Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 143 Comments sorted by
  • Last book i read was borrowed from the library. A Kate Bush one. I do not read many books. Just Mags and a paper every day.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • "Decade of the Wolf" by Smith and Ferguson - the story of the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone National Park. I'm going to have to get me some of them.

• i've been walking past one of these on someone's front lawn on my way up to the corner store. my reaction has generally been in the realm of "huh. look at that" but just now i stopped and took a book. it kinda felt like stealing, even though it says it's free

anyway i took "fierce invalids home from hot climates" by tom robbins because i'm pretty sure i liked "even cowgirls get the blues." i should probably read it quick and get it back :3
  • The Life by Martina Cole. Strong stuff as usual :)>-
  • "Islands in the Sky" by Arthur C. Clarke.  What an amazing writer.
  • You guys all read intelligent, arty, thought provoking books which is good. I read filth by the looks of things :\">
  • You guys all read intelligent, arty, thought provoking books which is good. I read filth by the looks of things :\">

Recommendations for filth?  :D
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • Any Martina Cole book really. Puts 50 Shades of Shite to shame!
  • 50 Shades of Shite

=))

Post edited by mode_devotion at 2013-10-05 06:00:46
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • I am down with a miserable cold, so why not read? Since watching The Company of Wolves, I decided to read it online. It's actually from a collection of modernist fairytales called "The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories" by Angela Carter. Last year there was even a competition to redesign the illustrations..cool.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2013-11-29 17:57:15
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I added "The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories" to my Kindle, a while back, but haven't yet started to read it.  I'd be interested to know what you think Ms Ponygurl.
  • ^ I never did finish it..but let me know if you start it and we could read it together and discuss it if you want.. :D

I've had a story I've been wanting to write myself...but have a hard time disciplining myself. I start, then stop...start, stop. It's very time consuming and requires meditation space I've realized..peace. It's about Genetic Modification of the human species. I was thinking of a Robin Cook medical thriller approach.

Here's the synopsis- (it has to do with imposed genetic engineering and eugenics, basically bio-fascism)

The story opens right after WWII, when the Nazi regime discovered it could genetically mutate DNA through chemical stress. The mutation in question is that of a heat shock protein which in fact will cause skin to turn white through exposure to heat or friction.

Now jump to modern times. A large cosmetics/chemical company has control of the entertainment world. A 'youth code' is in place, were descendants of the Nazi regime, or Nazi youth continue experiments with human DNA. The chemical 'cosmetics' are applied to one of the most famous and creative geniuses of our time. He is an amazing creative light in the world. The chemical is in all the products, but according to dose and duration of application..results vary. The man in question is Afro-American. As his skin turns white, he endures severe psychological distress and ridicule from the public. His torment lasts for years.

The condition is described as an inherited genetic auto-immune disease. Since the 50's the cosmetic company has implemented the chemicals which force this mutation. The gene mutation is then inherited but is expressed when the chemical is present. Long story short...he finds out and they have him killed.

Jump to present day where the Nazi-front cosmetic firm changes hands. Although now in better hands, the Nazi 'youth code' is still in place. The book will end with a huge exposé and justice being served. Sweet Justice.

Themes will include-
    * loss of identity through genetic manipulation
    * loss of human rights through imposed and secret genetic engineering- basically fascism
    * truth and justice

Now if only I can commit myself to writing! Got any pointers Pet?!
    U R I E L
  • Goodness, Ms Ponygurl!

That sounds to me like way too much for a long short story.  It has the look of enough for a trilogy, if you're not to swamp the reader.  I'd advise you to bear in mind that fiction is (essentially) about people, rather than ideas.  What you have is world-building material.  What you need to start writing your story is a group of characters and a situation.  You should be able to place yourself inside the skin of at least one character.  I would suggest that this is unlikely to be your Afro-American man, who should perhaps be viewed from a distance.  I'd recommend that, at the start, your narrator (or otherwise central character) should be young -- a child or teenager.  That way, you can follow the person as she or he moves into adulthood, know the character more fundamentally than you could if you'd introduced her or him as a fully fledged adult.  (Or, at least, not spend too much time spiralling into the character's backstory.) In the case of the world you propose, the central character could start believing that all is benign, to realise slowly what is wrong.  Apart from some characters, you need  a starting situation.  This is much less than a plot (although, if you have one of those, scribble it down somewhere).  The situation includes such things as what (in the short term) is happening, how do the characters make their living, and so on.  If you find, as the thing develops, that your plot (if any) works, stick with it.  If the plot isn't working, change it.  Fiction is about (as I said) people -- and they, not a preconceived plot, should drive the action.  That's what I think, anyway.

Moving on, I still haven't started with Angela Carter.  Maybe we could read it together some time.  Just now, I'm reading the third novel in this fun compilation: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Girl-Detective-Megapack-Classic-ebook/dp/B00EZVS8H2/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1396083953&sr=1-1&keywords=girl+detective+megapack.  At 37p (and, I assume, a similarly low price in the USA) for 25 girl detective novels it's brilliant value.  The first two were a lot of fun, and the third one seems to be shaping up quite nicely.  Yea Mary Louise Gay!
  • Excellent advice Pet! Thankyou! You've given me a compelling idea to open the story and start the plot... ;)
    Btw, I loooove girl mystery/detective novels...I used to read Nancy Drew growing up.. :-bd
    U R I E L

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!