Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • I'm going to start a thread for Ulla cause why not. It's a calm, provoking transition from the cinematic soundscapes of Jo, Annabel, and Drew. With it's swirling pianos, melancholic cello, and stirring strings I instantly feel as though I'm living with off the land in western Canada by the lakes and forests. I can feel the sunlight dancing through the trees and shimmering on the water. I feel undertones of loneliness as if I'm traveling around the world while a loved one is at home missing me dearly. The guitar strumming in the second verse adds so much to the song; it just instantly lifts it up and give the song a whole new depth of meaning.

It's just a simply fantastic. I especially love the deeply intimate and emotional tone of her voice and melodic progression of the cello when she sings "I know you're waiting/Carry me there". Just... ugh, amazing.
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • Hart said:

I especially love the deeply intimate and emotional tone of her voice and melodic progression of the cello when she sings "I know you're waiting/Carry me there".

me too :)
  • There wasn't a thread for Ulla yet? Shame on us.

• Always ask the lake you'll get all the answers

• My hands-down favorite lyrics on the whole album. Just love this song.
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • I'll admit.. didnt get this one from the getgo.. and i think its because i didnt connect with it lyrically and because the other tracks are overwhelming, musically.. but i am warming up to ulla.. feel like a pirate listening to this one..
  • This is the song I love the least, but lovely lyrics yeah.
  • I realised I had no f**king idea what she was saying for most of the song when I saw the lyrics. After reading them, it was like hearing the song in a whole new way.

• That's how most of her songs work out for me. I get an image in my head about the meaning of the song based on what I hear, and then I read the lyrics and everything I perceived about it kind of gets thrown out the window.
  • So could Ulla be that "Ask The Lake" song, listed on ASCAP database?
  • So could Ulla be that "Ask The Lake" song, listed on ASCAP database?

that would be my guess

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!