Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Setlists - more variety, please
  • 54 Comments sorted by
  • rewak said:

I must be the only person who thinks Little Bird is completely mind numbingly boring live.

would'nt say any Goldfrapp song/track boring live.... 1st thing in life i can say was/is 100% perfect..... :-bd
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • Anything from Felt Mountain (no really, anything!)
    Monster Love, Cologne Cerrone Houdini (with the strings live whoa!)
    Time Out From The World (re-arrange the keyboard strings to live strings and look what happens!)
    Eat Yourself
    Some People
    Monster Love
    Boys WIll Be Boys. <- (!)
    and include Thea. Seriously. It would work so well live.

...would be tracks that would add to this era's style really well. Keep it well rounded and consistent. Like the album is a whole as well. Not broken into singles. The setlist should be treated equally, not just add a few hits to please people.
    Screw the electronic hits they always perform over and over and over again. It is time for a playlist that compliments the new album. I even remember theat live radio version of 'It's Not Over Yet'. They could even include thát if they have a license to perform it. The guitar and strings were stunning.

[edited for typos and oddities]
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-09-28 09:56:39
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • rewak said:

I must be the only person who thinks Little Bird is completely mind numbingly boring live.

No, you are not.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • I would gladly trade in "You Never Know" or  "Number 1"

You Never Know is one of my all time favourite tracks.  I really missed it being played during the Manchester shows, imagine the violin crescendo alongside the real orchestra (that would've been incredible!).

In a nutshell, please leave "You Never Know" alone, as for me I would pay the ticket price for just that song.  However, I totally agree with you about Number 1 (I just don't get it at all) - however as I know that it's popular with everyone else I doubt that anyone else would agree.

Apparently Fleetwood Mac played for 2 hours recently and so lets have a longer set (maybe with a long instrumental break in the middle to rest Alison's voice).
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • rewak said:

The last few minutes of Little Bird live are fantastic, it's all that "crow stuff" that you have to sit through first before the excitement kicks in that bores me. In an ideal world they could do a medley where the first half of Little Bird gets conveniently lost in a folk museum. However, even the dreaded first half sounds better live than the album version which I'll probably never play again.

The on-stage musicians seem to improve with every tour. Little Bird was much improved (almost like a Genesis gig) and Alvar was simply stunning.
    Post edited by mode_devotion at 2013-09-27 20:09:33
  • Stranger said:

...would be tracks that would add to the Seventth Three era really well.

Excuse me, but what are you on.....?

;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Is there actually anyone here who likes Little Bird?
    Post edited by Low at 2013-09-28 05:01:18

• I love it 100%.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Got to say i don't mind any GF track as i like them all, so i don't mind any live tracks i'll enjoy them all...
    but i may of said earlyer in this thread i would love to hear : Ride A White Horse, Ohh La La, Train, Strict Machine & Beautiful Live then i'll be the happiest Frapper ever..... ;) :D
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • I would gladly trade in "You Never Know" or  "Number 1"

You Never Know is one of my all time favourite tracks.  I really missed it being played during the Manchester shows, imagine the violin crescendo alongside the real orchestra (that would've been incredible!).

In a nutshell, please leave "You Never Know" alone, as for me I would pay the ticket price for just that song.  However, I totally agree with you about Number 1 (I just don't get it at all) - however as I know that it's popular with everyone else I doubt that anyone else would agree.

Apparently Fleetwood Mac played for 2 hours recently and so lets have a longer set (maybe with a long instrumental break in the middle to rest Alison's voice).

I agree and love you never know, it is so epic live.

I read Lemmy from Motorhead saying how he hates his song Ace Of Spades, but accepts he HAS to play it live as this is what the punters want to hear, well most of them anyway. The thing about live music is that the audeinece is not soley comprising obsessive fans and there are casual listeners drawn to the show because they like the big hits, it's usually a bit of an obligation for bands/artists to play well known songs and it makes commercial sense to do so.

When I saw Goldfrapp two years ago at Hackney St. Johns whilst I loved it, I got the impression a lot of the punters were not that into it as it was not the kind of show they expected, the arrogant bastards were talking throughout the set. I fear a more obscure show would go over the heads of most punters (with the exception of the Tales of Us previews etc).

I haven't seen the frapp enough times to say what songs I would not want to hear, can understand how some of you are bored of hearing certain songs, but to be on the safe side they do need to play a good half a dozen well known songs so as to not alienate the casual listener, they are important and generate arguably an equal if not more revenue than the obsessive fan*, that's my take any way. Play what you like Goldfrapp, I am sure I will love it if I am there ;)

* arguably I am a bit of an obsessive fan ;)
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-09-28 08:27:16
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Dreeke said:

Excuse me, but what are you on.....?
    ;)

I dunno but I think I want more, OR less. :D
  • I know what Lemmy means, their greatest hits become their albatross's.
    I went to another bands gig around 2007 and their biggest hit just went over my head, so when I got home I posted on their forum that they hadnt played it. The band went on Gideon Coes Radio 6 show about 2 days later, little did I know that Gideon did his research off the forum....so he asked the band why they hadnt played it live on Radio and they told him they had, leaving Coe looking a tit, um...oops haha albatross's.
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Little Bird is astonishingly over-rated to these ears. The lyrics are dreadful. "Flies from a to be, to see what she can see, she's far away from me"???!? WHAT???
  • LolliCruz said:

Little Bird is astonishingly over-rated to these ears. The lyrics are dreadful. "Flies from a to be, to see what she can see, she's far away from me"???!? WHAT???

Exactly! However, the end bit is mostly instrumental with nice la la's from Alison and so it suddenly redeems itself at that point.  Here's an idea, a purely instrumental version with just the la, la bits.  I even surprise myself sometimes.  :D
  • there's nothing wrong with little brid great track... B-) :)
    Love Goldfrapp.....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!