Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Which albums, upon release, disappointed you?
  • 77 Comments sorted by
  • saizo said:

Ladytron - Gravity the Seducer

haha i really liked this one! i can't judge it in the context of their previous albums, though. i've never been a fan of ladytron, something about them just bores me. gravity the seducer was the first whole album of theirs i bothered listening to, and it was perfect background music for what i was reading at the time, so i loved it. though to be fair i haven't really listened to it since

Jo_ey said:

Yes, my 2 favorites!  :P

I also like "Steppin' Up" and "Lovalot".

oh jeez i don't even remember those ones
  • Oh yeah! Gravity the seducer has a few nice tracks but when I first listened I thought they were taking the piss and the proper album would be out later. Still good live.
  • Actually MOST comeback albums (after a long absense) are very disappointing whether that is to do with the time gap or the quality.

BUT one big one i forgot:

Kraftwerk - Electric Café

While nowhere near my favourite Kraftwerk albums, I have a very soft spot for Electric Cafe. I listen to it often. I associate it with a particular time in my life that I remember fondly.

Re Kate Bush, I love Lionheart. I thinknit is such an underated album, always overshadowed by The Kick Inside. I listen to Lionheart far more than the Kick Inside. I find it a gentle, more focussed album when compared to The Kick Inside.

A few more albums to add to the list:

Innocence Mission - Umbrella.
    Major disappoitment after their ambitious and varied debut album. I've never recovered from disappointment with Umbrella.

Belly - King
    Two great tracks (Super-connected and Now They'll Sleep) and that's it. I never got over my disappointment with it either.

Pet Shop Boys - Yes and Elysium
    It's like they were just going through the motions. Nothing memorable on either album really. Probably won't overcome my disappointment with both albums.
    Post edited by Archway at 2013-10-20 02:21:47
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • The Knife's Shaking the Habitual.
    Do I really need to explain why?

• Eliza Doolittles new one. My daughter has met her. She was really nice. So i want to like her music. Sadly i do not. Pack up is good. From her first album. All the rest are average/listenable at best, or poor.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Low said:

The Knife's Shaking the Habitual.

I agree with you. I was disappointed by it and still don't understand why it got such good reviews. I listened to it a few times with the hope that I would get into it, but it just leaves my indifferent.
    Post edited by Archway at 2013-10-20 02:21:12
    I hope that you die in a decent pair of shoes
    You got a lot more walking to do where you're going to.
  • Low said:

The Knife's Shaking the Habitual.

No need for an explanation lol. Massive anticipation.
    There are a few beautiful tracks on it. Just hidden beneath the shit. Theres an important message in the artwork somewhere. Either that or theyre taking the piss.
  • I tried a search for florence and the machine on this site (the search here is such a disappointment after the last site) and, unfortunately, found, mostly, a lot of disappointment on this thread for their latest release.  But, I'm guessing that means that some releases have knocked a few people over in the past.  I was wondering if I could get any recommendations?  I just heard a song of theirs on the movie "Snow White and the Huntsman" (which I loved) and I really enjoyed the song.  After checking a few songs on Youtube, they seem as close to the power, beauty, depth, complexity, and variousness(?) of Goldfrapp that I've ever run across.  Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.  I may end up just getting whatever CD that "Breath of Life" is on or get the soundtrack.  I tend to like soundtracks a lot becuase of the exposure to a lot of good tunes by various artists.  Yes, the verbose me is back, at least for one email.
  • Just a few faves of mine released this year:

Natalie Merchant - s/t
    Lykke Li - I Never Learn
    Marissa Nadler - July
    Snowbird - Moon
    The Honey Trees - Bright Fire --- (love them)
    I Break Horses - Chiaroscuro
    Dillon - The Unknown
    Rebekka Karijord - Music for film and theatre
    Melanie de Biasio - No Deal

From the top of my head...

I'm quite sure there's more...

