Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • We don't have a thread for "Stranger" yet?

Such an incredible song. One of the strongest melodies on the album and definitely a song that could have come from Felt Mountain.

I just adore it.
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • 80 Comments sorted by
  • I think stranger a beautiful song,and as a long term john barry fan,its a song most connected with his style
  • The drop and lift starting with "every word is soft as fur...." about 1:30 onwards is glorious but the next "do or die" one is even better. It's ridiculously cinematic and emotive yet kept subtle & simple at the same time.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • it's interesting that this year there will be a film adaptation shooting for the novel that inspired Alison for Stranger - "Carol". Would be nice if they'd pick it for the soundtrack :) Though it's about 50's, but still.
    Post edited by subrussian at 2013-09-13 17:53:22
  • jasefrazz said:

I think stranger a beautiful song,and as a long term john barry fan,its a song most connected with his style

yes yes YES.........fierce 
  • since there are individual threads for the songs, i might as well piecemeal my impressions about each under them...

easily my favorite from the record... like jo, there's something comforting, lullaby-like about it... stranger is goldfrapp's Lovesong (i've also thought that, it's in a way, also their "walk on by")..

like annabel, it's beautifully ambiguous... it's A&W's lovesong, addressed to someone, to me, to everyone and to no one..  lyrically, there's something whitman going on... at least when i thought it was "everyone is soft as fur"... and as stevil notes, there's a ferocity for example, with "fire rushes through everything" or so i initially heard (it's like walking past a person you've first met or hardly know but feel you've known them from another life... like the one who can set your world on fire, passionately...)  there is pure love, yet to be shared and yet there's also a pure heartache, as if something's transpired... stranger is about longing, about that inherent desire to connect ("make me remember you") in spite of the walls and obstacles either already there, or the ones we set up for ourselves...

i also see it as A&W's nod to their fans ("Taken by the crowd a tide"), esp in concert...

with that last "never know" Alison sings in the mif version, i melted. 
    Post edited by error60091 at 2013-09-13 23:44:51
  • *spoiler* A short is already made. It's about a lesbian serial killer luring strangers on a beach...
    not much to say over at nowness.com
  • God,let it be Bellucci!
  • Yay!! I'm so glad this is one of the videos. :)
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • ugh please don't hate me for this......but my friend and i can't stop laughing every listen @ 2:13 there's a little Babs lost her Buttah vocals going on there....or Linda Lavin singing the theme song from Alice tv series in the late 70's.....just sayin'....repeats again @ 3:18...    oy.....
    Post edited by stevil at 2013-09-25 00:22:46
  • Or Patti LuPone.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS  YOU HEARD IT LOL
  • Strangaahhh...
  • Can anyone else hear the whistling of someone's nose on the guitar track at the beginning and end? This drove me crazy the first couple times I listened to this song. Still makes me a bit itchy actually, but the song is so beautiful that I really couldn't care less.
  • Hart said:

Can anyone else hear the whistling of someone's nose on the guitar track at the beginning and end? This drove me crazy the first couple times I listened to this song. Still makes me a bit itchy actually, but the song is so beautiful that I really couldn't care less.

I noticed lol. At the beginning I thought it was coming from the leak quality, but when I finally bought the album it was still there !

Btw I disagree with that lesbian serial killer story if you refer to Patricia Highsmith book (Carol), talking about two women who fall in love despite their two different worlds. There's no murder in it and this is Stranger.
    After all the interviews and articles I read, I conclude that the 5 films are : Jo, Annabel, Drew, Laurel and Clay. The lesbian serial killer is probably from Jo if you refer to the murderous lyrics... Just saying.
  • The lesbian serial killer storyline rumor--true oe false--is attributed to the video, not to the song.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!