I'm the same as you - respect the original. My other stuff is here on my Cosmic Jukebox and I have to say the best remix/reinterpretation EVER...is Goldfrapp's version of Mode's halo.

• Sparky said:

Aw thanks, mode_devotion! I'm the same as you - respect the original. My other stuff is here on my Cosmic Jukebox and I have to say the best remix/reinterpretation EVER...is Goldfrapp's version of Mode's halo.

I was very excited when it was announced that one of my favourite bands had remixed my other favourite band. Halo is my favourite DM song and so the expectation was through the roof.  Or maybe a guaranteed recipe for disappointment.  I love the Goldfrapp remix as a Goldfrapp track and treat it as such.  However, as a DM track it didn't respect the original enough in my opinion.  My major issue is that the magic of the song is not simply the lyrics but the way the crescendo is layered.  The remix has a clever "new" crescendo but at the expense of losing the old one.  I just wish that it somehow blended into the original near the end in order to retain all the Alan Wilder magic.  The irony is that the orginal song is full of orchestral strings which is what I was expecting Will to grab hold of and enhance.

All that said, it is still one of the best DM remixes ever made. 

On the flip slide I was very excited to hear DM play the Goldfrapp remix live but disappointed at Depeche for not adding a video wall of Alison doing the lyrics to her bit.  Ideally Dave should not be singing Alison's part.

Is my life just full of disappointment.  Maybe.  Am I an OCD perfectionist that expects unrealistic things?  Totally!
  • Sparky said:

My other stuff is here on my Cosmic Jukebox

I never knew about Winter Wonderland.  Fantastic!
  • I love the remixes. But what i will say is there will probably be none as good as the Strict Machine and Ride a White Horse ones now.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • cw36frapp said:

I love the remixes. But what i will say is there will probably be none as good as the Strict Machine and Ride a White Horse ones now.

Well I'm only an amateur doing it for fun....

• Sparky said:

cw36frapp said:

I love the remixes. But what i will say is there will probably be none as good as the Strict Machine and Ride a White Horse ones now.

Well I'm only an amateur doing it for fun....

Its nice if others like it , but ultimately if you like it then it`s Mission Accomplished . Its not to my taste but I hope the experience was enjoyable .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Uh oh, just caught on that it was yours, Sparks. What I meant was that I hate them all but this one.

OK, I didn't even listen to it. I was just making a general comment about remixes. Sorry.
  • @Sartori - I started to enjoy it and then it became a real pain to get it finished. But I'm getting some fab reviews so I'm beaming :-D

@iuventus - that's cool, you've been very good to me so no worries!

• Does this mean that we're dating now? It looks like Cervus has left me.
  • Ok then, it's your round. Mine's a large one.

• *whistles*

"Another pot of An Ji Bai Cha for the Goldfrapp party, Zhuping!"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!