;)
    Post edited by Dreeke at 2014-05-12 19:40:12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Made a sort of a collection on spotify, hope this link works:

http://open.spotify.com/user/andrekuijpers/playlist/6srVyFj6JrLx1XwfV0PTw7
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Dreeke said:

Just a few faves of mine released this year:

Natalie Merchant - s/t
    Lykke Li - I Never Learn
    Marissa Nadler - July
    Snowbird - Moon
    The Honey Trees - Bright Fire --- (love them)
    I Break Horses - Chiaroscuro
    Dillon - The Unknown
    Rebekka Karijord - Music for film and theatre
    Melanie de Biasio - No Deal

From the top of my head...

I'm quite sure there's more...

;)

They all disappointed you?

You've had an unfortunate year so far in that case!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • I tried a search for florence and the machine on this site (the search here is such a disappointment after the last site) and, unfortunately, found, mostly, a lot of disappointment on this thread for their latest release.  But, I'm guessing that means that some releases have knocked a few people over in the past.  I was wondering if I could get any recommendations?  I just heard a song of theirs on the movie "Snow White and the Huntsman" (which I loved) and I really enjoyed the song.  After checking a few songs on Youtube, they seem as close to the power, beauty, depth, complexity, and variousness(?) of Goldfrapp that I've ever run across.  Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.  I may end up just getting whatever CD that "Breath of Life" is on or get the soundtrack.  I tend to like soundtracks a lot becuase of the exposure to a lot of good tunes by various artists.  Yes, the verbose me is back, at least for one email.

The debut album, Lungs, is usually regarded as their best. But I didn't find their latest release (and by that I mean 2011), Ceremonials, disappointing at all. It's an outstanding album.

• Going back a bit for these but both have come back to me recently due to being in Spain again.
    I bought the first Keane and Coldplay albums when I last visited and was in a record shop in Barcelona in 2004 when we saw the Frapp at Sala Razamattaz. Hopes and Fears had just been released and I bought Parachutes at the same time even though it was then nearly 4 years old. I loved both those albums, and they remain frequent plays on my IPod. Since then, I have found nothing these two otherwise fine groups release to be quite as good as an overall package of songs. I bought The Iron Sea by Keane but was disappointed in it. Sure there are some good tracks like Atlantic and The Iron Sea but for me, that was it and I rarely play the album and have bought nothing of theirs since. For Coldplay, Shivers and Spies and fantastic songs IMHO and I have tried to persevere with them and have several albums after this but nothing I feel that matches this first outing and if I play a Coldplay album, it will invariably be Parachutes.
    I wonder if they both suffered from the famous second album complex or was it just me?
    I also really liked KT Tunstall's first two albums, Eye to the Telescope and Drastic Fantastic but found Tiger Suit disappointing. She is brilliant live though. Have seen her twice and she is full of personality on stage and a witty raconteur, as well as a naughty Minx ! I reckon she would be great to go out for a beer with. Her latest album, Invisible Empire/Crescent Moon was a return to form for me and well worth a listen. If you get a chance, see her live on a solo concert without her band. Magical.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-05-14 17:57:27
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Archway said:
    Re Kate Bush, I love Lionheart. I thinknit is such an underated album, always overshadowed by The Kick Inside. I listen to Lionheart far more than the Kick Inside. I find it a gentle, more focussed album when compared to The Kick Inside.

Hey Archway. I know what you mean about The Kick Inside. A good album, but there are better. To quote Peter Griffin from Family Guy, 'It insists upon itself' . I puzzled for a time as to what this meant as, like all good comedy, Family Guy parodies real life; hence why it is so funny. I eventually took the phrase to mean that you have to like it, because everyone else likes it so, if you do not, everyone thinks you are odd because you are not validating the accepted view. You should never be afraid to stand up for your own views. In the long run, who really cares what other people think. Life is not a popularity contest contrary to what some people think.
    I think Never Forever is one of Kate's best and again is the most played KB album on my IPod.

While on the subject of views, I have never got on board the Florence and the Machine boat. I've listened, found her vocals invariably 'shouty' and in no way comparable to Alison Goldfrapp.
    Same with Elbow. Guy comes across on the radio as a nice 'Guy' but I find the music samey and derivative.
    All a bit emperors new clothes for me. Sorry F&TM and Elbow fans !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-05-14 16:37:03
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Thanks, Low.  Leaves me pondering...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!